1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Cold Approaches

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by StoicContemplation, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Shakespeare once wrote, 'a coward dies a thousand deaths.' I think that's true, especially yesterday. With each approach I refused to make out of fear, a version of me - a potentially strong me - was offed by this weaker more passive self. And that's why today I emerged from my house like a warrior, heart set on avenging those deaths with courageous action.

Today I made 3 approaches. I will break them down below.

So I am walking into town. I see what looks like a man in sports wear. When I get closer and turn around, I realise it's the cute girl who works as the cashier at the local shop. I quickly blurt out:
    'Excuse me, is that a good smart phone?'
    She has to gather herself, removing her earphones.
    I repeat it again and then start rambling about how the screen of my phone has cracked. I want a new smart phone. I've lived aboard a long time and I have a cracked phone which is good for travelling. I also mention I'm new to the area and out for a walk.
    She doesn't say much to be honest. Just kind of listens. She did not ask me a question and the whole situation IS a bit weird. I HAVE interacted with her as a customer probably over 10 times but I did not acknowledge this at all. We are standing by a busy street with a ton of traffic.
    Eventually, I ask her one more time what the make of her phone is. She tells me, saying it's old. And then tells me to enjoy my walk and I leave.

It didn't get personal. Maybe I could have rambled more about phones but as you will see later, rambling more on an inane topic before bait dropping is not always great.

After this, I felt a bit relieved that I'd taken the plunge this early in the day. The fact that I was taken by surprise this 'man' was a woman I'd seen before caused me to jump into action without hesitation. The fact she was the woman from the shop does make me a bit concerned she might I don't know...report me as a pyscho. But I guess I haven't done anything THAT weird. Just asked a stranger about a phone. I don't live in the most populated of areas so I am starting to worry that if I really do this 100's of times I will be known as some local weirdo. But that's not a concern for now.

Anyway, I start approaching this hardware store. But my legs start to feel like jelly. I guess the last approach just not going anywhere didn't fill me with confidence. I am scanning the confectionary section of the store (really, it's a store that sells a bit of everything) and at one point I am standing next to a woman. I consider picking up a chocolate bar that I don't usually eat and turning and saying, 'excuse me, is this a good chocolate bar?' I try to will myself to do it. But I feel like Michael Corleone in The Godfather before he grabs the gun from the toilet to whack those gangsters. I'm just hyped up but hesitant to act. Eventually I feel she senses this cos JUST when I was about to grab the chocolate bar, she turns to walk away.

I then scan the park and there is nothing. I go to the supermarket - no targets. It feels kind of disappointing - I started so brightly and then the day is just fizzling out.

On my way out of town, I see two girls. I have no idea how to open with two girls walking towards me, so I blurt out:

'Excuse me, do you know a good place to walk around here?'
    One of them (of course the less attractive - it's always the less attractive who talks and who I mainly speak to) 'You mean just a little walk?' she says, stone faced.
    'Yeah.' I say. 'I'm new to the area. I don't really know where to go.'
    'Well you could walk around _____ gardens over there?'
    I know exactly where this is, but I feign a little squint and confused look around followed by a nod of realisation when I see where it is.
    'Or you could walk around the houses. That's what I do. I'm just weird.'

- Now at this moment, the conversation was naturally going to end. But I still haven't dropped any bait about living abroad but I felt like I dropped it too early in my last conversation so I decided to try to stay on the initial topic a bit longer.

I say, 'I just downloaded this app for walks in the area. But all the walks are like 10 miles long. I just want something a bit shorter.'
    This gets a little chuckle.
    'I've heard of that app' One of them says.
    'Yeah. I mean I just have so much free time now.' (stupid thing to say by the way. Makes me look like a loser with nothing going on in his life)
    'Yeah' the girl says (the less attractive of the two but still pretty).

Then I see this look in her eyes. This look that says to me that she wants to end it and also an understanding that I would be totally willing to just stand here and continue it. It's hard to write exactly how a look can tell me this information. But that's what I gathered from it. I think it's the way she disengaged eye contact, looked the other way and then didn't look back at me. She just wants to go.

Eventually I say thank you and leave.

Even though this was a second go nowhere interaction, I feel pretty good that I hit my first day of multiple approaches. And I acted quickly again.

Then I am walking home past a big field. I see a real hot looking tubby gal walking a dog. Very sexy look about her. But I am walking on street level so I power walk in front of her before rushing through a load of trees and making it look as if I just happen to be walking in the opposite direction.

I see the dog and I have the 'excuse me, what breed of dog is that?' opener ready. I see another person walking right behind her who will be in earshot but I remember what I typed yesterday so I say, 'fuck it.'

I do the opener
    She answers the question.
    I say I just got a dog
    She asked me about that.
    I answer the question. I say the dog jumps up a lot.
    She says that kind of dog will grow a lot bigger.
    I mention her dog probably doesn't jump up. I also say the dog looks cold.
    She says he's really cute.

Then I get the sense she does not want to talk much longer. I didn't really drop much bait unless you count having a dog being bait. I didn't drop my 'I've just moved here' since that had already bombed a few times. I didn't bother mentioning about living abroad either. I just got the vibe she wouldn't be interested in that.

So there you go.

3 approaches but no personal chats. I feel oddly empty after it to be honest.

When I was in town, I did see a funeral car which made me realise that we're all going to be dead someday. There's no use letting this get us down too much. The real tragedy would be to have lived nothing but lives of masturbatory self-enclosure.

Also, last night I was up late writing and re-writing my text to the cold approach from Friday. I was like a script writer for a soon live to air comedy show doing last minute re-writes. I sent it off today, got a good response and a jokey reply back. Now the pressure is on to think of yet another reply that keeps the light tone going while also being something somewhat replyable on her end (and not just some performance form me). It's going to be tough!

Anyway....

8/100

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

2 approaches today

So I went to the library again but before doing my work I decided to buy some water and a few oranges. In the supermarket I ask a cute female employee which type of orange is easy to peel so I can just eat it on the go. I use this as an opportunity to get in a chatty social mood for later approaches but it doesn't really go anywhere. I dropped a "Where I'm from, you have to cut the oranges to eat them. It's convenient that I can just peel oranges like a mandarin here". But I don't find myself in a chatty mood - it feels kind of rusty. I end the conversation and move on.

