1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I haven't seen it but I think it's considered a less dark version of the book.

2. Another rainy day. Might as well see if I can make a haiku from it.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Gonna start sharing some of my favourite descriptions from the chapter I am currently writing. Let me know what you guys think!

Now he was looking at an ocean that stretched endlessly towards the horizon, a simmering cauldron of petroleum beneath a nearly sunless sky. Off in the distance, coils of white lightning pounded the surface of the water with wild abandon, sending forth booms of noise that arrived not all that many seconds later. The storm was not here yet, but it would be.

As if all of this was staged, at that moment a ginormous lump of slick brown blubber pushed itself out of the water at the ship, its fearsome pinkish mouth open wide, a pair of tusks protruding like tree trunks almost scraping the hull. Before it turned itself in the air with frightening grace and slammed back into the water with an explosive splash, clusters of bloodshot eyes opened wide on the creature’s visage, studying what was in front of it with bestial intent.

The vessel soared through open space, a hunk of polished jet against the velvet blackness.

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

608 words in this mornings short session. May get some more in after lunch if I find the time. Either way the chapter is nearly done.

UPDATE: 650 more words done this afternoon. New total is 1258 words.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  5. Job Application's going well. I've got half of the documentation I need, but I may look at a new idea for an article this morning as well.

AtomicTango and GottaBFree like this.
  6. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Work has gotten back to prepandemic crazy busy and requiring prep work at night.

I wrote a new draft of a query letter. I'd like to finish it over the weekend. I'd like to start querying agents who don't ask for a synopsis over the weekend.

I'm getting more interested in self publishing it, but I will work the original plan to query first. Agents seem to want a copy of what has already been successful. There is a reason breakout authors are mostly self published these days lol.

I like how the book came together. I'd like to take my one in a million chance and then take a break. I have other book ideas I'd enjoy creating, but I probably need a career change first.

BoraxKarloff and AtomicTango like this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

958 words today. Chapter is done.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

What exactly do you do? Copywriting?

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

4925 words this week, taking my page total to 460.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The sky combusting.
    Gleaming twilight. Sun's swansong.
    Fleeting memories.

In blackening dusk,
    the lustrous moon hangs alone.
    Soon the stars will fall.

11. Letting myself go,
    I stare at the sun,
    thinking of a simpler time

I love it!

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  12. I wrote 869 words this morning. Off to a great start this week.

Henryforward likes this.
  13. UncleBarnacle

UncleBarnacle Fapstronaut

No. Copywriting, while paying well, falls under the "I want to blow my brains out" school of writing. Many aspiring writers go and fetch those books called "How To Make $50,000 a Year As A Freelance Writer," always written by those who fell on their face with fiction or non-fiction, and started hitting up corporations to get assignments writing about the wonderful new developments in marketing, or sales, or those other utterly fascinating aspects of humanity. Or published by those whose entire catalog consists of books telling you how you can be a success when their only success consists of...writing books about how to be successful. There are writers, and there are typists, yes?

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    GottaBFree and Henryforward like this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Alright, so what do you do then lol.

GottaBFree and Henryforward like this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1484 words today. Great start to the week.

16. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I'm basically stuck on my format edit. I think I'll start querying instead. I can remove tabs in a day if I get a nibble.

It seems a silly reason to delay the process. I'm assuming I'll be self publishing and want to get this out of the way.

AtomicTango likes this.
  17. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Fivrr has lots of people making bank editing and ghost writing.

This industry seems like prospecting for gold in the wild west. The people who make money sell idiots like me a pick and a durable pair of pants.

A few strike it rich and enough people to fill stadiums lose money buying picks and blue jeans lol.

AtomicTango likes this.
  18. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Lol. That is a great point and I'm glad you seem to have found something enjoyable. I'd much rather stick with my day job than write that kind of stuff.
    -----
    Here is a total thread hijack with no point at all other than the laugh I got reading your post jogged a memory.

I was at a company meeting. There was a motivational speaker who showed up. He met our leader at a park or something random and he had money to blow. He hired big name bands and stuff.

We were a small group lost in a huge corporation that had crazy budget money to I waste on crap like that, so this was perfect for a stuggling motivational speaker. He had a couple of great points but he could package it into emotional stories.

I talked to the guy for a while after. Through the bravado he let some details slip. He was basically scraping by and had been for 20 years. I actually admired the guts he had to sell the secret of life when he seemed to be trying to figure it out, but I also thought it was funny.

I googled him a few months ago. He is a mega selling self help author now. Good for him. He certainly put in the time to get there lol.

BoraxKarloff likes this.
  19. Mega selling? Can you say his name?

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1022 words today. Chapter might be done before Friday at this rate.