1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Was Marcus Aurelius a virtue signaller?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by onceaking, Feb 28, 2021.

1. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

After all he wrote about living a virtuous life.

2. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

"Virtue Signaling" is usually more about a person bragging about how (they believe) they have achieved a higher level of virtue. It's when someone is clearly trying way too hard to convince others of their own personal moral superiority, usually without anything to back it up.

You see this a lot on social media, where someone will claim to be holy and righteous (or humane and progressive) merely because they identify with a particular political party. Or they are unable to perform an act of charity without hiring a professional camera crew to record them doing it.

Marcus' book of Meditations was never meant to be published, he actually wrote that book just to help keep himself sane and wanted it to be burned after he died. He also didn't write about how he thought his poo didn't smell because of how virtuous he thought he was. So I don't think he qualifies.

Mr Lee likes this.
  3. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

He was a boss but ruined everything by chosing commudus has his sucessor

primaljade likes this.
  4. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

He wrote his book as a journal without the intention of publication. Considering the value that Stoics place on not giving a shit about what other people think, any "Stoic" who does this isn't practicing what they preach. Romans crucified their enemies in front of the towns they were laying siege upon, so I don't think they gave a damn about virtue signaling like modern SJWs.

p.s. I'm no Stoic but some of their advice is very useful.