1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing Weight App

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Inloverber, May 10, 2021.

1. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

Hello!

Gathering your opinions on what app is the best for monitoring weight loss. Are you using one? I'm currently doing low carb as I find it easy rather than doing KETO. I also tried KETO but, really difficult. Will wait for your recommendations, thanks!

2. As with quitting PMO I'd imagine social support is key, are you looking for just a tool to track numbers or also something social where you can connect with other users? I haven't looked at them but for me I'd imagine it'd work a lot better if I can communicate with other people working on weight loss even if they're not on the same diet etc. I mean if it's social it could be as simple as a shared Google doc online with some other people having access to it for accountability.

BTW I think this could probably be in the Self Improvement section to get a few more people working on weight loss to look at it. I don't own a smart scale or anything but I haven't weighed myself in a long time so it's probably a good idea to check..

Inloverber likes this.
  3. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

Thanks for the input. Yes, I do agree also that connecting with people whose goal is to lose weight would really be helpful.

What I am actually asking is a good app or software that is used to see the progress in losing weight. One that is user-friendly and that would suggest options to take.

4. AnthonyAsher

AnthonyAsher Fapstronaut

Been using MyFitnessPal for a year now and it's great compared to the other weight loss app I've personally tried. The app helps me stay accountable by tracking calories and weekly workouts.

5. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

Is it free or I need to subscribe and pay? Are there also hidden charges? Is it also user friendly? I hope it is.

6. I use Cronometer. I think there is a small one time charge at first of like $3.00 then no other fees unless you want their Gold version. There a no hidden charges and I find it to be very user friendly. I also like Cronometer since their entries data is more accurate than MyFitnessPal which is full of messed up entries.

As for Low Carb vs Keto I think one should understand that Keto is low carb and low carb is Keto. Keto is any diet that severely restricts carbohydrate intake. So a diet that's low carb and high fat is Keto just like how a diet that is low carb and low fat is Keto. Most people, sadly approach Keto incorrectly thinking it means "high fat" and so you hear stupid things like "eat fat to burn fat" or you hear people doing things like dumping butter and mct oil in their coffee lol. Most people don't understand that if you're already a very fat person then you really just need to be low carb and limit dietary intake of fat as to force your body to utilize your fat reserves. Usually you will see people following a Keto protocol that was setup for epileptics when they should be following a protocol setup for weightloss or body building depending on their goals.

One of the best ketogenic resources I've found and followed has been from Ketogains. They're completely science bases approach and the founders Luis and Tyler both have tons of years of experience and are extremely knowledgeable. Here is a link to their FAQ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2021
  7. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

I'm about to start a Keto diet on Tuesday the first of June. Wish me luck @Inloverber! I'm going to use Martina Slajerova's app for 'macro' tracking; I like her book (The Beginner's Keto Diet Cookbook).

8. I m doing intuitive eating. The app that motivates me the most is Addidas Runtastic to collect data on my runs :)

9. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Myfitnesspal is free with ads - there is a premium version but ive never seen any particular good reason to upgrade. Its not just a calorie tracker you can set targets for protein/carb/fat each day depending on what diet plan you are following.

Food statistics are added by users, so they arent all super accurate, but once you have added all your favourite meals you can easily add them again from your saved list.

There is a social media aspect to it too, friends lists and challenges and a discussion forum, but ive not really used that part of it tbh.