1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

10 year's freedom from pmo - my Catholic method

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Great testimonial. I think I never heard something like that. 58 years of being faithful to the promise given to God. It's cosmos for me. Great respect to your father. This shows how God likes promises given to Him - of course promises that are kept. Even great miracles can be as a reward. That promise was combined with an everyday additional prayer - rosary in this case. So prayer plus promise plus trying to be obiedent to God (because somebody who additionally prays rosary every day receives for sure the grace to be more and more obiedent to God. CPilot, tell about this as many believers as you can because it's a great testimony and the path for you too this had been doing your father. The fruit can be great.

About promises, vows - taken from Summa Theologiae - https://www.newadvent.org/summa/3088.htm

(Ecclesiastes 5:3): "If thou hast vowed anything to God, defer not to pay it, for an unfaithful and foolish promise displeaseth Him."
    A vow denotes a binding to do or omit some particular thing.....
    we make promises to God not for His but for our own profit....
    by vowing we fix our wills immovably on that which it is expedient to do. Hence it is expedient to take vows.....
    Augustine says that "happy is the necessity that compels us to do the better things."...
    a man incurs danger, not from the vow itself, but from his fault, when he changes his mind by breaking his vow. Hence, Augustine says : "Repent not of thy vow: thou shouldst rather rejoice that thou canst no longer do what thou mightest lawfully have done to thy detriment."...
    a vow is a directing of the thing vowed to the worship or service of God. And thus it is clear that to take a vow is properly an act of latria (a theological term (Latin Latrīa, from the Greek λατρεία, latreia) used in Roman Catholic theology to mean adoration, a reverence directed only to the Holy Trinity. Latria carries an emphasis on the internal form of worship, rather than external ceremonies.) ...
    The matter of a vow is sometimes the act of another virtue, as, for instance, keeping the fast or observing continency; while sometimes it is an act of religion, as offering a sacrifice or praying.....
    He who promises something gives it already in as far as he binds himself to give it....

Article 6. Whether it is more praiseworthy and meritorious to do something in fulfilment of a vow, than without a vow?

it is better to do a deed in fulfilment of a vow than without a vow: since he that does it without a vow fulfils only one counsel, viz. the counsel to do it, whereas he that does it with a vow, fulfils two counsels, viz. the counsel to vow and the counsel to do it.....
    the works of the other moral virtues (for instance, fasting, which is an act of abstinence; and being continent, which is an act of chastity) are better and more meritorious, if they be done in fulfilment of a vow, since thus they belong to the divine worship, being like sacrifices to God. Wherefore Augustine says that "not even is virginity honorable as such, but only when it is consecrated to God, and cherished by godly continence......
    he that vows something and does it, subjects himself to God more than he that only does it; for he subjects himself to God not only as to the act, but also as to the power, since in future he cannot do something else. Even so he gives more who gives the tree with its fruit, than he that gives the fruit only....
    a vow fixes the will on the good immovably and to do anything of a will that is fixed on the good belongs to the perfection of virtue,....
    the necessity resulting from a vow is caused by the immobility of the will, wherefore it strengthens the will and increases devotion.....
    the necessity resulting from a vow, in those who are well disposed, in so far as it strengthens the will, causes not sorrow but joy.....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    SuccessInRebooting likes this.
  2. Justonemoreday

Justonemoreday Fapstronaut

Our battle against PMO is certainly a spiritual one. Check this from Fr. Ripperger: The solution is exactly what Mr Eko suggests: repentance, sacraments, prayer. When you take your commitment seriously about ending PMO, God will flood you with graces to be obedient and you will end this addiction. Is your goal to get to Heaven? Then you must stop PMO and live a life of chastity. I hope that I can be obedient to the will of God, be chaste and get to Heaven for eternal glory--not this seconds-long pleasure experienced with PMO. Pax Christi

3. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I wish to thank Mr. Eko for sharing his wisdom here. I encourage everyone to follow the strategies he describes. They are working for me, not only against the temptations of lust, but also with my propensity for a short temper and against the roots both of these sins have in pride.

Mara43, SuccessInRebooting and Keli like this.
  4. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

Very good!