I drop my stuff in the library and I go outside on the street to peel an orange. I walk towards a trash can that is a little bit further. This trashcan is next to a mobile provider/phone service shop. There are 2 cute female employees on the street whose job is to inform people about their services (the kind of people you would normally avoid).

I see that one girl is looking at her feminine reflection in the window of the shop, looking at herself sideways so I think "This girl must be looking for a man.". I pass by her to stand next to the trashcan so I can eat my orange. She notices me and I'm thinking of an opener. I ask her:

"Excuse me, what are you selling?"
    "Telephone numbers."
    "Okay, I thought even buying a local phone number myself because yadda yadda."

So I'm rambling for a minute or two about telephone services, I inquire how much it costs to get a SIM card etc. The conversation takes a personal direction. She tells me that she wants to move to America or London. She talks about what she studies. We talk for a few minutes and when I see that her colleague is asking her something I decide to wrap it up. I was reluctant to ask the girl's number because it can be a bit delicate when a girl is in work mode (her colleague was also on the street so I imagine that a girl doesn't want to be judged by her coworkers by giving her personal details to a stranger).

But nonetheless I don't want to throw away the opportunity. So I ask her:

"Look, I have to go. But if you want to hang out sometime..."
    "Yeah sure but later."
    "Okay, let's exchange digits then. But I would understand that you don't want to give your phone number since you are working now."
    "No no, we don't care. Do you use WhatsApp?"

So yeah I asked it in a very reserved way because I can understand that a girl doesn't want to give her number in a professional setting. I texted her in the evening and she answered "Oh hi. I thought you forgot me." and she is down for a date this weekend. Again, women can be pretty unpredictable. We'll see where it goes.

The other approach was when I was taking a break outside of the library (on the pavement in front of the library, so not so far from the spot where I talked to the mobile provider girl). I'm eating hazelnuts and I see a girl leaving the library, it looks like she is just going to buy something. She comes back after a minute or two and I ask her:

"Excuse me, are you a med student?"

I ask her because a guy I met in that library told me that a lot of med students go to study there. She says that she is a freelancer. I ask her what she has studied, she talks a bit about her exchange in Turkey, etc. I don't really go for the number because after all, I wasn't that attracted to be honest.

I can't concentrate in the library because it's next to a street with a lot of traffic so I move to a coffee shop that is more quiet (I go there often, like described in this post). I sit in the room of the counter. A little bit later a really sexy girl enters the coffee shop and sits in the same room to study. I'm already contemplating the approach and cortisol levels are inevitably rising although I was planning to give it some time. Instead of focusing on my lecture I'm considering what I will use as an opener:

"Excuse me, is that a good laptop?" I don't know, she had a MacBook so she would probably say yes and I couldn't really ramble much about that

"Excuse me, is that a good coffee?" I was thinking of @Kowe's opener and it looked like it could entail a more natural chat talking about "How I'm always drinking tea but maybe I have to try coffee again because I read an article that caffeine yadda yadda."

Or something more playful?

"Are you writing a new bestseller?"

Or directly personal?

"Excuse me, are you a student?"

I was too much stuck in my head. I was putting the approach off because there were other people (a guy and a girl) in the room. Now you could call these acquaintances, people who I have had chats with because they also frequent that coffee shop, so this makes me a bit more reluctant to approach. Now suddenly I see that the prospect is asking the guy and girl if they have a charger for her MacBook because she forgot hers at home. I try to join in but it wasn't really possible to establish a chat. It was more like "Oh, you need a charger? The table next to me has a MacBook charger but the person is gone. By the way, isn't it ridiculous that all these computers have different chargers?". So yeah, pretty lame.

When I decide it's time to go grab a bite, I go to the counter and pay. I'm now close to the girl's table and I say to her:

"So these days, students read from a computer and don't buy books anymore?"
    "Yes, I actually study in the UK and all my books are there. I'm following online classes."
    "Oh, I'm in the same position."

Next thing I know we are talking about our studies because she is in the same field as me. We talk a bit about her country and why I'm here etc. The guy in the room gets a bit engaged in the conversation - I don't mind. So yeah she holds eye contact and I'm pretty sure about the number close. I proposed her if she wants to join for a bite but she says that she will drink something with her mom. Maybe that invitation was a bit too straight-from-the-shoulder. The male acquaintance talks about a good dystopian book of his country and I say to him:

"You know what Joe [made up name], give me your number so you can text the title to me - otherwise I'll forget."

I thought this was a good prelude to then go for the girl's number. I resort back to her and say:

"Maybe you can give me your number too, if I ever need a [insert profession] in the UK."

I got her number but later on I saw that I couldn't find her in WhatsApp. I have to watch my emotions as I admit I had some worries like:

"Did she type in a wrong number just to get rid off me?"
    "Maybe she made an error because of my broken screen. What a pity because I really liked her..."

I do admit I did really like her as she studies the same subject, was hot and she did look pretty responsive during the chat (I also had some eye contact with her before the opening).

I'm going to add 2 to the 100. Let's say that I 'merge' the chat with the first girl (where the opening wasn't so hard) and the second girl. Like that I can extend the challenge a bit :p

Total: 93/100

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  3. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

That's good man. All good stories.

I'm a bit disappointed with my rambles. I tend to run out of steam quickly. I have two or three things I say and then stop as I just don't have enough bait I can think of to casually drop. I do not ask a question until I have been asked one. I guess almost all of these recent approaches have been people moving/on walks - which I would say are the 'worst' or least likely to succeed. I get the vibe early on that they do not want to just stand around idly chatting and I do my best to push ahead with rambles but it feels like they don't want to get to know me more.

But the phone opener is one I think I'll try again, especially cos there is truth to the detail that my phone screen is cracked. It will obviously be better if the person is sitting down. I need to start thinking of more bait ideas to drop as well, as that will give me more chances for potential questions. Any time you drop bait and no question is asked, that's the hint that there is no interest. But I keep dropping all my bait in a sentence or two and then giving up. I need to ramble a bit, then bait. Ramble a bit, then bait. I'm too panicked when I'm in the approach and I rush it, I think part of me just wanting the ordeal to be over.

