1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you fear death?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BravelyKegger, Apr 22, 2021.

1. eagle rising

eagle rising Fapstronaut

Easy there cowboy. "Science" - it would be helpful if you would be a bit more specific. Perhaps you can point to a study or a few. Perhaps an article? If you want to provide an article I would kindly ask that it not be anything less than a secondary source. By that I mean a very short chain of references (to other articles, for example). It helps to reduce the "telephone effect". However, if you don't want to provide a reference that is fine. I am in no need to find out such a thing at the moment.

I never said that they were, nor do I claim such a thing. That would be mighty big of me, but alas I am just a clueless life no different than the rest. I was just wondering how one knew such a thing. It is quite marvelous, don't you think?

If we actually knew...well, I think people would be able to exploit such a "truth" to bring back, perhaps Newton or Galileo, for example.

Science points to a specific truth. Science is not the truth. In order words, science is a subset of the truth, but truth is not a subset of science.

DefendMyHeart likes this.
  2. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

If you don't fear death you've either not been confronted by it or you have never thought deeply about it.

In my early twenties I started thinking about death. So deeply and so conscious I was about it, it really made me panic when I thought about it again. The fact that one day, you'll be dead forever, and won't be able to experience consciousness anymore is what scared me. Because life is going to move on and you won't be there to see it.

I've spoken to a few friends about death back then, and they were all like 'Yeah I know it s**ks'. Obviously they had not thought about it as deeply as me, because once you start to realise the vast depth and infinity of the universe we live in, in comparison to our puny finite lives, and you won't be there to see the 'end' of it, or at the very least won't be able to understand anything of it, you can become real scared.

Once you've realised and become conscious about it to the point that you almost shit your pants and panic, come back and talk about death. But don't just say you don't fear it because you haven't thought or been confronted with it. Death is much scarier than that and we likely won't know how much we really fear it once we're really close to it.

A bit off topic.. but as humans we still have too little understanding about where we live in, and who or what we are. I mean, the concept of infinity is still hard to grasp. Everything on earth and near it is finite. And if the universe is finite, what happens to it afterwards? Inside what is that universe? I mean, I'm typing this from my house, which is in a town, in a state, in a country, on a planet, in a solar system in a universe.. but where does it end? Does it end at all? This is typical human thinking. Or are we trapped in a some sort of box, where if you go to the border you appear at the other end in the same box? But inside what is that box? And what's around that? Etc...

Mr.Tony, tryingitout and again like this.
  3. For me I think the opposite is true. I find that people that don't think too deeply about it have an instinctive fear of death.

I thought I was surely going to die before. When I woke up I admit I had to deal with the shock of still being alive and the trauma associated with it but in the end we all die. It's inevitable. When you just accept we can't change that and learn to think of it as another part of life then the fear goes away. I think that's why most old people, that I talk to anyway, are so chill when it comes to death. They are thinking about it because it is close for them. And a lot don't want to live longer because they are tired and their best days are behind them.

Live life to the fullest and don't waste it. I think fighting feelings of regret would be terrible to have on your death bed.

greenishmoon and again like this.
  4. again

again Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Very well stated. I'll have to write that one down. Thank you.

5. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

Life is too complicated to think about death, at least for me. Some people prefer death in life, sometimes I want to take the easy way out but I'd be a fool if I'd even think about it. My life is good compared to some that commit suicide, it's just my anxiety that fucks me up. And some hard ass decisions. Short answer: no I don't fear death.

Need2Rewire likes this.
  6. n0tmynam3

n0tmynam3 Fapstronaut

I would say that death makes me very scared the thought of dying with out doing anything impactful is terrifying. Also I'm young and have so much time left so the thought of that being cut short is terrifying.

7. Death is what makes living more worth it. Death isn't scary to me, it's part of life. Dying of your own actions that are stupid - that's kind of scary.

8. tryingitout

tryingitout New Fapstronaut

How did you eventually get past this mental panic?

9. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

It was a long time ago, like 15 years ago but I think it sorta faded away by itself. I still have these 'panics' on rare occasions, it scares the shit out of me, but after a quick panic it fades away. It rushes through me like a tornado, easy come easy go. But 15 years ago it took me months before it finally faded away. I couldn't really let it go.

I do believe I spoke with my mom and even a psychiatrist about it. My mom told me I shouldn't think about things like that, which sounded totally useless to me. The psychiatrist couldn't help me either. Obviously, because he was alive and couldn't tell more about death and what comes after than me.

Maybe it was sort of an unconscious acceptance that we don't live forever, or maybe I just forgot about it because I focussed on other things, either way it's likely that it'll fade away, like everything else in life, everything's temporary.

tryingitout likes this.
  10. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

B...shit.

Death and disappearance of our consciousness are just a big lie that has been spreaded all over he world just to enslave people.
    There is no death, and no end of consciousness, there is just leaving of our body, like we already did many times. To control people u must scare them, make them scared about many things, one of them is death, which actually does not exist.

Phisical world did not originate consciousness, it's the contrary, consciousness did originate physical world. If something has to end, that is physical world, not consciousness.

There is no death anyway, Only big enslaving religions like christianity and islam spread that, and more of them, the new big religion spread it even more, science. Science is the new big religion, between science duties there is one which is to scarepeople convincing them of death.

11. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

There's many books u can read about trespassing, which is not death. U should inform yourself about near death experiences, there a re thousands of videos on youtube. I had many out ob body experiences myself.
    Read "Autobiography of a yoghi" By Paramansha Yogananda, that would explain a lot to you.

Here u can find a nice NDE:

That guy's channel has a lot of them, but there's thousands on youtube, go watch them.

12. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

That's an agressive statement. I suppose you also think the pandemic is a sham? Do you really expect me to listen to you, and watch that YT movie with that attitude of yours? Because the best way ofcourse to debate with people is - obviously - to kick down the front door with both feet, call their opinions 'BS' and shove your own statements up their throats.

Or maybe you just crapped your pants reading my posts, and are aggresiely opposing it because you know what I said might be true. Anyway, none of it really matters, you're alive, so you know no more about death than I do.

13. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

I learnt about it first when my grandmother died as I was twelve.
    I think after that something broke inside of me, I understood that anyone I loved could dissapear tomorrow, somehow that created an outer shell in my "heart".

Obviously I fear death. It is not a friend of mine. However, when I would be near it, by my own hand or by the exterior, the perception of it has always altered how I perceived the world for good. It has the quality to lesser the ego so you can see things clearly. I hope someday I can confront it finally, because after all anyone who lets himself to be frightened about death, lives a live of fear.
    We all should be in a more death conscious and accepting society.

@arkad1 bro tell me more about that out of body experiences.

14. tryingitout

tryingitout New Fapstronaut

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at. I know there's not gonna be a solution, so just have to wait for myself to let time pass. It's always gonna come back up since it's always gonna be there. Kinda sad, but the only option seems to be to just enjoy your years best you can and try to trick yourself into not thinking about it too much.

Life is awesome, bummer there's an end then nothing

15. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

yes, i do because recently been talking alot of shit about muslims on social media and an well renounced Political Party India biased towards them have every detail about me because last month i was stupid enough to register their site then filled personal info like my house address, many other personal details plus my my real photo. I have heard they unwelcomely and without approval visits people who register on their site randomly so it really scares me. Some muslims also complained about me for religious hatred on social media then police turned up in our house though he countered them well and FIR was declined against me and when he told me about it he was pretty upset and told me to stop this nonsense and warned me about getting my internet cut off. I felt so scared like i might even get killed if police gets some bribe and reveals my personal info with them but he made sure our privacy is kept confidential just like they didn't tell us anything about the guy who complaint.

16. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

so funny.

You are the one who goes panic. Best wishes to you, think a lot about the fact that u will horribly disappear forever one day

Enjoy.

17. bernardand

bernardand New Fapstronaut

Yeah, sure. I think that it is a basic fear of every human

18. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

What concerns me more is failing to have a fulfilling life that satisfies me.

19. Oh Boy it is really a Scary Topic, Especially when you are the only one who feels the Death is Near, It really scares the hell out of you...

Sometimes they say Ignorance is a Blessing at least you can die waiting for God and be sent either to Heaven or Hell depending on the way you lived.

I don't know if Death is an Illusion or if Life itself is an Illusion, Because...

Who am i really ? Where were i before being born ?? Why am i here in this body, in this time and in this Story ? Why am i not some other creature ? Why a human ???
    I neber went deep into this until i've lost both of my parents, than i've started searching...

I have a few videos i want you to see:

To me personally, I'm not really sure where or why the freaking f**ck we are here ??

Are some sort of Lab Rat ? In a Simulation.

Are God's creatures ? I believed this... But once pure Logic comes in, it becomes a question of Faith and Belief not really convincing 100%.

Am the only conscious person ? Is this all a dream... ? Hmm... Not really... You need to be out of your mind to believe this.

My theories are:

You gonna go either:

- Heaven / Hell
    - Replay of your life ? ( Deja Vu...)
    - Reincarnation
    - It was all a Simulation!
    -.A Dream ?
    - Eternal Oblivion ~ Eternal Nothingness

If the latter is true, than our original place is non existant by default, being a live is just a short trip before heading back to our original place!

To tell you the truth, I really don't know it. Nobody has a convincing answer... We need the source code of the universe and whole existance to pinpoint which way are we heading.

To simplify it, Everybody and Everyone and Everything will come to an End someday, Life is like a Movie were you are already spoiled the ending were everyone will die, now you have a choice either enjoy watching it and enjoying it or spend the whole time complaining about why you were spoiled the ending, Enjoy the Trip my friend ~ And Good Luck with your story, at the End our original place is maybe nothingness, you didn't ask for your life, loved ones or the good things in your life, so enjoy them and be happy to have them before heading to your original place.

tryingitout likes this.
  20. Not any longer except in a certain sense yes early demise with unfinished business I do fear to a degree but I think I could let it all go in the final moment too perhaps or I like to think.