Thanks for your testimony. I hope someday to get to your goal.
    How old are you?

5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I committed this sin for 50 years! Fifty years that I could have spent growing in love of God and understanding of His nature but instead I kept dragging myself back into this pit of mortal sin. I knew it was a sin from the first time I committed it at age 12, so I cannot use the excuse of ignorance. I am a cradle catholic and although I have had my faith crisis, like everyone, I have been a devout catholic for nearly the entire period that I committed this grave sin.
    Like you, I want the rest of my life to be free from this sin and like you I made many vows, hundreds perhaps thousands, to never indulge again. When I embarked on my current streak of success, Mr. Eko kindly reached out to me and told me of this method. Never before have I managed to go this long without relapsing. I cannot recommend what he has offered highly enough.
    I am now employing it to address another failing of mine - quick temper. I am not as advanced in my ability to recognize the temptations that preclude this sin but I can say that these small promises and prayer are making a difference.

Mara43, Keli and Stommy like this.
  6. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

The way is easy rather. I'm 51.

Stommy likes this.
  7. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

The history of CPilot is interesting.
    the method illustrated by Mr. Eko is intuitive and I think excellent for all types of habit and habitual sin.

8. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

And then, you quit this horrible habit when you is 44...
    An excellent result!

9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

That's right but my childhood and young years were lost.

10. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

Maybe but most of your peers have not achieved these goals.
    Yours is a huge achievement.

Mara43 likes this.
  11. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

Mister Eko, can you say 2 specific things that were key to getting 7 years without PM?
    Two fundamental supports that made the difference.

12. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Two fundamental things are incomplete. In fact there are THREE fundamentals because even if two are present the lack of the third prolongs pmo fight. The three are:

1. A decisive and daily decision to obey God and His Church ( daily trying to do what the Bible and church say)

2. Prayer at the moment of sexual temptation (each temptation) and at the moment of intense negative thoughts or feelings (because they lead to 'medication' and 'relief' by the means of pmo)

3. temporary promises to God (not to do pmo, not to watch tempting images (even fashion shows and the like 'mild' scenes) , promises to start praying in each dangerous temptation)

Without comments the three are:

1. repentance
    2. prayer at the moment of temptation
    3. temporary promises to God

PilgrimJason, Mara43 and Stommy like this.
  13. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Please allow me to add one more thought here. When I consider the many years that I committed this sin, I am tempted to self-loathing and despair. These feelings are from the devil for our loving Father doesn't want these horrible feelings for us, He wants us to experience true joy.
    The new testament is full of examples where Christ forgave sinners. Romans 6 addresses this so well, in my estimation. Particularly verse 11: "And you, too, must think of yourselves as dead to sin, and alive with a life that looks towards God, through Christ Jesus our Lord."
    In my understanding, the person who lived the last 50 years of my life is dead and buried. The man I am today is a new and different man who has been freed from sin. I still have free will, for God doesn't give a gift and then take it back, but through constant prayer the Holy Spirit is providing the compelling grace to obey God's will as an act of love to the Father and in this way I am free, clean and new.

14. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

Thank you.

This point, in my opinion, is particularly important because all harmful thoughts and emotions are the main way to fall back into bad habits, pm and also binge eating, compulsive shopping, alcohol addiction etc.

CPilot likes this.
  15. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Excellent conclusion.

Our main problem, root of addictions, is not an addiction. Our main problem is where to find relief and healing when we are attacked by bad painful thoughts, emotions, feelings, -- how we react when something difficult and painful happens in our life.
    As long as we don't look for relief nearing to God as long we look for relief anywhere else - often in addictions which are pleasant enough to 'heal' our pain. At least temporarily.

