1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to read books?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by HE^MAN, May 5, 2021.

1. HE^MAN

HE^MAN Distinguished Fapstronaut

Recently I have finished reading TALES OF PERCY JACKSON , I have completed its 10 books and for a change i started reading four new books
    1- way of a superior man
    2-attitude is everything
    3- body language
    4-three magic words
    For now i am reading all books together i.e 1 to 2 lessons daily of each book.
    Now my question is should I continue reading like this or read books one by one.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated thnx.

2. wait, you're supposed to READ books? kinda explains why they taste so bad

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I personally think reading one book at a time is the better choice, as it allows you to take the time to focus on each and absorb it better. In 2020 I read an insane amount of books just to say I did it (was like 50+) and it wasn't worth it because it became a chore by the end. I advise taking it slow and reading for fun, not just knowledge.

Brain-Police, Anti-Hero and HE^MAN like this.
  4. Read whatever way suits you. Sometimes I read books one by one, other times I have 2 to 3 books on the go at once depending on what I'm in the mood for reading.

HE^MAN and Hadrian3 like this.
  5. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Why it was not good to read many books? Explain more?
    How many were fiction and how many were nonfiction? Does it make any difference?

6. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

7. I tend to have one non-fiction, and one fiction book on the go.

I write a lot, and so I find the blend helps me improve my vocabulary, and also, the contrast in styles helps too. Non-fiction delivers information to learn, whereas fiction does that sometimes, and also, it's creating a world from scratch using your imagination. That takes more effort for me, but also, more enjoyable.

I can never read two fiction books together, because I forget important details in the stories!

However, it's personal preference, and really up to you what you feel is best for your enjoyment and satisfaction.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I looked in my record and I read 56 books last year, which is more than one book a week. The overwhelming majority of these were full length novels. I'm already a fast reader but I had to read super fast to get that many done, and read even when I didn't want to. It became more about discipline than fun and the last few months I really struggled to muster the enthusiasm but I pushed on just to get it done. This year I plan to read only 30 books which is much more doable and it allows me to have more fun with the process.

None of the books were non-fiction.

9. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I can't even imagine that many. :D Truly must have been a special experience. I guess I'd struggle to swallow so much food of thought, so much content, so much thrilling stories.
    I haven't done anything like that. So, can't make much comments.

AtomicTango likes this.
  10. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I read around 10 books in 2020. I guess being non-native makes me at least half-speed. Nearly all was novels.

I decided to read more non-fiction books in 2021. But non-fiction books must be chosen more carefully as many of them are bad books. Usually I tend to read a few novels at the same time slowly. It increases the joy substantially for me comparing to read one at a time. But the books OP mentioned are non-fiction I assume? I'd read one at a time. Unless they're completely different. Like one is about social skills and another is about computer science.

Anti-Hero and HE^MAN like this.
  11. n0tmynam3

n0tmynam3 Fapstronaut

ok you read Percy Jackson so i can see that you like some fantasy so i'll very strongly recommend probably the best book series i've ever read. it's called "The Storm Light Archive" by brandon sanderson. it's really good they are all written extremely well and the and the characters just feel really real. the first book is called "The Way of Kings"

HE^MAN likes this.
  12. HE^MAN

HE^MAN Distinguished Fapstronaut

Thank you everyone for responding.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    n0tmynam3 likes this.
  13. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

"Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written."
    --Thoreau

14. ScottPiligrimm

ScottPiligrimm New Fapstronaut

As for me, I prefer to read books consistently. I can't concentrate on two or more different stories in one period

HE^MAN likes this.
  15. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

I usually just open the book and start putting meaning to the letters. Been doing it for my whole life so it's easy for, idk

I'm reading unknown empire by Dean Arnold. Great book, especially if you're into African and Abrahamic history.

HE^MAN likes this.
  16. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Same, this has been my habit for several years now. I tra ked 30 books last year, and am aiminh for the same this year. Usually 20-30 mins at bedtime only. I dont read in bed but read sitting in a chair at the end of my nighttime routine, retiring to bed once i start to find it difficult to concentrate.

Usually i find that i read fiction considerably faster. Non-fiction i am more concerned with retaining information. Sometimes i read self-help too so i try and do the activities etc. Not much point skimming through a book like that.

People who regularly read fiction have better empathy, and better understand the narrative of their lives, and other peoples. It can also help you be a better storyteller, which is a very underrated skill - how often has someone tried to tell you an anecdote but you were thoroughly confused a few minutes in? Fiction is also relaxing, and a healthy form of escapism.

A non-fiction habit is of course essential if you want to be knowlegable, wise, a better person. Learning throughout your life keeps your brain active, improves your memory, etc.

Anti-Hero, ShaggyAlonso and kropo82 like this.
  17. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

I'm similar @HE^MAN, I like to have four books on the go at any one time (not including technical books for work):
    1. A novel with literary merit (i.e. a classic, competition winner, or just something where the use of language is noteworthy),
    2. A gripping page-turner novel, or a young-adult or kids' book,
    3. An intruiging non-fiction (could be self-help, but more often not)
    4. An audio book for when I am out walking/cycling
    Currently I've ended up with two non-fiction works on the go (but that's unusual), and the quality of the writing in my page-turner is amazing (it is great when that happens):
    1. Felix Holt: The Radical (by George Elliot)
    2. The Mermaid of Black Conch (by Monique Roffey)
    3. Kindred: Neanderthal Life, Love, Death and Art (by Dr Rebecca Wragg Sykes) and Spoon-Fed (by Professor Tim Spector)
    4. Seven Pillars of Wisdom (by T. E. Lawrence, 'Lawrence of Arabia')
    I find that having several books on the go lends each one added momentum. Last year I set myself a stretch-goal of reading 30 books and ended up reading 58. I did not want to put pressure on myself this year so I set a goal of 35 and I've read 29 so far.

Anti-Hero and HE^MAN like this.
  18. You could also read How To Read A Book by Mortimer Adler. I have to admit I never finished it, though I remember it covers different types of books etc.

Some I guess have elements of both fiction and non-fiction, true stories - started Biology of Desire this morning and it will be telling the addiction story of 5 people so I'm thinking it should be very enjoyable as well as educational.

Meshuga and HE^MAN like this.
  19. encoupejas

encoupejas Fapstronaut

20. One book at a time. Always fiction, always fun. I'm not that deep.

TakingTheSteps and HE^MAN like this.