Sounds like your openers are varied and quite creative at the end there. That's decent. Nice work man. You're even not counting some approaches as unworthy!

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  4. StoicContemplation

Can you expect to be have the body of a demigod after a few gym sessions? You recently planted a seed. It takes time to let it grow. When I read your stories I even think "Hey, that sounds like a pretty good conversation. Might use that opener myself sometime." Trust the process - if you do this a few dozens (or hundreds) of times, you'll get more comfortable. Be patient and consistent. Besides, you have a girl within your first 5 approaches who replied to your text (this took me way more approaches in the challenge in my case) so it looks like you're doing pretty good actually.

I wish it was that easy and I could say: "Well, just say ABC in this way and you'll get dates." Most girls won't be willing to have a chat with you, no matter how many words come out of your mouth. Accept it. Even if you go out your way and drop baits like "Yeah last week I was on a yacht party with Leonardi Di Caprio because I'm his lawyer." - even if that's true. Life ain't that simple.

Just keep approaching and do the numbers game. What is more important is the fact that you are approaching rather than how you are approaching.

NF SINCE BIRTH and Kowe like this.
  5. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Great attitude man. You're right!

6. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Wow, this approaching girls thing even sounds interesting to me, and I'm gay. I've already have sensed some girls flirting with me ever since I have put PMO behind me in the dust. I never believed the so-called "superpower" myths, but I must admit that some of them are really true, and I definitely feel my manly drives controlled and externalized, even as just a sign of overall general masculine health.

But, be kind to the girls, too. Don't just meet them, to screw them, and only to throw them away afterward. That is a palpable sign of masculine sickness at its best.

Best wishes, guys!

7. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

I am just going to preface this entry by saying I am feeling quite depressed as I type this. It wasn't a good day today. Let me just say a few things:

I didn't ask to be a social animal
    I didn't ask to be born a man
    I didn't ask to have sexual desire
    I didn't ask for any of this

So today I made 4 approaches and I'll go through each one now.

I am walking down the street. I see two girls, one is carrying and umbrella and it has just begun to rain. I say, 'excuse me, is that a good umbrella?'
    She holds it out a little bit, I think maybe instinctively thinking I was asking for the umbrella.
    'Yeah it is.' She said
    'Right, just I need an umbrella. Do you know where I could get one?'
    'Yeah there's that shop right here. There's also ___________'
    'Oh. Thanks. Yeah I just came back to the UK. Forgot about the weather here. I used to live in Japan. They have a lot of disposable umbrellas there.'
    Now there is a shift here. The girls move and walk passed me and a few steps in front of me in the direction they were heading. I take this as a clear signal they want the interaction to end. It's pretty obvious that I am now saying additional things not merely asking for information and upon realising this, their body language and movements send me a clear signal they want to end the interaction.

I don't let them leave quite yet though. I say,

'So where's that shop again?'
    They give me the directions and it ends. I have to admit, the main girl I was speaking to here was one of the most attractive women I have ever spoken to in my life. She was blonde, very pretty.

My heart is thumping aggressively in my chest just from this short interaction. When it's over, I check my fitbit. My heart rate is at 140 BPM and I have acquired several 'zone' minutes just from this chat, apparently.

Then I walk to a Costa coffee shop that is closed. I instinctively think of an opener, 'excuse me, do you know if there's another Costa near here?' to ask someone outside this shop. I see a girl coming towards me but right before my opener, another guy asks her a directions question. My approach will probably make her feel like she is being bombarded with questions but anyway, I go for it. She says,

'No, but there is a Starbucks over there.'
    'Thanks I say.' She is already on her way after answering this, she barely even stopped to answer my question. Still, I throw out an, 'I'm new to the area.' And then it ends. I feel like this one maybe shouldn't 'count' but whatever. I'll count it.

So I then walk around, I see two girls drinking a Costa coffee. So yep...I ask them,

'Excuse me, where did you get that drink from?'
    Again they kind of hold their drinks out in supplication. It's weird, I think people immediately think you're asking for the thing you're talking about and don't quite have time to process what you're saying.
    Anyway, they say, 'yeah, it's over by ______'
    I then say, 'right. I just went to the one by ______ and it's closed.'
    'This one is open'
    'Great. Costa's my favorite.'
    They both laugh at this and it ends.

I walk around a bit more. I see a woman rolling up a cigarette. I dive in once again.
    'Excuse me, is that a good cigarette?'
    'No. It's really cheap.'
    'Right. I used to smoke but I quit but I'm thinking about taking it up again' (I have just realised I am not totally truthful here - a disturbing reality and a habit I'll try to avoid in the future)
    'I'm just a student so I don't get expensive cigarettes.'
    'Oh right. I've actually just applied to go back to school.'
    'What are you studying?' (she asks me a question, my mind starts to light up and I realise this MIGHT give me a chance)
    'I'm studying _________'
    'Cool cool.'
    'So are you studying here?'
    'No. I live here but I'm studying in ___________.'
    'Oh that's cool. I applied there too. How is it?'
    'It's amazing.'
    I really think this was a key moment in the conversation. I think it was about to turn...but something happened. She looked at my hands which were fiddling with the lid of my coffee cup. I truly believe in this moment, she saw that I was nervous. She saw that I was probably going to stand here awkwardly chatting with her for longer and she decided she didn't want to do that because then she says.
    'Anyway, nice meeting you. Bye!' In a sudden curt and hard tone of voice which gave a strong sense of finality to proceedings.

However, when I looked across the street I also saw a police officer on the other side of the road - it's also possible she saw the police officer and didn't want to be seen on the street with a stranger. What I mean is, I might have been wrong and am willing to accept my explanations might be incorrect.

Anyway, I went home after that. I felt pretty bad about it. I mean. 2 of those 'approaches' were borderline nothing at all. But I have to also understand that I'm doing difficult approaches - girls in pairs, people walking in the street on a miserably rainy day in lockdown. None of this is ideal or optimum for having a chat.

I will be taking a little break from now to regroup, as this process is emotionally exhausting and I have hit my target for the week already. I need to take care of my mental health and though this challenge has some benefits, it's not something I can keep forcing myself to do every single day.

