1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Graphic Designers here, Need help.(Carrier)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Mr.Conquerer, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Mr.Conquerer

Mr.Conquerer Fapstronaut

I'm now in 12th class about to end school. My passion is to became a Graphic Designer and make a carrier in G.D / Animation. I'm from INDIA , and any Indian reading this will know the pressure on a science student (I'm a science St) to pursue Engineering. So any Indian or anyone plz guide what to do I'm confused ,what I should do . I don't want to waste my parents money.

2. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Why is there pressure on becoming an Engineer over there? I can imagine if a lot of people will become engineer, there will plenty of unemployment among Engineers.

Reminds me of similar problems in China. So many graduated students with high degrees in engineering and other high degree fields that they have to share a small flat with 5 people, all engineers etc.

Don't be that guy who only finished a study for the money and fame. In my opinion, it's about doing what you like doing, and preferably if you're actually good at it. Else you won't make it. But you should also consider the market. If there's no demand for graphic designers, you'll be in the same boat at those engineers.

Perhaps you can inform somewhere or do some research on the current/future job market.

By coincidence I also hold a graphics design degree, but I was never employed as a graphics designer due to personal circumstances. I'm not even sure if I would've been able to get a job in that field in the first place, considering the market is overly saturated, or at least where I'm from. There are more graphic designers than open positions here, and anyone proclaims and CAN proclaim himself to be a graphic designer these days under the title of 'freelancer'. Add to that the much cheaper work from 'overseas' (like in you area/Asia) which is often of no less quality.

With that said, if you're really confident about your skills you won't have problems finding work or job in GD. Like I said, online work like on 99designs, Fiverr, etc. will work well for you if you are skilled enough. I keep using the word 'skilled' because that's what ultimately pulls anyone through in any field to be able to come out on top.

If you do go the online freelance way, you've got a major head start on the freelancers in western countries, simply because living costs are much higher here. In other words, you charge about as much as anyone from western countries, provided you offer equal skills, and in the end have a big profit margin.

Do you have a portfolio built?

P.S. I hope I wasn't offensive about some stuff. I might have made some assumptions.

Nathan Harris, CarP and Mr.Conquerer like this.
  3. Mr.Conquerer

Mr.Conquerer Fapstronaut

Thank u very much for Ur words. I appreciate it.
    No brother I haven't yet built a portfolio, I am just an 18 yo guy with no work experience :p, but I'm confident on my skills.

Nathan Harris likes this.
  4. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

I once wanted to pursue creative writing.
    This taught me to pursue a vocation/degree that would aid me in getting a job.

Nothing wrong with pursuing a passion, but what happens when a passion becomes a job?

5. I'm a graphic and type designer / artistic director freelance, if you still have questions.

6. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

lol @Annedo you DO understand what's happening in this topic don't you? First the user AmeliaRobertson bumps this two year old topic for his buddy link spammer, which is Millattus who then posts a 'relevant' spam link in his 'comment'. I already reported the latter user.