1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Cold Approaches

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by StoicContemplation, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

So today the sun is shining there is a cool breeze and I say, what the hell? It's the weekend. Time to go into the city and do at least one approach.

I start walking and see a real stunner walking towards me. She is wearing sports clothes exposing her well toned body and holding her phone. So you know what I do? As she is walking past I say, 'excuse me, is that a good phone?' and...

she does not acknowledge my existence. Perhaps she does not hear me or is just repulsed by me. Either way, this does not fill me with a rush of good vibes. Quite the opposite. This is a street with heavy foot traffic and I of course imagine everyone can see and hear this and begin mocking me to anyone in earshot.

I walk away and regroup. During my regrouping, countless opportunities present themselves and fade away like tears in the rain. I wonder ...perhaps I'm just not up for this? Yesterday, with the directions and now a complete blanking. Shouldn't I have a bit more dignity and self-respect?

I grab a coffee from Starbucks and then go to a river side area and try to catch up with a target but soon give up on her.

I am walking back towards the city now. It's done. It's over. The day has been wasted.

I see another target sitting alone on a bench. She is drinking a Starbucks coffee as well. Kowe, could you try your 'is that a good drink?' opener on her? I mean, she's alone. Sure, some people are sitting nearby but facing in a different direction. I turn around to walk towards her and dive in.

'Excuse me, is that a good drink?' I say. She does not hear me (second time in one day for this) but this lady removes her headphones.

I repeat myself and well, some things logistics wise are off. I'm standing and she's sitting.
    She smiles (I guess finding this funny) and says it's just a cappuccinno.

I start rambling about how I keep drinking the same drink and maybe I should vary it and how I always go to Starbucks and maybe I should try Nero or Costa. I just ramble and ramble.
    She talks about how she's just moved here. I throw in a question about that and then she asks ME a question about how long I've been here.

Woah...this is the first time in all approaches where I have been asked a question. From my studies, I have taken to understand this means she has some sort of interest.

I talk about how I have just moved here too after living abroad, Japan, Canada. Yadda Yadda. She loves Japan. She asks if I speak Japanese. This total stranger is throwing ME questions! I can't quite believe it but I try my best not to panic and end the interaction too early.

She tells me about her background a bit. I ramble a lot about the area how I grew up here, good nightlife spots. I don't know. It's a bit of a blur guys and I feel I almost blacked out during it.

Then I start systematically running through things like her age, name, where she usually goes etc... while rambling on other topics. The thing I took as a good sign in all this is that every time I asked her a question, she asked me one back.

This probably goes on for between 5-10 minutes. Hard to tell.

At the end, I close with the number and get out of there.

I have to admit, I am terrified I typed the number wrong into my phone and I am already acting like a loser about it like 'woohoo !!' as if this is some major achievement when it should just be seen as practice. But well, I never would have imagined I'd have a positive interaction. This woman was friendly, I think she appreciated the chat and was somewhat interested in me throughout.

I don't know how long I should wait before texting her. Any ideas?

So there you go...the emotional rollercoaster that is cold approach continues!

4/100

Of course I was buzzing afterwards and felt like doing more but at the same time, I wanted to keep the afterglow of having a positive experience for the rest of the afternoon.

2. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

I clapped à la fin - well done, bro!

Maybe that first girl didn't hear you, maybe she didn't want to talk - you will never know and you shouldn't even bother pondering on it. It happened to me also a few weeks ago. I was walking in a park and a girl was walking in front of me, she was wearing headphones. I increased my pace so that I walked next to her and I said "Excuse me?" I lifted my hand as a sign that I wanted to ask her something. She looked at me, obviously knowing that I wanted to talk but just kept walking reallocating her gaze on the path she was taking. I think I did another "Excuse me?" but again no reaction, so I moved on very quickly. Sure this can be awkward, but again, try to see the comical aspect in all this.

Despite all that, you didn't let that 'negative' experience dictate the unfolding of the rest of your day. You didn't extrapolate one negative experience to your whole essence. Getting ignored or rejected doesn't make you low value. Otherwise every man who has tried one or more cold approach would be a complete loser.