I want to make a future post about how interacting with the opposite sex is a war. Even replying to text messages feels like a strategic battle where you have to fire some artillery (witty jokes) while also being defensive (not revealing ANYTHING that makes you sound needy or desperate). It's tough and requires precision and careful planning for any type of offensive on a target to come off.

I am still in a text back and forth with the girl I met last Friday but I am not beating myself up too much about it. In fact, the text I sent this afternoon was not carefully constructed and proof read like my last few. Basically, I'm just tired and worn out from all this and actually now truly do not care either way if she wants to meet again.

12/100

Finally, when I bought myself yet another coffee I engaged in a casual chat with the staff. I asked about different types of drinks and even commented on...THE WEATHER. Yes ladies and gentleman. The weather. In my head, I thought 'this is fucking stupid' but I think I was so beaten down today I'd just practice being a normal person having mellow chats with absolutely no intentions other than to perhaps make us feel temporarily a bit less alone in the universe. And maybe that's a more noble goal to have in the end.

8. StoicContemplation

3 approaches today

The first one was in a coffee shop. Not the same one as yesterday but a more crowded one, where auto-tune top 40 pop music tends to be played - not something I particularly enjoy. Not a great place to study but a place where hot girls tend to congregate nonetheless - not the main reason I was there though, it's just very close to my apartment and I didn't feel like losing time to walk more than 15 mins to go to the library or a silent coffee shop as I had a deadline today.

So I sit at a table. At the table in front of my table there is a cute girl studying. Another girl (less cute) is studying at a table next to me. I try to connect to the WiFi so I ask the less cute one if she knows the WiFi password. This was actually a sincere question. She doesn't know as she isn't on the WiFi of the place but tries to help nonetheless. She doesn't know so I get up and ask an employee at the counter.

I go back at my table and I start to realize I can't study at that place. I ask the girl I already asked the WiFi question to the following question:

"Excuse me, do you know a coffee shop that is more silent?"

She tries to give me some suggestions. I tell her how I don't understand that students come here to study. She is open for a chat. I'm having a chat with her for what definitely feels longer than 10 mins about her studies, her country, her ambitions, etc. Now she wasn't the type of girl who tries to look sexy. I'm not going to use the word 'dorky' but maybe you get the picture when I'm alluding to that word. However, she definitely wasn't unattractive although I admit I was more attracted to the other girl.

But to be honest, I would kind of have felt bad for the girl to try to chat up the hotter bird as it just kind of felt natural to ask her the follow-up question. When I know I have build up enough momentum/connection, I ask for her age, name and where she lives. I say:

"Well, I have to keep going to get some work done. But if you want to hang out sometime, we can exchange digits because you look cool."

She said "Maybe next week." and she asked me for my Instagram. I told her I don't have that and joked "Well I actually do have it but you don't need to see all my pictures on yachts and jetski's." She laughed. I have the number.

Now some thoughts about that interaction. I sometimes took a small glimpse to take notice of my surroundings. I did feel kind of watched. Girls and guys alike were taking short glances at how I was chatting up a random girl. Now to be honest, I didn't feel bothered. I have read guys who talk about a feeling of pride in the fact that people are witnessing the approach after they have done cold approaching for a while and I guess I kind of had that feeling a bit. You're literally doing something that most guys don't have the courage to do and girls probably wish the average guy did it more often... But I don't think my audience anxiety is gone though, maybe it's slightly getting less acute.

I see a certain analogy with lifting in the gym: when I was a noob and I was starting to do squats with only the barbell with terrible form I was always hoping that people wouldn't notice me. Now that my form is better and I can squat a decent amount of weight I don't really care that people look - let them witness how proper lifting is done!

The other approach was in a copy/print shop. I was there to print some documents and there are a lot of female students there. I'm standing at one of the computers managing all my files and a cute girl stands at the computer next to me. She is printing some notes of class. My brain was already paralyzing me as usual but I thought of an earlier post of @Kowe :

So I decide I will open up no matter what. I'm contemplating an opener but I couldn't find something original. She wore a cross necklace so I was considering "Are you Catholic or Orthodox?" but maybe that would have been a bit too intrusive. So I just kept it very formal:

"Excuse me, do you know if there is a discount for the printing price when I print a lot?"
    "Ehm, I don't know. Do you want me to ask?"
    "Okay."

She asks the printing woman behind the counter in her language (I'm still living abroad). The woman who works there answers and looks kind of annoyed/confused because I was in that print shop like 2 days ago, so she knew that I knew.

The girl then says:

"Well, it's the same price as last time she says."

So yeah this already doesn't feel natural. I tried to chat her up a bit but it felt so aimless. However, she looked open but I couldn't make something substantial out of it. She then said: "I have to leave for work. Bye."

I didn't bother asking for her number as the conversation was too short to establish some kind of rapport. But who knows, maybe she would have given it. Might have to push things through more next time just to feel the rejection.

The last approach of today was me walking in the evening from the supermarket towards my apartment with my groceries. I was walking on the sidewalk and I happen to find myself close to a girl who was looking at her phone and was walking towards the same direction as me. I ask her:

"Is that a good phone?"

She takes a short glimpse at me, we make short eye contact. She look confused although surprised. But her gaze reallocates quickly back at her phone and she just keeps walking. I was glad that I uttered these stupid words, thinking about the absurdity of fact that we men take this stuff so damn serious like it's the equivalent of putting your head into a lion's mouth.

Anyways, I will count them all three. The last one didn't entail a chat but I tried what I could!

Total: 96/100

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  9. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

When abroad I stopped using the "do you speak english" question since I think it gives off a lost-tourist that just needs directions kind of vibe instead of a flirty one. My best approaches were ones were I straight up assumed they spoke English and see how they respond, sometimes they respond well even if they don't speak it.

10. StoicContemplation

1 approach today

It was on the roof terrace of the silent coffee shop I frequent. I was studying there and a girl arrives at the terrace also to study.

When I go to the bathroom and I come back and pass her, I ask:

"Excuse me, where did you get that notebook?"

I tell her about how I am searching for a shop that sells A4 notebooks of which I can rip the pages off and I comment how it's hard to find these type of notepads in this town.

