1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by RiseToGreatness, Sep 22, 2019.

Should the Thread Title be extended?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2020.
  1. No, leave like that: "The Lord of the Rings Challenge"

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Fellowship of Nofap"

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: Rising Fellowship of Eärendil"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Journey to Mount Doom"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Quest of the Ring-bearer"

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jaberwaki

jaberwaki Fapstronaut

Checking in on day 55. While I've had longer streaks than this I can absolutely say that this is the longest I've ever gone without fishing. The difference that has made in my orientation to PMO is earth shattering, so much so that I've decided to add 'fishing' as a reset action. If I click a link or type an actresses' name or whatever with the intent to sexualize that person and get a little dopamine ding, then for me that's a reset, end of story. That may mean a longer journey to destroy the PMO ring but this period of abstinence has taught me that I have never truly been abstinent from PMO before because of how fishing sustained the addiction, and I won't let that be the gateway to relapse again. Carry on my brothers and sisters!

2. Slider8

Slider8 Fapstronaut

Don't be afraid ! Just chew lembas and carry on.
    '...Not surprisingly, within Tolkien’s Middle Earth there was a special type of bread called lembas, which sustained Frodo and Sam as they reached the place where their journey ended.

The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. It did not satisfy desire, and at times Sam’s mind was filled with the memories of food, and the longing for simple bread and meats. And yet, this way bread of the Elves had potency that increased as travelers relied upon it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind.
    For Tolkien, the Eucharist was that “way bread” or “food for the journey” that sustained him throughout every trial. While his stories may be some of the most popular works of fiction of all time, they were not his greatest love. Jesus, truly present in the Blessed Sacrament, was what Tolkien loved above all things...' by Philip Kozloski. You can read the whole article here.

3. Prophet Moonstruck

Prophet Moonstruck Fapstronaut

dAY 121! Today I have re-realized that I have everything I need, tough it's a mental state hard to maintain! I will keep at it!

4. Cartographer

Cartographer Fapstronaut

Day 3,

Its a fight, and I dont intend to give up.

Stay strong Fellowship!

5. LuckyMan

LuckyMan Fapstronaut

6. frosties

frosties Fapstronaut

7. eagle rising

eagle rising Fapstronaut

First, thanks for the questions! I will be as brief as I can. If you would like to see a more in depth view of what I will say here you can read my journal, if you'd like.

The "harsh" environment that I am referring to is this first world society. The way I see it is that this addiction and all addictions are born out of how we live in this day and age. And I completely understand that many people will disagree with this, but that's okay. That's why I am still here. There is still another layer to this, and that is the mind with the, what I will call, "karma of using women for my source of pleasure". That karma is still operating within me. I don't look at it as someone taking over me, I look at it as my programming working the way I programmed it to do. I have accepted that what is happening to me is my doing alone.

You may be able to see how the modern sexualized world ties into my personal karma and using women as nothing but objects. This is the environment I speak of.

When the eagles bring me back it would be akin to me not operating in the programming of sexualization anymore. I will be able to pierce the surface of all women and look beyond the flesh into the very life beaming within. Further I will be able to walk the world without so much a movement of arousal energy when I see skin. Just love for the fellow life that just happens to have a different reproductive system. Right now, I minimize interactions with women. But I don't see myself as being restricted, just doing what is necessary.

There is no doubt that that can happen. I believe it is possible. The only reason I feel that it is possible is because I have seen such strength. One person I know for sure, my wife. She went through hell growing up but she is able to sit with me and talk about those times without even breaking down. I know I made a correlation here that some may think is questionable but I feel that it is valid. Other evidence of capabilities of the mind and human life: monks, gurus, Gabe Deen, and there is one other individual I can remember from a different forum. I felt his statement resonate with me, "PMO is not an option" which verbalized his mentality. And I know there are many more people that have gone beyond.

