1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does God allow suffering? Red pill part 1

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by embodiment of luck, Feb 28, 2021.

1. embodiment of luck

embodiment of luck Fapstronaut

I was interested in answering this question for very long time, and I won't bother you with the bible, nor I will bother you with theology. I imagine many atheists will read this one, however this will not be a personal attack on atheists nor attack on their beliefs. I am only interested in answering this question in the logical way. Without further ado let's get started. The answer to this question lies in understanding social science, or understanding mouse utopia experiment or Behavioral sink. Idea of experiment was to place mouse population in the safe environment without predators, and unlimited access to food and water. What can go wrong? In the 1962 study, John B. Calhoun described the behavior as follows:

Many [female rats] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organization of the animals showed equal disruption. ...

The common source of these disturbances became most dramatically apparent in the populations of our first series of three experiments, in which we observed the development of what we called a behavioral sink. The animals would crowd together in greatest number in one of the four interconnecting pens in which the colony was maintained. As many as 60 of the 80 rats in each experimental population would assemble in one pen during periods of feeding. Individual rats would rarely eat except in the company of other rats. As a result extreme population densities developed in the pen adopted for eating, leaving the others with sparse populations.

... In the experiments in which the behavioral sink developed, infant mortality ran as high as 96 percent among the most disoriented groups in the population

I will continue with this topic in part 2, because I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information. I just want to close this topic with the reminder that anyone can be Red pilled: Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Jews and so on. But no man can be 100% objective, 100% Red pilled, that privilege does not belong to us mortals. See you next time.

2. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

3. who cares about red pill, green pill is the way to go

Loving Loveless and Mr Gef like this.
  4. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Underground Pill = Best Pill?

5. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

Are you really going to speak for God as to why it allows suffering?

6. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Pills in all colours of the rainbow and the debate over the genitalia of an omnipotent spiritual being mentioned already. As a wise man once said: “I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

embodiment of luck likes this.
  7. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

And yet everybody believes themselves to be a part of this 1%

CarP and FellatiousD like this.
  8. embodiment of luck

Wrong.

9. embodiment of luck

I am not mocking God, read again.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  10. embodiment of luck

My conclusion comes in the second part, If you believe in God than you should believe that God gave us brain to use it, and understand why He can't give us utopia.

YoungLenny likes this.
  11. embodiment of luck

I have to agree with you, remember I am discussing about suffering and about my conclusion why did we get this reality and what is
    alternative. If people want to talk about God and theology they have every right to do so.

12. embodiment of luck

Red pill is the way to go.

13. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I'm just going to left this here for those that think god is male.

V∧DΞR likes this.
  14. ineedtobealive

ineedtobealive New Fapstronaut

suffering allows us to grow indivijually

15. embodiment of luck

Why does God allow suffering? Red pill part 2

This experiment with rats is very revealing for many reasons, this experiment answers the question about relationship between living beings and utopia. Many of us asked a question why doesn't God just give us perfect world that doesn't have disease, war and suffering. This is a
    fair question, and the answer to that question is terrifying: "We just can’t stand it". We have seen what was happening with rats in environment that seems desirable at first but end it up in the horror. You might say that this is just with the rats, but I wouldn't agree, we have more than this experiment to prove that humanity can’t stand utopia.

Historian Arnold Toynbee studied 28 different great civilizations and found the same pattern, great civilizations commit suicide, Anne Glyn Joness spent 9 years studying how civilizations decline. If you ask me there is no evidence to show that the human species can stand perfection and long time peace. Perhaps suffering and diseases serve as to sharpen our feelings of empathy. If we lose reasons to sympathize our emotions would lose their sharpness, and we would lose our senses of humanity. We expect so much from God not realizing that we offer so little.

So if you ever wonder why does God allows suffering this is my logical answer. I am not here to offer you a satisfying answer, but the honest one, and this topic doesn't tell's us much about God as much it tells us about humanity. If you are atheist you will have hard time blaming God for this mess, but like I said this wasn't attack on atheists and their beliefs. I am holding a mirror to show you how does our humanity looks like in the best circumstances, and the conclusion is: If there is no problem, we will create one.

16. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Funny of you all to think god has even a concept of what suffering is...

Upwards2020 likes this.
  17. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I was always of the mindset that the answer to the problem lies in the arena of love. As God is love and makes us creatures who are free to love (or not, since love can only be love if offered freely), unfortunately humans also make many choices contrary to love - contrary to God, contrary to fellow human beings, and contrary to themselves (e.g., addictions, among many other examples). This I understand as the beginning of sufferings and its ongoing experience in human generations. But, it never was intended to be that way. Yet, having evolved that way, even suffering can be embraced with a loving motivation (especially on behalf of another - like when one might labor to ease another person's suffering) to make it at least more bearable but also somewhat redemptive and noble in human existence.

That's all! No pills, not propaganda, no part 2.

Best wishes!

18. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

the worlds a fucked up place. my only beef is when innocent children get molested, raped, killed etc. when i hear of shit like that. it makes me not believe in a god or divine plan.

19. embodiment of luck

Our true ugliest can't stay hidden from us, just because we don't like it. We should fight evil that is in us and that is out there, if this evil
    predator isn't revealed, the one in us could be (just like female rats in the experiment). We don't have luxury of exchanging truth for happiness, and that predator will give us a chance to show if we are ready to redeem our-self and show our righteousness.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  20. "I prove supernatural claim using my interpretation of 1960s rat study"

lmao

Sorry, not to dismiss the whole post, but I'm literally dismissing the whole post. Let's prove something logically... but how... AH YES, behavioral science, which is literally just speculation based on qualitative observations caused by hypothetical, unobservable traits. Behaviors and social interactions among animals, let alone humans, are so poorly understood that we could hardly call this a "science" at all.

This is gonna be good. I suspect that the only thing to be revealed is your lack of ability to interpret data.

You assume that a world without suffering is well-represented by the rat study. This consequently assumes that we would be able to identify what a world without suffering would even look like, which we can't. If a utopia is well-represented by an abundance of food and water and lack of natural predators, then aren't prisons and insane asylums also utopias?

Does that mean it is impossible for God to create a world without suffering? I guess that rules out the existence of the Christian god, since he's supposedly omnipotent. Or if he could create such a world, but made us so that we must suffer, then he can't be omnibenevolent. You are proving too much.

How could you possibly know what rats find desirable? Or do you genuinely find it desirable to have infinite food and water, but be trapped in a test lab? Or do you genuinely think that being trapped in a lab with nothing but food, water, and other animals is desirable?

Yeah, it would be horrific to be used as a test subject for your entire life. #animaltestingismassivelygay
    Again, when was this utopia I've never heard about? And if utopias always end up shitty for us, then are they really utopias? I wouldn't want to have the job of explaining that.

Again, how are these civilizations akin to utopias if they decline? Wouldn't a utopia be a civilization that doesn't decline? You keep asserting qualities about utopia, but all of the examples you cite are of things that aren't utopias. It's like saying "non-utopias are shitty, therefore utopias don't work". X = 4, therefore Y = 21.
    I didn't ask. But you're right, there is no evidence because wtf is perfection? Was Rome perfect? Or the British empire? Not for the non-Romans, that's for sure. Gandhi was probably more than a little pissed. And you realize people can get murdered and raped in peacetime? First you redefined "utopia" to mean "infinite food and water", and now it is apparently equivalent to "long time peace". None of these definitions preclude suffering, whereas a supposed utopia would.

And if your whole point is that "utopias aren't utopias," then I have no words. You can't just say "utopias aren't utopias. Here's an example of a utopia. Jk, it's actually not a utopia. Red-pilled." That would be nonsensical.
    Yeah I guess cancer victims are the lucky ones after all. (sarcasm) I like how you threw the "perhaps" in there, implying that you are just guessing. I didn't know "answering this question logically" involved guesswork?
    Let me see if I follow this. No suffering --> lose sympathy/empathy --> lose sense of humanity --> therefore, suffering is justified.

You are correct that sympathy/empathy depend on suffering, since sympathy is the ability to understand or internalize another's suffering and empathy is the awareness of another's suffering. You are also correct that they would be reduced (in fact, these emotions would be impossible) in absence of suffering. You are, however, incorrect in assuming that a world without suffering, sympathy, and empathy would be inferior to a world with these things. How could you possibly know this? First, if you believe the absence of sympathy/empathy would result in us suffering, then such an assertion would be contradictory for obvious reasons. If not, then you must at least admit this: sympathy/empathy are useful to us because they help us identify and reduce suffering. But since it would be impossible to identify or reduce suffering in a utopia, then there would be no need for such emotions.

Furthermore, if you want to place value in our "humanity" - which depends on our ability to experience sympathy/empathy - then you must 1) explain why this is valuable in the first place (are people with antisocial personality disorder not human?) and 2) admit that you also value suffering as a consequence. To value suffering would result in a very strange ethical framework (recall my facetious remark about cancer being a good thing).
    Again, this is incoherent so I won't even scrutinize it.
    Ah, so "we just can't stand it" wasn't the logical answer? Great, let's hear the logical one then.
    Well, I certainly hope so. Either way, I'm satisfied. But it sounds like you're already hinting that you might evade your task of making a descriptive statement about God.exe
    Again, how do we know what the "best circumstances" look like?
    Okay, so to remind you, the question was: "Why does God allow suffering?" And your conclusion seems to be that we are the ones who create suffering. So now we can just ask, why would God create humans that create suffering? We haven't actually gotten anywhere. Though, to your credit, you did answer the question. Yay!
    [​IMG]

Suppose I infect a society with a virus that turns people into cannibals, and they ask me, "why do you allow cannibalism?", to which I reply, "you are the ones creating the cannibalism", would I be answering the question fairly? Well, no - I would be lying. So now you have to face the dilemma of choosing between two undesirable gods:
    1) The God who has no control over whether we suffer, and is thus not maximally powerful, which contradicts most people's definition of God
    2) The God who could arbitrarily decide to end suffering but chooses (and chose) not to, and is thus not maximally benevolent or loving, which similarly contradicts most conceptions of God

Rethink this. Bluepill gang 4 life.​

TheForsakeen likes this.