1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the term "A Real Man" represent to you ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Xander_, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

The big guy from New York! I wish we had him in the uk!! God bless America

brassknucks and Ra's Al Ghul like this.
  2. There is no such thing as real men... It's always been an ideal, with a million definitions by millions of people.
    In my opinion everyone should do something meaningful that they are passionate about, do something responsible to help everyone connected to them uplift themselves, and do something creative in whatever way possible to better themselves and everyone else... Man, woman, students, professionals etc. doesn't matter. Everyone should do the things they need to do, with purpose, plan, dedication and consistency.

CarP and Toomuchh like this.
  3. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

[​IMG]
    Men who died so I could be alive today.

4. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

Don't get defensive it's just my viewpoint that you literally asked for. I didn't say you were the one insecure.

5. Christian Fox

Christian Fox Fapstronaut

One who may be afraid, but will not be stopped by fear.
    One who can cry, but can also get his stuff together and do what has to be done.
    One who is nice, entertaining and, well, gentlemanly, when he has leisure, but is fierce in battle, which he does not seek.
    One who knows God, who lives as though he saw the invisible.
    One who lives with integrity.
    One who is faithful, even if others may desert him.

The 'Real Man' existed exactly once in human history.

EDIT TO ADD: This is obviously important as well. And actually doable for normal mortals.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    brilliantidiot likes this.
  6. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

7. To be a real man doesn't make sense to me, we are all real men, some are better at some things, some at others. Some guys here think of real men as warrior-like guys, so what about Einstein, wasn't he a real man? Or Stephen Hopkins for that matter...
    If you are not charismatic that doesn't mean you're not a real man, what are you then? A failure of reality? Haha
    I'd rather ask what makes a good person.
    I work as a bartender and I'm tired of watching fake dudes with their serious faces walking like they are gorillas, you can notice from a mile away that they are insecure, to the point of faking their personality, not being themselves. And then you have guys who don't give a shit about looking tough and you can see how their mind is in a totally diferent place, producing ideas, talking about interesting topics, laughing... While the group of the gorillas are just thinking about their image, long-faced and looking at their phones.

8. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I don't see Tommy Shelby on this list.

Coolyorky likes this.
  9. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

Lmao!!!! You’re right hahaha

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  10. Masculinity alone doesn't make anyone great, I'd rather be a good man. Less emphasis on masculinity, more on acting generally in a good manner. I'd also like it way more if a person said: "He was a good man" than to say "He was a real man".

11. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

A man whom God's given DNA and mind hasn't been altered into something purely wicked.

12. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

One who make his own paths
    .....there is a sense of wrong and right in him
    And he is a bit rebel....
    And who protect the good

Xander_ likes this.
  13. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

14. People who talk about the macho, I admire the man who maintains his convictions no matter the cost.

Take my Pastor, a short Korean man, wears glasses, physically unimposing. But he is a devout Christian, who can command the attention of an entire room because of his presence. He lives the lifestyle rather than just preaching it.

I know many "manly men," especially the actors listed by many here, may be totally different in reality than their work in fiction. Some were actually assholes in real life. I like actors like say Mr. Roger's, who seemed to be the exact same person on and off stage. Mr. Roger's, all 145 pounds of him could command the attention of everyone around him.

Christian Fox likes this.
  15. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Your being the person Mr Rogers knew you could be.

16. alexandrebois

alexandrebois Fapstronaut

To become a man has multiple meaning
    It depends whether it's from a Women that says it or a Guy.

For a women being a Man is:
    1) Buying her expensives clothes
    2) Spending your money on her
    3) Give her the luxury life she wants
    4) Making her dreams come true

For Guys, being a man is:
    1) Having a Great physic
    2) Having a lot of Testosterone
    3) Having a Strong Personality
    4) Your words must be Heard and people should respect them.

For personal purpose being a man is:
    1) To be strong enough and to protect your Family and your loved ones. and to take care of your self and to try to have Muscles so people can feel your strenght.
    To be a man means to be as Strong as possible and the best version of your self

Hope i answered your question =)

17. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

18. Change5454

Change5454 Fapstronaut

Deal with shit without complaining I guess.

pancakebaker99 likes this.
  19. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Oh man I love this topic.

Let's set it straight right out of the gate. There IS a difference between being a good man and being good at being a man. Despite what others may say there is such thing as a 'real man' and people's lists of masculine characters are a hint of that.
    So we are talking about qualities that make us MEN, not good people as there would be no distinction between men and women and comes down to moral viewpoints, but we even call enemies and villains in stories real men.

So what is true to every man?

Strength. Unique to males physical but we are also more inclined to strive for it socially hence the dominance hierarchy.

Courage. What good is strength without the will to assert it, to take risks for your objectives where women are more likely to play it safer of use subterfuge (Not saying it's a bad thing, someone needs to take the beast of man)

Mastery. To become a master at something brings value not only to yourself but to other men in the tribe, we are intuitive and foward thinking by nature, and through mastery technology progressed in society. A society we men built. Could go deeper into the necessity of creation in life as a purpose but I'll leave it out. But men often greatly respect other men that are good at something besides the basics.

Honor. The honor not only between men of the same social pecking order but of those who are above you as well. There is a complete difference social dynamic between men and women as many may know, ours is bound by trust and shared experiences. Our reputation to other men matter as we rely on them for survival as well. Even an alpha can be killed by two beats that surprise attack him at the right moment.

That's my two cents! Now the way this LOOKS begins to shift as we move to modern society, with different masculine outlets becoming more and less available but that is essentially why some gym rat can be just as manly as einstein, they simply appeal to different masculine outlets based on what they're good at and unfortunately comes down to Gene's fitting into the niche society, leaving many men displaced and ostracized by society.

Anyways, Cheers!

Jag45 likes this.