She gives me some suggestions. Next thing I know we are talking about studies, what I'm doing in her country, etc. The conversation goes pretty well and towards the end I suggest exchanging digits. She says that her boyfriend wouldn't like that. I say that I respect that fact. She says that she enjoyed the chat and adds whilst smiling:

"Thank you for your approach."

Woah, that's first time I hear that. I'm not going to lie, although I basically got rejected, that comment did put me in a certain state of elevation. This comment allowed me to kind of go into 'meta-game'. Not that I was asking for feedback but I did admit to her that that initial question was only half sincere, using it as a way to initiate a conversation. I can't believe that I was discussing the concept of cold approaching with a girl now that I'm writing this. I also asked her if she gets approached a lot. She said that it happens but 'not like this' but that it's more like getting hit on. I say that I refrain myself from immediately giving compliments and going flirt mode and she says that:

"Yeah, when a stranger approaches you, you automatically have your guard up a bit more."

That being said guys, I don't want to create the impression that the Stoic's method (not that there is such thing) is carved in stone or is the way to talk to girls during the day. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Also, it's not just because one girl has explicitly approved my approach that that gives me a right to stipulate Eternal Laws like I'm Moses who is running down the mountain to proclaim the Ten Commandments to the Israelites.

Also, this is the first time in the challenge that I have actually timed the duration of a conversation. I was just curious. Before opening up, my clock said 1:28 pm. After the conversation ended it was a little bit after 2 pm. I can't believe I talked for longer than half an hour with a stranger. Most of the approaches are on the short side though.

Total: 97/100

I also had a date today, it's the second time that a date stems from this challenge. It was a girl I approached last weekend in a coffee shop (as described in this post). The date was at the same place where I had the other date with the girl I had the first date with. We sat next to each other, I wasn't confident enough to break the touch barrier when we sat there. At a certain point (when she wanted to show something on her phone) I sat a bit closer to her, and touched her arm a few times when delivering jokes. But no 'hand on leg' or 'arm around shoulder' situation or something.

When we leave the bar I suggest to go for a walk before splitting up. I know a place where I can 'isolate' her to go for the kiss close. We walk past that place, a museum with a little garden in front. I know that there are some communist statues hidden behind that museum so I suggest taking a look at these statues. I kissed (a short kiss though) her whilst Stalin and Lenin were watching.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Excellent stuff, Stoic!

I have to admit, I would probably doubt myself if someone said, 'nice approach' to me.' It would make me think she had seen through this whole ruse. Indeed I think a key to this whole thing is creating the illusion that we are only interested in the chat. I know women are also interested in game and considering a lot of these methods are old, I imagine more savvy/oft-approached members of the opposite sex know what this is all about.

It would be mortifying if something happened like this,

'Excuse me, do you know where the book store is?'
    'I'm not giving you my number. Nice try though. I bet you thought that question that you could just google search made it look like you are not in fact trying to chat me up. I see through that though, and actually, isn't it a bit cowardly and false what you're doing? You're basically hoping you can piggy back on this unwritten social contract that we be courteous to strangers in order to try and have sex with me.'

What I'm saying is, I don't particularly want people 'in the know.'

But she seems like she was cool about it and I am basically just dealing with my own horrible imaginings here.

I stayed in all day today feeling utterly miserable. I have lost touch with the girl I was texting last Friday and I do not believe she will respond. This is all my fault - I sent a text trying too hard to be in a good mood and it came across like I had just been let loose from the insane asylum. Quite why I sent it is another matter. Perhaps this was a subtle act of self-sabotage but really, it's a problem when you are carefully trying to follow the 'rules' but aren't quite sure of what they are. I really did think, in that moment, that I it was best to just send the text without careful re-writes. Just be more 'fun' and stop second guessing yourself! Oh, how wrong I was. If it was a more authentic 'fun' and not a fake one it might be something, but the fraud that I was and I suppose am is painfully apparent in that message. I certainly will need to do some inner game work to get over this.

12. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

I did two this past week. First one the other morning at the gas station spotted a cute brunette in her 20’s. I approach her, do my false time constraint, then ask her out on date. Shes got a bf, i move on.

The other one was at the Chic Filet drive through, a young asian chic with her mask on. To try to get her to take it off, I say: “ are you as pretty with your mask off as with it on”? She does a nervous sounding laughter and replies “ I think so”. She leaves the mask on and we make a little more smalltalk before I drive on.

13. StoicContemplation

2 approaches today, well technically 4 but I'm only going to count 2 because I wasn't really attracted to the first 2 women. I guess it was good for practice and maybe worth elaborating.

The first one was with a woman who I guess was in her 40's. Not really the age bracket I'm personally looking for but it's not that she wasn't an attractive woman. We were both standing at the entrance of a coffee shop, she was drinking a coffee and looking at her phone. I ask her:

"Excuse me, is that a good phone?"

She looks up and looks puzzled, first looking at her coffee like I was inquiring about that. So I repeat myself.

She then says it's an iPhone. I give comments how my screen is broken (thanks for the inspiration @Kowe) and how I have the cheapest version of Samsung Galaxy. She asks me which model it is. I also say that I normally use an old Nokia but that a smartphone is indispensable when living abroad. To be honest, I'm not a technophile who goes wild on these digital gadgets. So I ask her something random like "Does your iPhone has the iOS [insert random number]?" - not knowing if that's the up-to-date software (not that it matters really). The conversation goes personal but I'm not aiming for a number close or something. She says that she has to take her son from school. Let's just say it was a normal chat. It serves as a reminder that it's a pretty good opener, given the fact that a lot of women are looking at their phone these days.

The other approach was at the roof terrace of that same coffee shop. It was a girl who lent me a pen (I asked at the counter of the coffee shop if they have a pen that isn't blue and she was standing close and she then lent me a pen). When I gave it back to her when she was sitting I struck up a little conversation. I'm not going to count it because I wasn't really attracted to her. At the end she asked me:

"Wait, are you that guy behind the 100 Cold Approaches thread on a certain forum?"
    "Yep. SC's the name."

Just kidding. Let's move on to the approaches I found worthy of counting.

Towards the evening I go to a coffee shop that is nearby my apartment, a more crowded one. I'm waiting for my tea at the counter where they prepare and serve you the drinks you ordered at the other counter. A girl is standing next to me, also waiting on her beverages. I see 2 smoothies on the counter and I ask her:

"Excuse me, did you order those smoothies?"
    "No."
    "Oh okay because I'm interested in trying out some smoothies myself and maybe you could give me some recommendations. I thought these were yours and that you just were waiting on your other drinks."

I ramble a bit more and she looks open. She holds eye contact and is even smiling although I'm doing all the talking. My tea is ready so I take it and say bye. I hesitated to stay longer as it would have felt a bit off to just wait on a stranger you only have talked with for less than a minute. Maybe a lost opportunity. Was glad I opened nonetheless.

The other approach was in the same coffee shop. I see a woman sitting on a table not too far from my table. I recognize her, I saw her a few times in a library I frequent. Now I think she is a bit older (I didn't ask it) but she is attractive nonetheless. I think she's in her 30's and I wouldn't mind getting intimate with her. You can expect what the opener was. When I left, I passed her table and I ask:

"Excuse me, is it correct that I have seen you in library _____?"

She looks up and smiles. I ramble a bit how I'm looking for a library that is maybe a bit more silent. She gives me some suggestions and she asks me pretty fast what I'm studying so the conversation gets personal pretty easily. After chatting for like 5-10 mins she says:

"If you want you can sit down."

So I sit down and we talk more for approximately an hour. All these approaches have refined my conversational skills apparently. Kind of weird because in the past I used to struggle uttering a sentence to girl without having to shit myself. Because I rather not shitted myself, I didn't approach. And when I decided to start approaching, I stumbled over my words.

At a certain point I say that I have to go to the grocery store before it closes but I suggest to exchange digits.

Total: 99/100

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  14. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

I made 5 approaches today.

Now, if I were to judge 'success' based on results of getting numbers and potential further meetings for sex, today would have to be considered an abject failure. But if I change my definition of success to: doing something challenging, facing my fears and becoming enormously humbled in the process, then today was a resounding victory!

Okay so my first approach opener is one that I contemplated previously in this thread. I was in Poundland. I pick up a chocolate bar and turn to the girl next to me and say:
    'Excuse me, is this a good chocolate bar?'
    'Uhh...I wouldn't know.'
    'Right, you see I've been abroad for a long time and I just don't know what kind of chocolate is good' (this is something of a lie and also, the bar I picked out - a Yorkie - is one I know to be quite decent)
    'Me too. I'm new here.'

The next chain of events are non verbal. You see, at the start of the interaction she was on my left hand side. She then walks out of my line of vision and to the other side of me. I do not turn around. I interpret this movement as a rejection and walk away. I don't even say thank you. I am tempted to turn around but also hesitant not to be annoying. So that's that. Unfortunate because I think she was from latin America and maybe we could have related to being new here. But alas!

Next approach. I see a woman walking towards me texting:

'Excuse me, is that a good smart phone?'
    'What?'
    'Yeah, is that a good smart phone? My screen has just broken and I need a new smart phone. I usually use Android but I don't know which is better, Androids or the Iphone10.'
    'I just use whichever one. It's fine.'
    'Okay. Thanks.'
    ' See you!'
    'Bye'

Again, body language was key here. Almost the whole interaction she was basically moving. Though she did eventually stop at the end of my ramble but this was just to say parting words. Maybe I could have held my ground and sat in the discomfort a bit longer. Maybe thrown out more ramble, more bait. I don't know

Next one, I walk through a bus station - see a woman on her phone.

I say, 'excuse me, is there a pet shop near here?'
    'Yeah, do you know where _____ is? It's just next to that'
    'Oh okay. Do you know if it's still open?'
    'I don't know but I can google it' (she gets out her phone and starts googling, causing me to squirm in guilt since my smartphone is sitting in my pocket and I could easily do this myself and also have no intention to go to the pet shop)
    'Yeah you see I just got a new puppy. I'm thinking of buying a dog coat for it because it's cold'
    'Aww...yeah. Now let me just check.'
    Then...oh god. The boyfriend arrives. Thankfully, we are near the end of the interaction.
    She says, 'it closes at 4pm'
    'Okay thank you. Bye!'
    'Bye!'

I'm ready to go home now. The arrival of the boyfriend just kind of shook me and alerted me to potential confrontations that could come from this.

Still, I get on the train and I see a woman. She is sitting near the back of the train and while we are sitting down I say,

'Excuse me, does this train go to__________?'
    'Yeah'

She sits down. That's it. I feel weird counting it but I will because one, it's my first train approach and two, I learnt a lesson from it - I need to get my seating logistics right. You see, this was not a subway train. So when someone sits down their face - and thus future conversations - is impeded by the fact they cannot be seen due to seats in front of them. The best place to sit would be a seat alongside them with some chairs separating you.

Let me just do a quick diagram to show you the seating plan

__A__ _____ _____ ______ _____ TARGET
    ____ _____ ___ _____ ______ ______
    ___ ____ ______ _____ _______ _____

___ ______ KOWE ___ ______ _______
    ___ ____ ______ _____ ____ _______
    ____ ___ _____ ____ ____ ________

Spot A makes more sense. If I was sitting at spot A, I would have been able to turn to talk to her while also be giving adequate social distancing.

I should also mention that the seat I chose was facing the target, but this did not help with the fact that once sat down, it was too difficult to engage her.

Then I get to this other small town. I go to the bakery and there is a line outside. I approach a target:

'Excuse me, is this the line?'
    'Yes'
    'It's a pretty long line'
    'Yeah'
    'What do you think you'll order?'
    'I don't know'
    'I'm thinking about getting a sausage roll but then I always get that. Maybe I'll get a cornish pasty. Something different'
    *uncomfortable laugh*
    She then turns around and the interaction ends. I thought about throwing out another opener or some bait but it's clear she wasn't interested in having a chat, so I left it.

Positives to take:
    I tried 4 new openers - the pet shop opener, the bakery 'line' opener, the chocolate bar opener and the train destination opener

I tried 2 new locations: the train and a shop

Negatives:
    I did not engage interest at all and no interaction was more than a minute

Side benefits:

I have become more comfortable chatting with staff. For example, in poundland the staff said, 'would you like some sweets?' I throw out an 'What? I already have some chocolate. I don't need anymore sugar.' This gets a laugh. There is no way I would be throwing out 'jokes' with strangers if I wasn't doing this challenge.