The second approach you did: looks like the ideal scenario. She asked you personal questions, you can't get a bigger indication of interest than that during a daytime chat with a stranger. That doesn't mean that it will be ipso facto a bingo, but it is indeed a prerequisite of getting the number which is the first step for something more.

I guess it's an art, not a science. You have to see it as improvising jazz on the piano rather than a Chopin polonaise. There is no final set of notes, only a key signature and a rough tune.

I most of the time let it rest for a day or two. But it has happened that I texted the girl the same day of the approach (the girl I had the date with actually). I don't think you should see it as an algorithm that can establish a predetermined outcome along the lines of a mathematical formula. If you have the interest of the girl aroused, she won't mind if you text her quickly.

NF SINCE BIRTH and Kowe like this.
  3. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Cheers for the tips man.

I'll be staying in to work on some inner game today (got some Dostoevsky locked and loaded on the Kindle).

Despite this minor breakthrough, I am working on engineering my thoughts so I actually DON'T want it to work out with this first number, since if it does I'll probably refrain from making more approaches. A rejection would actually be better for me now, that's what I'm telling myself.

NF SINCE BIRTH and Chefb87 like this.
  4. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

Going out with my buddy later to go sarging.

StoicContemplation likes this.
  5. StoicContemplation

So I did 1 approach today

It was in a place that is a coffee shop and a bookstore at the same time, a peaceful spot to study.

It consists out of 2 main rooms where you can sit and work. I sat in the room where the counter is located. The bathroom is in the other big room. When I go to the toilet I see a girl in that room studying - she is alone. I think "Well, this is a good opportunity.". But I didn't approach her on my first bathroom trip. It looks like she is studying from what I suspect is a legal code so I'm contemplating that I'll use "Are you a law student?" as an opener.

I go back to my seat and after half an hour it looks like she is taking a break. She is just wandering around a bit, looking at books in the shelf. I get up and go up to her, like I'm walking to the bathroom again. I stop and say:

"Excuse me, are you a law student?"
    "No, I study pharmacy."
    "Oh okay, I thought you were reading from a Civil Code or something."

So this entailed a pretty long chat. She said that she wants to move to France to work there so we spoke a bit in French, a language that she is learning. After a few minutes she asks me "Do you come here often? (a question like this makes the number close pretty probable). She was actually waiting on a friend for a coffee as a break from her study session. Once her friend arrives I wrap the conversation up and say "By the way, what is your name? [...] I'm StoicContemplation, it was nice meeting you." - being pretty sure that she would signal the fact if she leaves earlier than me so that I can ask her number.

I'm following my lecture again and after a while her friend leaves. The girl then suddenly seems to move her study material to the table next to me, so she switched rooms (she said that other people are talking there to practice their exams so she couldn't concentrate there). I think I had 2 more big chunks of conversation (as a way of taking a break) with her whilst she sat there. Girls can be a distracting factor thought - it took me longer than necessary to finish a lecture.

She is making her bag and that's the point where my lecture is finished. I take off my headphones and pay for my drinks. I talk a bit more with her and eventually go for the number. Like @Kowe said, a positive interaction with a girl and getting the number can put you a bit in an elevated glow where your brain chemistry is in full operation. One can take advantage of that 'positive social mood' to approach more (I saw more opportunities in the street, mall and grocery store) but on the other hand there is that voice that tells you "Chill out, you already did enough. Let's just call it the day.". It would be better to ignore that voice and take more action, but I'm not going to be hard on myself.

Total: 91/100

Maybe it's better to just 'assume' the rejection instead of 'wanting' it. The former is way more neutral and doesn't require these mental gymnastics that make things more complicated than it actually should.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021

6. Try to go all the way and connect with every woman you meet. It's easy to say, "I don't care, it's a long-term job, there will be more."
    But it's important to keep a human side. Don't have regrets for being too afraid to try.

On the other hand, not expecting anything is a good mindset. Because you don't know if you're going to see her again.
    Not having expectations and not needing women but at the same time approaching them is very positive.

It doesn't matter if there is a rejection or a relationship, you will learn in both cases.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  7. Wanting rejection makes you dive deeper into why you avoid it so much.
    Accepting it brings a lot, but you can go much further than just accepting it.

