1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Journal of a new Christian

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. The last 3 weeks, since I submitted, and asked the Lord to come into my heart, accepting Jesus as my saviour, have been absolutely packed with awakenings, and I continue to be shown more by the day. I am indescribably grateful for this. My life will never be the same again.
    Every day I feel a little more able to genuinely declare the whole of my life as I have known it, as over, and give ALL of it to His direction.
    All of it until it gets to the fullest intensity of the enemy talking my mind to pmo, then I'm finding it the hardest to stay in focus.
    Everything else is changing. I am constantly challenged to question my integrity at work. My attitude towards others has a spotlight on it. I am unquestionably being shown, shown, shown.
    PMO will inevitably be broken, and at last, after over 50 years of addiction, I will find I have been clean for many days. I continue to soak up teachings and readings. It truly is a miracle, that out of apparently nowhere, Christ came and got me.
    I really hope it won't be long before I can successfully leave this vicious toxic addiction behind forever.
    Snacking has been drastically reduced, replaced by time with the Lord. Other distractions are reduced. My attitude towards others is improving. My self importance is beginning to reduce. I am filled with hope, suddenly finding myself part of the huge family.
    But I am still using P. and I LONG for it to be over. To be able to stay focused on the Lord when the worst times come.
    I'm just keeping on praying, reading, listening and learning.
    Wonderful sermon here :

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    vxlccm, GodsDaughter and Toni7 like this.
  2. Reading the book "Unwanted" by Jay Springer. Looks very helpful.

Toni7 likes this.
  3. vxlccm, Toni7 and ThisDayOnly like this.
  4. So the Freedom Process is a book?

5. The FREEdom process is excerpted from the book, More Than a Sunday Faith. More info at the link in my comment above.

ThisDayOnly likes this.
  6. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I too committed this sin for fully 50 years. It is still incredible to me to consider how may years that I wasted. So many years that I let this serious sin keep me at a distance from the Father. Your conversion to Christ is a fantastic blessing and it is the only door to heaven. Christ did not say, I am A door. He said, "I am THE door".

Please allow me to share a caution with you. When I analyze my many, many failed attempts at quitting this sin, I can see that every time, without exception, I fell prey to complacency. Complacency to my commitments of Daily heartfelt prayer and my commitment to immediately avert my eyes from any salacious images. Complacency to prayer was the most detrimental. I now know that I need the grace of the Holy Spirit to guide me to purity. Only recently have I realized that I need to seek this purity at least once every day as well as every time I feel tempted. Anything less is insufficient to keep me on track.

ThisDayOnly and Tao Jones like this.
  7. Thank you @CPilot for sharing that. I will take direction from your experience and wise advice. I know how easy it is to become complacent

vxlccm likes this.
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

May God bless you and your efforts to love Him more dearly today and everyday. I am praying for you, please pray for me.

9. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

Welcome to God's family, brother :D

I second the point on complacency. I'm at my weakest when I think I'm at my strongest. I live each day on the assumption I could give in the next, no matter how strong I feel.

I would add that, in my experience, this goes not only for fighting PMO but also more generally for keeping our faith in Jesus alive. I can't imagine I'd ever abandon my faith, but who knows what trials God will decide to throw at me - he uses these to test our hearts. And if we pull through, we come out stronger :D

"2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2

ThisDayOnly likes this.
  10. Oh I am so happy to "hear" the sharing voices of Christian brothers in recovery.
    I took this onboard and am very grateful. How obvious it seems in hindsight, that if I live in a way which involves continuous communication with our Lord, that prayer is something I need to be immersed in, since it is such a central part of that communication.
    Yet I was still "visiting" prayer; it still had a corner of my life.
    I found a great guide on different ways of praying (on prayerandpossibilities.com) and began to immerse in a morning practice of structured prayer, including praise, gratitude, airing of my current situations, confession, prayer for others and meditation (listening).
    I'm finding this sets the tone for better remaining in a prayerful state during the day.
    My current challenge remains in the evening, when it appears that I have exercised such a habit in my life of throwing the door open to the enemy, that I still become assailed, and suddenly experience resistance to the very act of prayer which kept me happy, alive, peaceful and purposeful through the day. So my challenge now is to establish an evening devotional time, to carry me through this more difficult time of day. I will pray for guidance and direction in this.
    I praise God with all my heart for the changes He is bringing about in me.
    Thank you @CPilot for your kind and inspiring sharing. I will most certainly include you in my prayers.
    I really appreciate your words @XandeXIV and how true this is! This morning I was reading in Proverbs 3:5-6.. Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    6 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