I also had a chat with a woman in the pharmacy:
    Staff: 'Hi how are you?'
    Me: 'Fine thanks, you?'
    Staff: 'Not bad. It's cold'
    Me: 'Yeah, but at least it's sunny'
    Staff: 'True'
    Me: 'What time do you finish?'
    Staff: 'What time do I finish? In about an hour. It's not busy on a sunday'
    Me: 'Cool. Thanks. See you!
    Staff: Have a good day!
    Me: You too, bye!

Also, in the bakery, I asked what a 'flat white' was and got a little laugh by saying 'why not!' when asked if I wanted two sausage rolls for 2 pounds. What I'm saying is, I'm being a bit more social in general.

A pretty frustrating day, but I'm glad I at least tried.

17/100

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  15. GA93JDeereboy

GA93JDeereboy Fapstronaut

thanks for the write up!
    maybe I ought to start a challenge as well.
    I need to build up my confidence. I’ve done a few cold approaches before at Walmart or those supermarkets.
    Hmmm

16. StoicContemplation

I did a few approaches yesterday.

Tried out some new openers whilst hitting street game again.

The first girl had a bag that was from a certain drugstore, a place where you can buy cosmetic products but also organic food products and the like - a place I go frequently.

We were walking in the same direction, I walk next to her, I get her attention with the "Excuse me?" (I think I had to repeat myself) and then say:

"Where can I find the nearest ____?"
    (she looks at me trying to figure out what is happening)
    "I couldn't help but notice your shopping bag of _____. Is there one near here?"
    "Uh yeah, we actually just passed one. There is one further back in the street."
    (indeed we passed one, I know this, I think she used the word 'we' because I think she already noticed me walking in that same street, I passed her and then she caught up because I was waiting at the red light of a crosswalk)
    "Oh okay. Yeah I'm looking for one because I know this shop. I recognize that shop when I was in other countries."
    "Okay."
    "You see, I have heard that shop has good products like organic beet juice. It's good to cleanse the system because when you live in the city, you inhale a lot of fume from the cars so the beet juice cleans out my lungs."
    "I see. There is actually another one downtown. I can show you if you want."
    (so this is in the direction we were walking. I know there was another shop there and it wasn't far)
    "Well I actually have an appointment with someone since I'm moving apartments." (this is true, I was meeting with someone at the spot I approached her so I didn't have time to go with her, a lost opportunity I guess)

I then say thank you and that it was nice to meet her but I didn't go for the number. In hindsight I should have asked it though and I kind of regret my reluctance. But that reluctance stemmed from the fact that the conversation was so short that it didn't go personal, so I thought that the odds were too low that she would have given her number. But who knows... The fact that she was down to show me would have been a great opportunity to chat more and build a connection. But hey, at least I did the approach.

Another one was similar. I stood before a cross walk and waited for the light to turn green. A group of 2 girls appear and are also waiting. I see one of them has a bag of what I think is a clothing shop. I ask them:

"Excuse me, is ____ a good shop?"
    "Yes."
    "What can I buy there?"
    "Uh, a bit of everything..."
    "You see, I'm looking for some shoes for the gym so I'm actually looking for a shop that has these kind of things."
    "Okay."
    "What about a plain white T-shirt, can I find it there?"
    "I think so yes. You can find the shop in the mall ____"

The less attractive girl who held the bag was (and who I asked the question to) is making steps to move on so I know that it will lead to nowhere. The more attractive girl looked kind of open but yeah... approaching groups of girls isn't the best strategy. It's good for the sake of experience and overcoming the fear but in terms of building a connection with the girl you fancy, then it's not your best bet.

Another one, same situation as the previous approach. Group of 2 girls waiting for the light to turn green. I stand next to them, I see they have both the a same shopping bag. The bag just displays the letter 'A'. I ask them:

"Excuse me, what can I buy at 'A'?"
    "Uh books?"
    "Oh is it the bookshop at the ____?"
    (actually a place where I have done an approach or two, a girl I have had a date with)
    "Yes."
    "Oh okay. Do they have English books?"
    "I think so yes."
    "You see, I just moved here so I need to keep myself busy with reading some books."
    "Do you live here or are you a tourist?"

Okay so the conversation takes a bit of a personal direction. I talk about what I have visited etc. Nothing special. I actually passed my apartment but walked a bit longer with them (20m or something). I decide to split and go back. We say goodbye. I didn't went for the number, maybe I should have done it just to try...

Special thanks to @Kowe as he suggested this type of opening!

Today I opened up with a girl in the supermarket. I was in the line of one checkout and she was at the line of the other one (the checkout lines are parallel). At her side there is a rack with chewing gum. So I stretch my arm towards the rack and take a pack of Orbit chewing gum. I then ask her:

"Do you think this is good chewing gum?"
    "Uh, I don't know."
    "I always take the same one."
    "You should try this one. It's a bit stronger."
    (she points at another kind of Orbit gum, I put mine back and follow her suggestion)
    "Oh, I usually don't really care much about the taste. I just buy gum mainly for the act of chewing but when you get tired of the taste then it's time to try out another taste." (I don't know what I actually said, but it was something like that, kind of cringe, but that's good)

The logistics of this approach were not optimal. Once I take the other pack of gum, the cashier is already scanning my products and the target is putting her groceries on the conveyor belt. I pay and that's pretty much the end of the interaction. She leaves before me and she does say "Bye!".

I did had a date today with a woman I approached last Friday (the woman in her 30's I found attractive, see last approach in this post). We had a coffee and after that I suggested to go for a walk. I isolated her to the back of a museum to go for the kiss. She rejected because of the age barrier. I invited her to my apartment for a cup of tea. She agrees. I'm not going into the detail what happened but it didn't went further than kissing a bit. She said that she is attracted but that I'm too young for her. Kind of mixed feelings after this: sure I liked her but I think it may be better to just aim for girls in my own age bracket...

