1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Financial Independence

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by mrguy, Dec 24, 2020.

1. mrguy

mrguy Fapstronaut

Anyone here aware of the Financial Independence movement? Seems like a good topic for self-improvement.

I've been saving money for 2021 Roth IRA contribution.

CarP and blacklabel92 like this.
  2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

He is right though, you will always be dependent on something, even if that something is an apparently self-sustained source of passive income.

Also that definition is way too loose and not accurate at all...although I will grant is the most commonly used.

Roady likes this.
  3. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Oh man I know plenty of ways to make money outside of employment. I made money doing all kinds of stuff; from selling NES games to affiliate marketing to selling paintings door to door. Most of my experience is with online marketing though. Made plenty of money but it's all gone! Never had much patience to begin with, and due to past circumstances I'm not really able to finish any projects any more at all. Kind of a shame.

4. Given the debt-based nature of money at the minute, I don't know how long 'financial independence' will last for people reliant on things like a stockmarket portfolio. Material security isn't the same thing as a passive income stream. If any potential path to the kind of freedom you're looking for doesn't involve taking control of your life and working your arse off, I'd view it with suspicion.

CarP likes this.
  5. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Truth is you arent wrong, you'll still have to retain your knowledge regarding your own finances so you can keep dealing with things properly.

Roady likes this.
  6. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Nothing special. I just spent it all on h**kers and booze. Heheh, just kidding. I'm not sure where it went, but I just bought all kinds of stuff, I never really worked full-time so I guess it was more easily spent since you've got bills and stuff. I didn't make tons of money though, more in the tens of thousands throughout the years.

I think I made the most money when I was running an online affiliate marketing advertising campaign together with a friend of mine.

After those years I had problems with mental health and it all went to shit. I did make some money here and there afterwards but never managed to reach the full scope, ambition, and enthousiasm I had back then.

Roady likes this.
  7. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

financial indipendece is a business...but it's bette than going to church

8. After years of hustling I've gotten myself into the first level of financial freedom. I don't have enough to not have to work anymore but I'm debt free and could easily live for two years without employment and without any changes to my lifestyle.

I'm not so much interested in early retirement as I am interested in not having to deal with a shitty job or dickhead boss simply because I need the money.

Retention and ruso like this.
  9. Retention

Retention Fapstronaut

Spot on, congrats! I'm also debt-free but not as far like you are, but I'm supper happy for you. As someone that has worked ~12 jobs in 5 years and got fired after fired and not having any money for the next day, I feel you. BIG congrats!

Start to invest in something safe that you have control over (like real estate)

10. luckypenguin

luckypenguin New Fapstronaut

I worked for the boss for a long time. Now I have decided to quit my job and work for myself. I decided to open my own bakery. Now I'm thinking of a name and a logo. Then I need to develop a menu and event template flyer free. But for now, we have to start with a name. Any ideas? I want something warm and cozy. I believe that everything will work out!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  11. Retention

Retention Fapstronaut

My brain is fried at this hour but I would go with something that makes people think of family.
    Because this will be a bakery, your ideal customer (avatar) will be someone with a family