1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Where does a fat guy start?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Renew_1990, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Renew_1990

Renew_1990 Fapstronaut

So im a big rig.
    I need to lose about 85lb
    Im 31 now
    When i was a teenager I was a solid guy. Played rugby, spent heaps of time at gym ect.
    But now i don't know where to start.
    Im tired, lethargic and a little depressed.
    I struggle to look at my own dick.
    Apart from being obese I dont have any health conditions except for slightly high blood pressure that the Dr is monitoring. My dr is fairly astute,so whenever i see her for work medicals I get tested for diabetes, kidney function ect and so far im still ok. So she has really encouraged me to exercise.

But I have so far to go
    Where the hell do I start?
    How does one just wake up and start living like a healthy person?

2. AlexFightsAlex

AlexFightsAlex Fapstronaut

I would go for a simple, brutal impulse: cold showers every day, the first thing in the morning. My experience with this is great, I think that maybe they are one of the most overlooked tools.

This can be your first step, then it's a matter of changing habits, one by one. No rush, but no pause. Reading your message I can see that to modify little by little your diet would be a next step: taking out sugar or caffeine for example, drink more water, etc.

Also the exercise can be introduced little by little, starting with walking everyday in a consistent basis for example.

The most important idea here is that a complete change in all habits must be done, but all at the same time is a very frustrating thing. Step by step, and every day better than the previous one.

Courage man!

3. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

What kind of foods do you usually eat? Have you tried low carb diet?

Akbarmagnus and bloudermilk24 like this.
  4. losing weight is just calories burned vs calorie intake.
    Become active.
    if work is 1-2km walk it
    2-5km cycle
    5-10km cycle and walk
    just make it happen even if you got to crawl because it will get easier and become no big deal

whatever work is try make it so you are moving throughout it, or if your unemployed find a job any job, but preferably one that will keep you on your feet and moving.

watch a lot less tv, stay off phone, talk to people, fix things, clean things, stay busy, walk the dog, find new places, find a sport that you like, any sport can even be something as low intensity as darts as long as your not siting your active and when your having a good time it keeps you going.

just become active, and eat less and you will feel a lot better in no time.

Akbarmagnus, Toni7 and bloudermilk24 like this.
  5. Renew_1990

Renew_1990 Fapstronaut

Diet is pretty bad but that's no surprise for someone my size.
    Im well aware of the need to reduce calories and processed food/sugar. However, im not sure if low carb is the best option for me. Ive tried it before and it starts to make me feel sick after a while and i rebound. I feel like i at least need some carbs in the morning like oats or something similar.

6. greenboy_01

greenboy_01 Fapstronaut

First of all what does a normal day for you look like in terms of eating and drinks?

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  7. Renew_1990

Renew_1990 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice.
    I do have a job. I guess the challenge for me is that I live about 75km from my work so its a long drive too and from work each day which means I either go to gym at 4am or after 8pm when im home. Not impossible by any means but it just takes a big jolt of motivation to get started.

8. Renew_1990

Renew_1990 Fapstronaut

Normally get up at like 5am for work, but a pie or sausage roll at the bakery nearby and eat it on my 70km drive to work. Lunch is usually a burger, toasted sandwhich or similar and dinner varies wildly between home cooked and takeaways but may include pasta, currys, pizza, thai food, fish (weekend hobby fishing so eat a lot of fish), stews and Mexican.
    Probably drink about 3cans of diet coke a day + water

9. greenboy_01

greenboy_01 Fapstronaut

Hmm that doesn't seem like the most healthy diet. I would try to start tracking your calories for some time, after a while you will know how much calories something has and how much you can eat. I would try to drop your sausage roll or pie at the morning and replace it by something healthy like oatmeal, if you don't have enough time to prepare something at the morning you could try overnight oats. Also the lunch doesn't seem the healtiest I would replace it with something else. And drop the takeaways they are full of fat and sugars which aren't good if you wanna lose weight.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  10. bobnajera

bobnajera New Fapstronaut

You start with changing your daily regime.

11. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

A good first step to making dietary changes is to start logging your daily calories in a free app like myfitnesspal. Be as honest as you can, no need to weigh things etc so long as you have some idea of portion control.