I also went to a bar/lounge/club a few days ago with some dudes. I did like 2 approaches there (both 2 groups of 2 girls). Man, night game is different (it's been a while)... I used the same mechanics I use during the day ("Is that a good cocktail?" and "Are those good cigarettes?") but the women weren't responsive and far from polite (maybe I was just unlucky, but the degree of bitchiness is definitely higher during the night...). I also didn't drink, so it was kind of hard to get into the cocky/confident/playful vibe to which women tend to react positively in a night venue. With one of the approaches I got cockblocked by a local dude ("Leave the girls alone."). I might address this in another post, but day game suits me for sure. No cockblockers. No shitty attitude. No lame music.

So yeah. I finished the challenge... What a road. I will have to make time for another post to share some final thoughts. Conclusions. The pros. The cons. . What's next. Etc. etc.

Was it worth it? Yes, although there is a catch. More on that later.

Do likewise gents.

Total: 100+/100
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Data Sheet:

So, I checked my contact list and counted the numbers I got from this challenge...

Approaches: 100+
    Numbers: +/-18 (I'm also counting the 2 times I gave my number to a girl, although that led to nowhere)
    Dates: 3 (normally I have more this week with some girls I met recently through the challenge, I guess my game has improved towards the end - but they can flake)

So yeah, you can do the math. Note that the percentage rates are actually way lower as I did more than 100 approaches.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  17. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Nice one Stoic!

I did indeed suggest that opening, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

Congratulations on completing the challenge!

I don't really get the age difference problem but maybe it was more a lack of chemistry than age difference?
    I think if the chemistry is there, it doesn't matter at all.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this 'catch.'

18 numbers out of 100? That's pretty impressive. What percentage of the numbers replied?

NF SINCE BIRTH and GA93JDeereboy like this.
  18. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Went for a walk today and approached a woman walking her dog in the park.

I start with, 'excuse me, what breed of dog is that?'
    It's a labrador. I start rambling about my dog. She asks me about that. I actually think of a somewhat interesting thing to bring up - I mention something about dog psychology and how if you get angry at them they sometimes misinterpret that as enthusiasm. We also talk about dogs watching TV and other topics. It's kind of fun and light! Of course, I drop a few pieces of mild bait, such as 'I've moved to this area recently' and 'when I lived in Japan...dogs wore all sorts of clothes and some of them were in prams.' I was glad I was able to actually mention an interesting observation based on my life in Japan relating to the topic we were discussing here. Though she did not bite on the bait.

HOWEVER, she didn't show any signs she wanted the conversation to end either. So I just kept plowing away. Sometimes I started sentences with no idea what I was actually going to say next. But until she made it clear she was ready to leave, I was going to stand my ground and ramble away.

I ended up kind of repeating my bait about living abroad and she said, 'so which city did you live?' BINGO!! A question. Question = interest! I take this as my signal to start asking her more personal questions. So while chatting I ask her age, her name, and other questions and every time she asks me back. I know I'm in here now. All I have to to is wrap things up for the number close. I am mere seconds away from doing this when she asks, 'do you want to come for a walk with me or...?'

I was NOT anticipating that. But I end up going for a dog walk with this total stranger! And man do we hash it out.

We start off talking about literature. We go over Fitzgerald, Shakespeare plays, Orwell, Greek tragedy. Classy!

Then we get onto the topic of art. It turns out she's an artist so she tells me about her creations and she asks me if I make anything. I start telling her about my writing and my music. I almost never talk about this with ANYONE. Not even friends or family. I feel like I'm not a 'real' artist so who cares? But I just feel so relaxed in her presence that I get into discussing that with her.

Anyway I don't want to type everything we talked about actually. It just seems wrong somehow. But I can't quite believe I just approached and connected with an absolute stranger.

The walk was about 1 hour 15 minutes long. I have her number.

My one regret? I broke one of the golden 'rules' by getting the number about 45 minutes into the interaction instead of at the very end. It came up somewhat naturally (with her saying she'd love to read my writing someday) and I suggested the number exchange then. To be honest, it was playing on my mind somewhat so I just wanted to get it over with.

Who would have thought THIS would happen eh?

I also received a message from the girl I had the number of before suggesting we meet today - I was busy! Great feeling to be the GIRL (aka the busy one). She has messaged me again asking me how I'm doing! So that seems to be going well now. I think I will meet her tomorrow.

Remember THEY the government can take away your freedoms and try to encourage a life of masturbatory self-enclosure in front of screens but they can never take away your ability to stand up and say NO. That is NOT the life I want to live.

18/100

19. StoicContemplation

Wow, I'm so happy to read this @Kowe! Very nice write up. Are you sure you haven't been doing this for years? ;)

Isn't it fun to observe how these mundane innocent - albeit kind of insincere - questions wear the possibility in them to entail a chat where you can connect with a stranger? Namely a woman you're attracted to specifically. Before that, we would see a girl we like but we just wouldn't know what to say to her.

I did some approaches too myself today. I'm not going to actively log/count the approaches anymore. But still, it's fun to write about it.

I did 2 on the streets:

The first one was opening up with a girl who held a bottle of water. She walked in front of me so I increased my pace to get next to her. I asked her where she bought that water. It entailed a chat for about 30 mins and she then showed me a supermarket. Before I wanted to ask for the number she asked me if I have Instagram. I just suggested exchanging numbers. She took the initiative to enter my digits in her phone (I prefer the scenario where it's the opposite) but I didn't mind. She texted me so that's a good sign I guess.

Another approach was the scenario where I was peeling an orange at a plant trough somewhere in a not so crowded street. A girl passed by, I asked her where the closest closest bookshop is. Little chat. She showed me a coffee shop (I kind of shifted my question). I have her number but I didn't find the contact in WhatsApp (weird because she said she had it and she looked pretty down to meet).

Another one was in the grocery store, at the counter where you can order cheese and meat. I inquired a girl about the Russian salad but she wasn't really open for a chat.

I also did one in a little snack bar. A cute girl was before me so I asked her for some suggestions. She wasn't open to chat.

I also had a date with another girl I met through the challenge. I isolated her during the walk to go for the kiss but she didn't want it. She did however said that she wants to meet again. I guess I made my intentions clear...

20. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Interesting, Stoic. Sounds like you had quite the day yourself, now running a victory lap!

How long was the second what's app girl chat?

Also, how long do you think the date was in total? Was there any touching leading up to the kiss attempt?

PM me if you don't want to post any triggers here.