In the beginning, this is what I read everywhere across forums, so I believed it. But, what others wrote was not in the context of LOTR. I believe that how Frodo was affected by the ring is indicative of what societies typically feel nowadays. "Your deep addictions will forever change you and you cannot experience life like you did before." I believe there is one way that will truly lead you to a joyful life and that is "to create distance between yourself and your mind and body". This way I found through Sadhguru. He changed how I viewed my recovery. What I see as common in the forums is what I refer to as maintenance, rather than transformation.

I can, and I can't at the same time. The mind within feels that connection with the character. But, now I am more able to discriminate between what thoughts I would like to empower and which ones I will not bother with.

8. HE^MAN

HE^MAN Distinguished Fapstronaut

9. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

Day 93. A busy week coming to a close. Still feeling strong. The temptations have really subsided at this point. I am even able to tolerate dating apps.

10. Day 14 complete! It's hard to believe sometimes that I'm consistently hitting two weeks now when I used to use PMO once or twice a day.
    That's quite a broad question! If you haven't already, I would read this article provided by NoFap.

11. Thank you
    @Gallade_Templar

12. RiseToGreatness

RiseToGreatness Fapstronaut

well, the ideal is to follow a triggers prevention plan, that way it will be unlikely that you fall into a triggered state. however, if you´re feeling triggered or with strong urges, here´s my recommendation:

you must attend the three main axis that are off-balance, in this order:
    1 - Emotional - Calm yourself down. per ex: do the breathing space meditation.
    2 - Mental - Engage in self-talk. Talk with yourself with 100% honesty, recognize what is going on right now, what are the consequences, and that you don´t want to give in.
    3 - Behavioural - Change the circunstances that you´re in. Don´t run, do it firmly, heads up.

Urges are fueled by sexual thoughts so don´t feed those thoughts, it´s very important.

Cold showers are particular effective to kill urges, boost your mood, increase alertness and release dopamine in a positive way. so take cold showers in a regular basis and/or when triggered ;)

13. RiseToGreatness

yes, i think that more important than your tight criteria around fishing, it´s the self-awareness that you gained over fishing. that fishing means objectification of women and therefore is deeply wrong.

that is the best conquest you have made brother :). now is just a matter of holding the addicted brain from trick you, in sensitive situations ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  14. RiseToGreatness

sure sis, welcome to Middle-Earth ;)

it begins.gif

15. RiseToGreatness

Checking in Fellowship :). I decided to add another reboot "tip" to the front page, "recall your personal values". i notice from my experience and the experience of other rebooters, that when we regularly recall and are aligned with our moral values, it´s much easier to keep our behaviour in the right track.

so, my personal values are: Joy, Compassion, Peace, Energy and Creativity ;)

Let´s welcome our new member:

@frosties

The following brothers have upgraded and reach places in Middle-earth. You rock!!! ;)

@Rebel_Bro - Uruk-Hai
    5.gif

@MyGodandMyAll27 - Doors of Durin / Moria
    dia 49 - doors of durin.gif

Checking out Fellowship!!!! ;) Have a great day and wonderful weekend!!! :emoji_muscle:

16. KingWhalers

KingWhalers Fapstronaut

17. Cartographer

Cartographer Fapstronaut

Day 4,

Early morning check in. Homework grind is real and felt a big wave of burnout last night. Work has been pretty physically demanding and I feel as though what once was a grand blaze is now no more than the flame atop a candle. Working on rekindling my drive. Any advice? I have always been a forceful barge through kind of individual (I'm and Aries and a Marine lol) but looking for more of a calm approach.

I am playing with fire because on my last reset I have set up an account on a P site and I am letting it sit. This is not the first time that I have subscribed to P, however, this is the first time that I have not reacted in a knee-jerk sort of way to delete the account when I was back on the horse. My intent is to work with the urges that arise since I have access to what I would normally reset with. This being said, I am working towards the natural dissolution of the want to go to that site so that I can move calmly into the space to delete my account.

Tally ho Fellowship!

18. Rebel_Bro

Rebel_Bro Fapstronaut

Day 7 check in. First week was not as bad as I thought. However this morning has been tough so I decided to come on here and do my update and read some forums to remind myself to stay strong