As you have super early starts, meal prepping the night before is going to be your savior. Overnight oats will give you lots of slow release energy, and you can vary it up each day with different fruits. Look online for inspiration. Buy yourself a smart lunchbox and start prepping salads, with plenty of healthy grains and proteins and fats. Remember you shouldnt feel starving hungry just because you are dieting! When you get home for work you shouldnt feel so fatigued and exhausted that you are tempted by the takeaway. Make sure you already have food in the house too so you arent shopping when tired and hungry! Again, go for nutrition and balance, going to bed hungry isnt sustainable.

You might find it helpful to plan your weekly menu ahead of time, when you are feeling inspired and not tired and hungry. Make it varied and interesting as well as healthy, you want at least one meal a day that you actively look forward to.
    If you cant face the idea of no takeaways, cut it down to once a week. After a few weeks, see if you can figure out how to cook your favorite at home. A home cooked version is almost always healthier, even without trying. Careful with those generous home portions though!

Prepping your food at work will save you tons of money too. Another idea is to pur this money and the takeaway money aside and buy yourself something nice after a couple of months - maybe some new clothes, they will start to look better on you.

Diet coke - yeah, you know you need to cut that out try one a day for a bit, see how it goes. If its the energy you want, try a banana?

virtuscb likes this.
  12. Same position as you.

I really like the quote by Eric Thomas: "Every day matters... I want you to be very deliberate about what time you go to bed... I want you to be very deliberate about what you eat... Why? Because every day matters!". Every little thing in the day matters. Every meal, every choice of nutrition, when you go to bed and so on!

So get out your knifes and chop some nice salads to every big meal. Make an effort.

And the sugar. In my opinion it makes you a short term addict. Always when I eat a chocolate, I feel on the next day the urge to eat one again. Don't eat any "big sugar snack" and you even forget that it exists.

Another thing: I decided to make photos of myself once every week. I make one from the front, one from the back and one of each side. Then I can compare the photos. It motivates a lot.

Download a running app. Keep track of the routes you have been running. Start to run like a senior person. Dont give a shit how slow you run. Run but try to run always for about an hour. Listen to music. Try to change up your routes to keep it interesting. Imo it sucks to always run the same route.

Go for Fitness. And never skip leg day!

Toni7 likes this.
  13. Watch your calories and I don't mean eat less just pay attention to what you eat and how much calories are in it. It helps to know the nutrition of what you're putting in your body especially if you have a goal of eating healthier.
    I would suggest substituting portions of your diet for healthier alternatives and eating smaller portions, not at the same time unless that's comfortable for you. The important thing to do is make good choices that you are comfortable with that allow you to still enjoy your food so when you're having a bad day you don't feel the urge to go back to old eating habits.

Exercise is pretty straightforward, you have experience exercising and playing sports so you know what works for you. Treat it a like a swim in a pool, start out with your toes and go deeper into the water as your body gets used to the temperature of the pool.

The key to progress is consistence, making efforts produce a habit or attitude over the course of 30 days which will reinforce your intention to reach your goal.

14. Hi brother

Go to the gym and start walking on a treadmill during 30 min everyday.
    Plus try to eat healthy food no more junk food brother.
    May God help you.

15. A Naija boy

A Naija boy Fapstronaut

You can just start by walking!
    Then diet, then light cardio exercises, then more more walking!!!

16. I'd say walking is the ultimate start to a fitness journey. Try to go for walks every day even if they're just 15 minutes, we all start somewhere. Current heavyweight boxing champ Tyson Fury even started with just 10 minute jogs when he was obese, lethargic and just getting started.

Akbarmagnus and Malik gilroy like this.
  17. SethLCU

SethLCU Fapstronaut

All of the above but just as important : the right playlist.

18. oldgoat14

oldgoat14 Fapstronaut

Use an online calculator to get an estimate of you daily caloric needs. Then start tracking what you eat with an app of some sort. Eat 500-1000 less calories than you need each day. Adjust numbers as needed based on how much you are actually losing vs what you calculated you should lose. Focus on calories, protein (.8g/day per lb of body weight), fiber (fruits and veggies).

If you want to workout, start with low intensity cardio and do resistance training. Building muscle increases your caloric needs and helps you lose weight.

19. JamieH

JamieH Fapstronaut

Try just going out for walks daily for 30 mins or more cutting down on the bad food don't beat yourself up if you slip up just keep trying

20. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    i highly advise people to lose wieght before they reach 50 years old, have you reached out for help on this, personal trainer, nutrienist , everybody needs knowledgeable help on this road , even if you can get someone once a week for now