1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this workout plan enough for mass gain?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Revenant in life, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Revenant in life

Revenant in life Fapstronaut

Week1:

Monday : Full upper body (two exercises per muscle)

Friday : Full upper body (two exercises per muscle)

Week2:

Wednesday : Full upper body (two exercises per muscle)

(I practice soccer regularly with cardio so I train my lower body)

2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Uhhhhhhhhhhh I guess, would rather see you hit full body 3 days a week. Soccer alone isnt going to beef up your legs and 2 excercises per body part a week is pretty lacking

3. TotalityEnjoyer

TotalityEnjoyer Fapstronaut

I agree, a bit more volume would be good. But keep in mind OP, that weight gain is dependant on diet also, if you aren't taking in enough calories and protein your results will be lacking.

4. AlphaWolf1408

AlphaWolf1408 Fapstronaut

Mass gain will be depending on diet only. Training will be the stimulus, and without the building materials your body won't grow.

TotalityEnjoyer likes this.
  5. Sterkte

Sterkte Fapstronaut

Could you provide a little bit more detail?
    How many sets/reps are you doing for each exercise? What is the intensity? (by that I mean, how heavy are the weights on say a scale of 1-10, or % 1RM if you know what that means.)
    Are you in the gym, or is this body weight/resistance bands?

I'm a personal trainer, so I'd love to give you some tips about this! Good for you for getting started on a routine! The others here also made some good points about the importance of diet, and also the volume being a little bit low.

6. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

So no leg day

7. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

I don't think so. I practiced all my life bodybuilding.

And it looks you are a newbie, you need more days to learn the technique of exercises. And you don't have enough experience to do so little volumen. You will need to train HIT high intensity training like Mike menzter or dorian yates to train so little. And that will mean very heavy lifts.

I usually train very little but very intense dorian yates style but you are a begginer so no, you will not make huge gains that way.

But maybe some gains because you are new in exercise and your body will just respond to any stimuli you Give to it.

And do legs soccer doesn't replace leg day.

8. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I would say you need to add at least one more workout per week, at least one exercise per workout and as others have said, pay attention to your legs. Soccer is somewhat helping your legs but what it really is, is a whole lot of cardio and that's OK but too much cardio can actually work against mass gain especially if you're built naturally thin like me.

What has really worked for me is the following:

LEG DAY
    - 3 way Lunges (front, back, lateral): 2 sets 8-10 with light kettlebells (essentially my warmup)
    - Bulgarian split squats: 3 sets to failure each leg - these freakin HURT
    - Dumbbell Front Squats: 3 sets of 10
    - Romanian Deadlift: 3 sets of 10
    - Calf raises on the seated Leg press machine: 2 or 3 sets of 12-15

When weather is nice I will sometimes replace Leg Day with a sprint interval workout at my local high school's running track: 3 sets of 5-6 all out 40-yard sprints, with the time walking back as rest. These workouts blow up my legs, especially my calves, like you wouldn't believe.

1 or 2 days rest as needed, then...

UPPER BODY DAY
    - Clean & Press: 4 sets of 8-10
    - Dumbbell Bench Press supersetted with Dumbbell Hex Press: 3 sets of 10
    - Tricep rope pushdown supersetted with Dumbell curls: 3 sets of 10

1 or 2 days rest as needed, then...

CORE DAY
    - Deadlifts: 4 sets of 8-10
    - Dumbbell rows (one arm at a time kneeling on bench for support) 3 sets of 10-12
    - 2-3 sets each of 4 non weight exercises i.e. crunches, Russian twists, plank reachouts, bicycle crunches etc.

1 or 2 days rest as needed then start over with Leg Day again. More often than not this is 2 days and sometimes even 3 because deadlifts really take it out of me and I'm upper body dominant so if I'm not really rested going into Leg Day it's not going to go well.

So note: even though each day focuses on body parts, EVERY day includes at least one of the compound exercises: squat, deadlift, bench press, or overhead press (clean & press in my case which is essentially a deadlift finished with an overhead press). These exercises, done with free weights as heavy as you can handle while still getting the reps, will seriously promote testosterone and growth hormone production which benefits the whole body. Core Day may look like wasted time but it builds the "non visible" strength, balance and coordination you need to keep progressing in your lifts and reduce the risk of injury.

For what it's worth none of these workouts take me more than 50 minutes and sometimes as little as 35 but I guarantee you I'm gassed at the end and have lifted a hell of a lot of combined weight in that time. I'll be 55 the end of this month and look better than 80% of the guys half my age around here. I'll never be anywhere close to a pro or even amateur bodybuilder but this regimen has literally reshaped my body (and my hormone profile) and it's continuing to get better.

And then yes, eating enough and the right blends of healthy food, and plenty of sleep/rest. Supplementation (which in my case includes creatine, L arginine, maca, tongkat ali, zinc, ashwagandha, selenium, vitamin D and a B complex vitamin) is up to you but the other things above come first.

P.S. combine all this with NoFap and you might even see some gains "down there" and libido will never be a problem. Trust me on that.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021