1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Narrow Gate

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.” Matthew 7:13–14
    Words from today's Gospel.
    My question thus:
    As men struggling with this vice, what does the narrow path(specifically for us)consist of?
    @CPilot ,@Mr Eko

SuccessInRebooting, zero0 and Keli like this.
  2. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I am not a theologian so my answer is an uneducated one but I hope it is helpful. Mr. Eko has spent a great deal more time studying and acquiring spiritual wisdom than I. I encourage you to listen to his words more than mine.

In general, men take the path of least resistance. Without wisdom, prayer and an earnest belief in eternal life provided by the Holy Trinity, a man will conclude that gratifying himself on earth is the best course of action. It is easy to see that a brain that is purely motivated by self comfort will choose to lead a life that is only focused on securing benefits for itself and thus behave more like an animal. This is the opposite of the narrow path.

The narrow path requires us to recognize we are not only carnal beings but also spiritual ones who are endowed with souls. Carnal minded men lack a spiritual sense and thus can see no need to nourish their souls. God is love and love is the nourishment our souls seek. The narrow path is a selfless one where true unconditional love is found and enjoyed.

Loving God the father, truly loving Him as a trusting child, would be hallmarked by obedience to Him. He has gifted us with the bible and most importantly the teachings of His Divine Son. So, we don't have to look any further than the teachings of Our Precious Lord to see what God's will is and what obedience to God means.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  3. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

Beautiful, thank you so much for these words of wisdom! May the Lord continue to increase His wisdom, knowledge and understanding in you for His Glory.

SuccessInRebooting, zero0 and Keli like this.
  4. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

The narrow path is in my opinion easy to notice. When we are on the narrow path we have some inner limits which we don't cross beyond. On the wide path we have no inner limits - we want to eat as much as we like, we want to have sex with as many women as it's possible, we want to have pleasure as much as it's possible etc. - no inner limits, no barriers. It's the consequence of the first sin in Eden. We people could everything except to eat from that one tree - this was the limit for us but we decided to break the limit and from that time we are prone to break any limits -this is the wide path because we search the most possible pleasure on the wide path. The narrow path is limiting our pleasure because the hunt after pleasure is destructive.

5. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

Wow, another beautiful explanation of the origins of our woes, thank you so much for the wonderful food for thought!
    God bless you!

6. So simply put, yet so on point.

Training for a marathon is hard, and few do it. Watching TV for hours on end is easy, and many do it.

Love is hard - it requires self-sacrifice. Lust is easy - it only requires self-indulgence.

Giving it to my addiction is easy -- I've literally carved deep and wide neurological pathways to take me there. To forge a new path of authentic love is going to take time and effort. Yet it's worth it. The radiant smile of saints tell us so.

Here's working for that radiant smile!

Pax

SuccessInRebooting, Reb10 and CPilot like this.
  7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

In my personal experience, it seems the inspiration I ask for daily, and receive, by praying for grace from the Holy Spirit is the answer to rerouting the insidious neural highways that I built in my brain through self-comfort.

Joseph of Miriam likes this.
  8. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

Thank you Father! To be honest you inspire me, I'm blessed to be amongst you all.
    Father please keep me in your prayers as I will in mine.
    May God bless and keep you!

9. Reb, be assured of my prayers! I am grateful to have found this awesome little group.

Onwards unto God!
    Pax