1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

So you don't care if you mistakenly don't follow the conventions? Why not asking before organising your book? :)

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Dont think he meant it like that, he just means he has nothing to lose if he asks, figure of speech.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Seeming to come up with many ideas for stories recently. A lot of them are short stories so I am tempted to write some alongside continuing my book, as opposed to just powering on with what remains of book 2. I may get some planning done today, may not, not decided yet.

I also wrote a haiku. To my ears it sounds like the last line is wrong but apparently "they're" is only one syllable when I look it up, so whatever.

Bright yellow meadows,
    seem to stretch on forever.
    They're endless. Endless.

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Need some advice.

I have a chapter called "In pursuit" and in my opinion it's too perfunctory, in that it works but it is also uninteresting. Can any of you guys think of a better way of wording that title so it gets across the same info but sounds, I dont know, "cooler"? Cause I really cannot think of anything.

5. That's a good idea. I do care but I meant my reply in a way that it's better than to try and tackle it alone.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  6. Hmm, I played around a little and I've got a suggestion for you:

Bright yellow meadows,
    seems to stretch on forever.
    It's always endless.

I know you didn't like the last line so I slightly changed it to make it more appealing to the ears. You don't have to accept my suggestion and that's okay. Another one I've thought of is "Always abundant" so if you're unhappy with that, just play around with a few new endings and see what jumps out as a better alternative. :3

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I like your suggestion. I think I will go with

Bright yellow meadows,
    seem to stretch on forever.
    It's endless. Endless.

as really it is only the use of "they're" that I didnt like. The rest of it I wanted to keep.

8. Gotcha. And does that work out better for you now?

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Got the next chapter planned out in enough detail to start writing properly next week. Will aim to get at least another chapter after that done at some point before Monday too.

With 12 chapters to go, we are building towards a climax that is bound to be controversial to some but I like it so much that it would take some serious convincing to get me to change it. Act 6 is called "Convergence of two fates" and finally puts the two main protagonists in the same location so they can finally meet each other.

Here's the thing though, as soon as they meet each other, they exchange a few words, and then the book just ends. BAM, HUGE cliffhanger that I hope will get people hyped to read the final book, which will take place immediately after this first meeting. Book 3 is the protagonists and all their supporting cast together for all of it, with the third protagonist joining in the fun later on.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

It does, thank you.

11. Glad to be of service!

AtomicTango likes this.
  12. What happened to your profile picture @AtomicTango?

So it's been a while since I've done one of these, but I went on ahead and added the haikus I wrote this month into my bundle for the year, which is now up to 37 poems in total. 13 of the 14 haikus I wrote made it with some needing some revisions because the word counts were a tad off. One poem, though, couldn't quite work despite me trying to revise it for about 30 minutes so I decided to let it go. There are also 2-3 other haikus I wrote but held back as I'm gonna try to work on them some more and see how I can better them so they'll be next month's starters.

I've also written 10,581 words worth of articles and revised another 4,000 words worth of pieces in the previous months. I've been on a writing spree on this because I've got a job opportunity I'm applying for and if I do get it, I want to have enough pieces to be published for a few months afterward. That's more of a side thing than anything else, but I really like doing that and I hope that it'll severe me well when I'm published someday.

Also, here's a sampling of the haikus I wrote this month:

cherry, plum, and pear;
    delicate fruit blossoms dot
    the festive spring air

discarded haikus;
    the poet revises the
    incomplete poems

a rotting flower,
    crushed beneath droopy petals,
    will rejuvenate

GottaBFree likes this.
  13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I changed my picture today. I think what you saw was the short gap between me changing it and it being verified by a mod. I'm assuming you can see it now?

I like all of these, especially 1 and 3.

14. Yes, I can see your new profile picture now.

Well, thank you. I appreciate it. I like to think I'm getting better at my haiku writing.

AtomicTango likes this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think so too, some of the ones you have posted are very poetic. You should post them more often imo.

16. I'll try to remember to do that as I continue writing them. I appreciate the compliment.

AtomicTango likes this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. An incredible book by an incredible author, might even be my favourite book, we will see upon completion.

I'm honestly fascinated by the author's entire process, and his approach to writing. He makes it seem so effortless, every single sentence is a work of art and like a mad genius he disregards conventions and invents his own. There is nothing out there even approaching his level in my opinion and he makes most other authors I have read look like absolute amateurs in comparison to him. Now I'm learning he doesnt even plan his stories, he just sits down and writes them off the top of his head. The guy is a living legend to me.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

A haiku inspired by Blood Meridian.

Lonely on the plains.
    Night falls, I see an evening
    redness in the west.

19. Ooh, I like this one. I love the tone it sets up.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you, but in the interest of fairness I have to admit that a lot of the work was done for me with this one. The full title of the book is "Blood Meridian, or The Evening Redness in the West."