Understanding where it comes from and freeing yourself from it little by little involves not avoiding it anymore. And in order not to avoid it anymore, you have to love rejection. So I agree with Kowe

8. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

So today I went for a hike for some actual stoic contemplation.

The sun was shining and it was great to get away from my house and the internet.

But I couldn't help but be scanning for potential approaches.

So I see two girls, one blonde pretty looking one and on bigger girl.

I walk behind them and they stop for a break. I stop for a break in a nearby spot and then begins that agonising self-torture that comes with contemplating whether or not you will approach.

I finally decide I will and use this line to the blonde one, 'excuse me, do you know of any good trails around here?'

She says 'ask her' gesturing to her friend.

The friend tells me to download some app. Then I say.

'Great. I live near here but I've never been out here. I don't know why. I should come out here more.'

They just stare at me.

Then the bigger one gives me more detailed advice about trails like, 'you could try this one...maybe you could try that one...etc...'

The one thing I will say is that when up close, the girl who was talking appeared more attractive. Sure, she wasn't thin. But she wasn't bad looking.

Then I say, 'I've just moved back to the UK. It's great to get out and see the countryside.'

They say nothing to this. I see the blonde girl turn her body as if to walk away and then it just naturally feels like time to leave, so I say thank you and bye.

Could I have done more here? Dropped more interesting bait? Thrown out 'it's great to be hiking. I used to do it all the time when I lived in Japan.' Maybe I should have. I should have just kept talking, maybe.

After this, I walked back towards where I live. As I got down to the car park - I was cold approached!

This guy with 3 women came up to me and asked if I knew a coffee shop near here. I said 'it's funny you should mention that, because I'm also looking for a coffee shop!' For whatever reason, this remark gets a big laugh from all 3 women. I started thinking, 'should I try the ramble now?' But I refrained. I imagine one was this guy's wife and maybe the other was a daughter. They were all pretty though. But perhaps I shouldn't be attempting game on women in front of their own father.

Which brings me to another related point: there was a large number of daughters on walks with their mothers. I have so far refrained from approaches with this dynamic, but I might try it sometime.

There were also several groups of three, which I am also intimidated by.

I know I said previously that I wouldn't be asking for directions. But this was a bit different: I asked these women for a piece of information I genuinely wanted or at least was somewhat curious about. To me, this is different to faking not knowing where a place is and more genuine.

So yeah, that was that. Nothing big to write about. Surely nothing like the thrill of my last encounter. But I had to get back to the grind at some point and it might as well be sooner rather than later.

5/100

9. StoicContemplation

Good job. Opening up with girls at the country side/forest is something I also have thought about when going for hikes in my home country as I sometimes see girls there but I always failed to think of an opener. Your post actually gives me inspiration to do it when I'm back home. The street can be a stress-inducing venue (especially when you are thinking about an approach) because you have all these overwhelming stimuli that the city life encompasses (stressed people that are in a hurry, cars that are driving, worrying thoughts that people will look at you, etc.)

Were the girls open? Did they hold eye contact? Or was that girl leaving just because the conversation was drying up? I think you did just fine. Accept the fact that most girls won't be open to allow the chat to take a personal direction. Take mental notes and don't look back.

I didn't approach today. I will probably hit the 100 next week so I can wrap it up. I'm not sure what I will do after that and if l will keep logging it here but it has been a motivating factor for sure, especially because someone else is on board now. I did had another date with the same girl again, we just met for coffee but nothing else happened (I must admit that I did hope that she would be down to come over again but she said that she had to go to help her mom). I was kind of reluctant to make things physical during our meet-up as it was at a crowded terrace of a coffee shop during the day (but the pressure wasn't there as I already got intimate with her).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. TIMMY0110

TIMMY0110 Fapstronaut

Hi StoicContemplation,

Congrats for the bold steps u have taken..i did try bit of cold approaching a few years back...with very little success (unsurprising as I live in a conservative country....not saying this as an excuse, my lack of skill is one of the reason too). Looking back, inspite of the failures I am still content with myself because I faced my fear of rejection. You have taken the task to a completely new level...keep going

Good Luck...May god bless you.

11. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

I would say they were open to helping me, but not really to having a personal chat. They held eye contact to a point. Hard for me to remember that detail actually. I tend to be bad with holding eye contact so it's something to take note of.

So with this girl and intimacy, how far have things gone ? (avoiding triggers of course)

I'm a bit confused because you posted there was no sex 'as such' and am not totally sure what that means.

I sent a text to the girl I got the number from but she didn't reply yesterday. Not looking good folks. Texts are like missing children: every day without hearing back increases the likelihood that your worst fears are true.

12. What is difficult at the beginning is that we need validation from women. Approaching women on the street is super high in terms of value. We should tell ourselves that we have the right to take ourselves into consideration instead of always being in the position of waiting for the girl to accept us.
    It's a real long term job.

13. StoicContemplation

Thanks for your kind words, Timmy. Maybe you will tap your foot in the water again.

Since you insist on knowing: I received a HJ from her.

Yeah, I was a bit reluctant to describe it with razor detail. Although I understand that some guys are interested in how the numbers unfold themselves throughout the end of the timeline, I thought it was better to err on the side of vagueness as it's better than let the pride dictate my writings and ask for pats on the back and say "Yo guys, just received a handrub from that girl. Scooore!". But yeah it's the first sexual encounter that stems from this challenge so I thought "Why shouldn't I mention it?" (of course, pride always plays a role...)

Anyways, I'm going to hit the library now. I will make a little resolution that I will have to open up with at least one girl before re-entering the door I'm about to leave.

NF SINCE BIRTH and GA93JDeereboy like this.
  14. GA93JDeereboy

GA93JDeereboy Fapstronaut

Hey man, just want to say I like your work. You help influence myself to overcome my fears!

StoicContemplation likes this.
  15. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Noted, apologies if that came across was prying. Was just intrigued by the particular choice of words you used.

Anyways, that's pretty damn impressive within your first 100 approaches.

16. StoicContemplation

Can't say I had a good day today

So I left my apartment and headed for the library. Before getting into the library, I first stop at a supermarket to buy some water. I'm heading for the water section of the supermarket and I see a very hot girl. I notice her and she notices me. She got a bottle of water and headed for the checkout. I also take a bottle of water and follow her to the checkout. A wave of agony is already putting bricks in my stomach... At this point I'm already regretting the fact that I didn't open up earlier before she headed for the checkout.

I put my bottle of water on the conveyor belt (I had to look this word up). The cashier arrived and asks us if we are paying together. I don't know why I said it like that but I answered with "No no no." in a way someone would deny an accusation or would communicate "Of course not. Are you crazy?". Good job SC, this doesn't make the atmosphere particularly nice. It would have been better if I had used something more playful/direct like "No, but I wouldn't mind." just to see how she would react. When she was paying/putting the water in her bag, I asked her "Is that good water?" but she ignored/didn't hear me. So yeah, not a great start.

I went to the library to follow a lecture, fully distracted by the girls who were passing by on the street - I sat next to the window. When the library closes I find myself talking to a guy who was studying there. I propose him if he wants to grab a coffee. We do. During the walk and during our coffee break in the coffee shop I'm noticing all these pretty girls... Seriously, when you start approaching more, your brain is constantly scanning for prospects. There is a bit of a catch because:

1. it is distracting: my mind is continuously thinking about girls. I admit that my attention span has suffered a bit because of this.
    2. it is frustrating: in most cases I don't enact on these opportunities which entails negative emotions like regret.

I eventually grab a bite with him and after we split up, I head home to drop my stuff and get my jacket (it was getting cold) so I can do some approaches. This mindset of 'waiting for the ideal moment to approach' is already pretty limiting... I saw a lot of opportunities but my mind tells me that it's not the good moment because I first need to go home and drop my bag and yadda yadda.

So I drop my stuff and get back into the city (I live in the center). Again, this agonizing pain gets a hold on me and has paralyzing effects. Every pretty girl I see turns me into stone like Medusa would. My brain makes up most convincing excuses not to approach girls. I head for a supermarket nearby to get some water. For some reason I prefer the supermarket over the street as a venue, it has less stimuli I guess. I'm there wandering a bit. Aha, a girl looking in the nut section. I get next to her, I look at a pack of hazelnuts, thinking of an opener. Not a single word was uttered.

