1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your purpose? And when do you feel it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by PotentialJukebox, Mar 14, 2021.

1. For me, the idea of following a "calling" or "purpose" can be helpful, especially on those dull days when when you feel disconnected from every action and person in your life. The idea is to look beyond goals that may have been planted in your mind by other members of society (like scoring a high-paying job, getting a degree, being a celebrity, ...). Your calling is your very own way towards leaving your mark on this world, it's one-of-a-kind. It might seem irrelatable or estranging to others. And I feel like, nowadays, we are scared of following those personal and intimate ambitions that we might have developed in childhood. We abandon our old dreams, labeling them irrational and unachievable. But they can always serve as guidance, I believe. So, I'd be interested to hear in which life situations you have experienced something akin to purpose, and whether it is still something you live by today. I'd like to know how strong this voice is within you, in which moments it becomes clear, and what drives it into the background. And, of course, whether you've done anything in the past to amplify that voice within you, and how that worked out.

One of my purposes is definitely harmony. I haven't grown up in a very communicative or empathic family, so whenever I take my time to really understand someone, when I allow myself to be vulnerable with someone, and when we reach a point of mutual understanding about a certain life Situation or belief, I feel immensely grateful and satisfied. The pursuit of these moments has already led me to be more honest with others, to be genuinely interested, to try and ask the very best questions I can come up with, etc... But of course, there's still so much to learn and discover.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Correct me if I'm off track here.
    I believe what you are talking about is that from the big question: "What is the meaning of life?", you have come to the conclusion it may be unique in each individual and that it is you and you alone who can derive it. I absolutely love how you phrase it!

So what is my purpose... I don't believe I've ever attempted to put it into words in such a way. When I was 13 years old, I was taught the bible. I read into it literally, and I rejected it, being consumed by nihilism in the process. 10 years of that passed before Jordan Peterson elucidated the path to get out of that mess. And by his school, I would say my purpose now is to reduce the suffering that I as well as those around me are subject to. This thought is far from being original, and I do not claim to adhere to it aptly, although the thought of it is more beautiful than anything else I can imagine.

Why does this resonate with me? I'm not actually sure I can put that into words. I want to share my joy when I have it.
    When do I feel it the most? Most definitely on NoFap. It's incredible how much more love you get for the world around you when you quit PMO.

3. Hey Peter, those are great thoughts. Thank you for rephrasing my long rant in much more concise words :D

I find your experiences with purpose in a religious context very interesting. It doesn't seem too uncommon to me that one would intuitively reject the bible's messages when one takes it literally. I'm glad to hear that you were willing and able to move past that stage, and actually find a personal purpose among its teachings. To try and reduce the suffering that we are facing in this world is surely a noble purpose, and, at the same time, a very daunting task. After all, we're confronted with not only our own suffering and the pain of those close to us, but, in modern times, also with the suffering of those all over the world, sometimes bundled into societal trends, sometimes amplified via social media. It can be hard to face all this in good spirit and become active.
    I love how you say that the thought of reducing suffering for yourself and others is more beautiful than anything else you could imagine. That's the kind of "heightened experience" that I was trying to adress with my words. Maybe there's been particular situations in your life where you've experienced the strength in freeing yourself from a huge weight, or seeing the gratitude in someone's eyes for being relieved of such a weight. Or maybe seeing someone suffer has filled you with burning rage and determination. I think that we can grow stronger by tapping into the emotions of such moments. They are not merely among the whirlwind of feelings that pass through us each day. They have something remarkable, quite divine to them. And I think they can guide us if we allow ourselves to resonate with them, not being overwhelmed by all the other stuff that's being thrown at us.

4. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

My porpuse is my duty and what is my duty? To serve the emperor will! What is the emperors will ? That we fight and die !!!! Whats its death? It is my duty !!!!

PotentialJukebox likes this.
  5. Loving Loveless

Loving Loveless Fapstronaut

The concise version.

Purpose: to create.
    When do I live the purpose: every moment I'm not sleeping or playing games. Hell, even in my sleep I work on stuff. Usually dream of some "out of this world" city I built.

Im no engineer. And i chose a career in business. But to create something is definitely an enjoyment. Im doing some hydroponics atm. Will post a few pics now and again. Its a good sideline for everyone, to build a cheap system to grow food. Got lots of seasoning and tomatoes atm. Looking to branch off into leafy vegs soon.

PotentialJukebox likes this.
  6. My dream and my purpose is to be a truck driver. I would love to drive a big rig and make it my life. I want to move out my mom's and get a nice spacious apartment in Connecticut and live an independent lifestyle. I want to make new friends and introduce a girlfriend in the mix. Really all I want is independence and financial security.

7. Loving Loveless

Very likely. Truck driving or transport is a necessity as no transportstion system is fully automated yet. Once borders open across the globe fully, trade will pick up. And so will transport. Your skill, or your dream will actually become a demand and a reality.

8. I love to grow things too. One day I might move to somewhere warm and just grow a bunch of fruits and vegetables on my property and live on them. I also always wanted to try and grow hybrid fruit and try a new flavor. There are hybrid bananas that they call "cotton candy bananas" There's some interesting hybrids out there

Loving Loveless likes this.
  9. Truck drivers are actually in high demand in the USA. There's actually a shortage of drivers. America needs truck drivers to transport food and everything else otherwise prices will go up due to demand. I see it as I'm keeping America moving. It pays alot too if you are interested

Loving Loveless likes this.
  10. Loving Loveless

I like that goal or purpose. To make something new, rather than replicate an old creation. Hybrids was focus when I had now started off in light agri. Originally just some cross pollination, grafting and mixing. My uncle made a kind of lemon orange hybrid. Always struck me that its not an actually fruit by name, but is still a fruit.

11. Yeah theres a bunch of variations out there. I never grew a hybrid before so I would have to learn how to do that. I grew a sunflower before and I tried to grow weed before but it didn't work out. I have some seeds for gem corn that you can pop into colorful popcorn. I might do it this year if I'm not lazy. But seeing a plant grow bigger and bigger is interesting to me

12. Loving Loveless

True. I am interested in the supply chain entirely. Driving, not so much. Quite a few reckless ones on the roads that cause me to speak in an unholy manner :). I do import a few stuff from abroad. Most of my pumps are from Uncle Sam. The plexiglass trays as well. I actually did some research. US has a quite a few of those "smart farms". I see hydro as the next step in agri. In my country (third world) its definitely an opportunity for us. Maybe thats my purpose. To spread knowledge on efficient methods of growing food.

13. Nice man! I hope it works out for you. Try to mix it up and sell them something exotic