16. And yet God is the Great Recycler, and even "lost years" can be a powerful tool in his hand.

On the one hand, somebody who has been caught in the snares of the enemy for 5, 10, 25, even 50 years has indeed cause to mourn the lost experiences of goodness, beauty, and truth that could have been had and shared during that time. And yet, on the other hand, what a powerful witness to God's patience, mercy, and power! "If someone who has been stuck in this for 50 years was able to find a level of freedom thanks to God's grace and the active reception of that grace, maybe I, too, have hope!" God's glory was manifest to a higher degree by Jesus permitting that Lazarus die only to resurrect him before others, than had He healed him immediately of his disease. In fact, the fact that He let him die was a sign of His love for him! It reminds me of Christ's dealing with the suffering of Lazarus, his friend. From John 11:

Now a certain man was ill, Laz′arus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Laz′arus was ill. So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness is not unto death; it is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by means of it.” Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Laz′arus. So when he heard that he was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. ...

And then he said to [his disciples], “Our friend Laz′arus has fallen asleep, but I go to awake him out of sleep.” The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, “Laz′arus is dead; and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

The manner and the time at which we heal is in God's discretion. Of course, we need to participate in this work, and without repentance, prayer, and diligence from our end, it is impossible to find lasting healing. And yet, perhaps He may let some of us linger for a bit longer to bring us to that place, that His glory may be better manifested through us in the end, whether it be towards the end of our lives, or once He returns again, and His Mercy and Justice are made manifest to the whole world in and through the life of every soul. And yet to delay conversion is playing with fire! So "if today you hear His voice, harden not your heart."

May it be so with all of us today.

Onward unto God!

Pax.

Mara43, Keli and CPilot like this.
  17. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

I understand these words so: we don't know when is the time when God heals us but it doesn't mean we can neglect our repentance thinking that it's maybe not yet the time of our healing. Our part is doing all possible now and God's part is to give healing whenever He will but there are some tips in the Bible suggesting that God's intervention will be soon provided we don't give up our honest prayer:

Luke 11:5-8 ''5 Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; 6 a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ 7 And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ 8 I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.''

When I analise my addicted years I distincly see that my cooperation with God was not enough (often inconsequence, long periods of staying in grave sins, neglecting of prayer etc. ) in my case it's not that I tried as hard as I could and God gave me freedom after 33 years of my heroic fight. It's rather a chain of unbelief, free hunting after pleasure, neglecting faith life, prefering my own life plans, persuing vanity and so on and my efforts to listen to God and His church were less or more periodically (with some exemptions when I really tried hard but after some time seeing not much fruit my depression periods lasted sometimes longer than my efforts ).
    I daubt God's plan was to keep me in pmo sins for 33 years. I rather think it was partially the result of growing up in a broken destroyed by alcohol family plus my own faults.
    The lack of this (or later not enough of this) would I consider as the main source of my 33 year long addiction.
    But God can use my lost years for sure.
    Lazarus' death was not a sin. I mean God's plan can be allowing some trouble, suffering in order to collect something positive after even a long time. But can be God's plan allowing somebody to lead a sinful life? Yet God hates sin. God can use a sinful life of a person but it would be rather plan B in case this person didn't want to choose plan A or had not enough opportunity to choose plan A (because of the sins of his parents, enviroment etc.)
    All I wrote in this post is only my opinion. I'm not sure why God allowed my 33 year long addiction or why God allowed the saint Mark (the addicted Chinese) to be addicted his whole life. Was that God's plan or only plan B? (my provisional dictated by logic answer is plan B)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    SuccessInRebooting, CPilot and Keli like this.
  18. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Beautiful and wise! Thank you for this post, it went straight to my heart and lifted me up.

Joseph of Miriam and Keli like this.
  19. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Your thoughts mirror my thoughts on this question of God's plan. When my daughter died of cancer several years ago, I had to recognize that this was God's plan for her. My wife and I mustered a cadre of people to join us in prayer for her healing but it did not happen as we wished. Now, I see that she was healed in heaven where she is now able to be an advocate for us and many others who knew her. I still believe in the power of prayer but I recognize that God's wisdom and planning is far, far superior to mine. It can be no surprise that His plans are different from my own. I have the intellect of a worm compared to Our Precious Lord.

Stommy and Keli like this.
  20. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

But the case of your daughter and Lazarus' are not comparable with pmo addiction. Why? because their disease and death could be not a result of their sins but pmo addiction is something joining sin plus disease. The big question is if God's plan can allow sin? In another words - is God's will that we sin? I know that His will is that we become holy.

Keli likes this.