I pay for my water and decide to head for the main square. I'm thinking "Let's just go there and ask a girl for directions." Although it definitely wasn't the bravest of all options, it already felt like anticipating having to play ballet on hot charcoal.

So I'm at the main square and scan the place. I see a groups of 3 girls (not ideal) walking towards an angle so that they would cross me. I asked:

"Excuse me, do you speak English?"
    "No."

They barely acknowledged my existence - they just kept walking. They maybe laughed a bit. I headed home.

I would say that the psychological suffering of the challenge reached its peak today. I even got a headache towards the end by all the negative thoughts that haunted me. I guess it's the brain chemistry that is changing. Some radical changes in the brain are being made maybe. I don't know why this post has the degree of detail it has given the fact that there isn't much to talk about really (I won't count these 2 failed openings). Maybe I'm using the writing as an antidote for the pain of mind.

Nothing to worry about buddy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    BlueVest73 and modern milarepa like this.
  17. Good luck dude
    It's very difficult. Writing all this is very brave.
    And excuse me, I realized that my mind was also too restless. By dint of being always at 200%. The previous posts it was more mental masturbation than anything else lol

18. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Yet Stoic, even with all of those negative thoughts - you still managed a few approach attempts. Good on you! Those thoughts, they're Gollum trying to tempt you from the path to Mordor.

I guess you're not counting the 'Do you speak English?' and fair enough. But it's something. Even if you HAD thrown in a ramble, it wouldn't have changed things too much.

I had a bad day in the field myself. Talking myself out of approaches due to the number of people in earshot. Clearly I am going to have to face this dragon head on. I'm not going to like it because of course, we want to approach women on tables by themselves surrounded by no one so at the very worst, if we bomb at least it's between the two of us. But life isn't easy. We can't always get what we want and the more difficult approaches we experience, the stronger we become. It's like Pokemon. You can walk around fighting lv.3 or lv. 2 Pokemon gaining experience points, that's fine. Or you can go and face a wild lv. 50 Dragonyte that almost wipes out your entire team. The latter battle is far more difficult, but your Pokemon will grow far more quickly. Just like your game experience points will increase with the more challenging approaches you do.

Today, after giving up all hope of receiving a response from the girl I cold approached on Friday, I received a text. It tells you a lot about me that when I first saw the text message symbol, I first thought it was one of the escorts I occasionally contact. The fact it was not and it was her after over 24 hours was a real shock.

I am going to need to hunker down in my room with a notebook and a pot of coffee to figure out how to reply to this one. But it's a reminder that this has not all been for nothing.

19. StoicContemplation

Yeah it was better than nothing - uttering these initial words is the hardest part. I also guess I wasn't in the optimal mood in general today. Maybe because of the snoozing (today I put like an alarm at 5 am because I needed to do some reading I procrastinated for a discussion class but I snoozed which tend to put me in a suboptimal state of mind for the rest of the day).

You will experience this also, these moments of sorrow where you feel that your brain is changing with all its elasticity. Or moments (not necessarily during your approach sessions) where your brain goes fully blank for a short amount of time and where you're thinking "Jezus, I can't believe I'm taking attempts to initiate contacts with women I'm just cold approaching." I guess it's like Odysseus who is facing the storms.

20. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Yes. It's easy to sit at home and say 'I can deal with that humiliation.' But when you're actually out there? It's visceral.

Probably it's a primal feeling. I imagine our ancient ancestors could be killed if they approached a woman if it turns out she was from another tribe/was taken.

We can override this to act but to lie to yourself and pretend that it's possible without colossal fear is just wishful thinking.

It's easy to sit around imagining yourself doing this or saying 'I could probably do it, but I don't feel like it.' All too easy to talk the talk. I am doing it right now to a point since I failed at my goals today. All that matters is the action.

Any approach, even just one, even just blurting out a sentence, is to be commended. I even think you should add it to your approach count @StoicContemplation yet I do understand the feeling that it needs to go beyond one utterance to be considered.