I am so trained in "leaning on my own understanding" along with having an overly high opinion of it!
    What a relief it is to give over my life to the Lord.. and how easily I slip back at times.
    I don't know if it is because I am young in Christ (though old in body!) and can still very much feel the hangover of my old life, but I have to say I am SO HAPPY in Christ.
    I feel I am looking back at a life lost in the desert, and am seeing it in people who live without faith. What a weight to carry!
    I am not 100% clear of pmo yet , but there is substantial change. The last 2 occasions when I was drawn into acting out, I was awake to how cold, and grim it all was, and worst of all, the wall it brought between me and God. Of course! Is not the definition of sin: that which separates me from God?! I stopped and walked away both times.
    Thank you thank you thank you Lord for your work in my heart.
    Thank you and bless you my brothers and sisters

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    vxlccm, Tao Jones and XandeXIV like this.
  11. I haven't posted here for a month, and what a month it has been. Gradually transitioning from the life steeped in sin, to the life of a Christian,is needless to say, not a "smooth" experience, but am amazing one. I feel that every day I have been taught something precious.
    I really need to share a difficult lesson I just received, though. A painful wake up call.
    On Saturday I was working at an event with a group of people. I arrived very tired, laden with frustrations in life (ie living "my" way) and just not in good shape.
    When speaking with a friend who visited the event, I got into airing some of my frustrations, including bad-mouthing the actions of a group member, who I then realised was sitting right behind me.
    The man I had criticised is a fine man with an excellent attitude.
    I was not sure if he had overheard me or not, but I was filled with shame.
    I feel certain that God arranged this to give me a much needed wake up call. I had asked for my heart to be remade, and it seems part of this is to be made aware of how rotten it has been until now.
    I feel sick to the core that I may have hurt such a generous man.
    I am grateful that I am not in complete denial about my actions though - a practice so typical of an addict sinner like me. Not this time.
    Somehow the awakening caused by this event; the recognition of how self inflated I have been, is touching my life in a broader way, including my life of acting out with pmo.
    Lord I am so grateful for you opening my eyes and setting me on a new path. I pray that this painful lesson will be an end to my arrogant judgement of others, and behaving as if I "am somebody."
    I pray for healing of what pain I may have caused another here.
    Amen

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    vxlccm and Tao Jones like this.
  12. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

You are clearly progressing well towards knowing Our Precious Lord more intimately. Stay the course, He is calling you to follow Him and showing you the path.

I have had many lessons like the one you describe. However, the hardest lessons seem to hold the greatest opportunities for improvement. In my humble opinion, I suggest you may want to apologize to this man. Given he is a good man, as you say, your apology will promote friendship and it will assuage your guilt.

I think as human beings we pulled down by our bodies but pulled up by our souls. Prayer seems to help us get in touch with our soul's desire to follow God more nearly and the absence of prayer seems to provide room for the body to succumb to the devil's temptations. Pray, Pray, Pray!

ThisDayOnly and Tao Jones like this.
  13. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Good to hear from you!

We've probably all been guilty of this. And, there's always more than one way to look at it. The recommendation to apologize seems sound. Also, a good man knows how to listen and may have seen some benefit from hearing your perspective, if he actually heard the things that were said.

I like your prayer a lot. You're doing this right :)

CPilot and ThisDayOnly like this.
  14. Thank you @CPilot and @vxlccm for your encouragement here. I did apologise to the guy, - I could not have done anything else, my heart was so heavy.
    I am grateful for this sign of conscience becoming stronger, perhaps, and for being led the right way.
    I'm still really struggling with evenings. I have been listening repeatedly to a very strong sermon on strongholds, and daily related bible readings with prayer. Life has definitely changed direction, and I am repeatedly returning to bring present (my first instruction from the Lord) and remembering that He does things through me; I am not the source. I have received clear help and direction, in handling (handing over) fears and attempts to gain attention or validation
    The relief is considerable. However, when the wave of fear comes in the evening, I have lacked the courage to trust God, and I have still acted out with pmo. I'm going to stay with it. It's one hurdle, but it's screwing up everything else. Gonna keep praying and keep learning.
    Thank you Lord for this forum, my brothers and sisters here, and the other many resources you have blessed me with.
    Amen

PS the strongholds sermon is a truly great one of anyone would like to watch it

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Tao Jones, vxlccm and CPilot like this.
  15. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal