1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Great ways of meeting new people.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Sign of the Times, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Sign of the Times

Sign of the Times Fapstronaut

Hey guys wondering what your thoughts might be on getting out and becoming more social. Have there been things that have worked well for you in the past? I am not a fan of social media and would therefore discount any electronic solutions! Basically, I guess, where are some good places to start looking? For context, I have recently transitioned from anxiety and am feeling much better about getting back into it. I am not a fan of the usual fare or conventions (read pubs and clubs) but more for the enriching and meaningful things with both genders. Thanks in advance. Cams.

P.S I am very aware of the open nature of this question and its subjective character. I am just curious to see what you guys are up to in your own lives and maybe I can glean something from that.

2. Amin

Amin Fapstronaut

It's been three weeks since I started morning running in a local but big park, It's great to watch how everyone -and you!- exercise instead of sleeping and you can feel happiness in the air, and its been a few times that I've seen this beautiful girl there and planning to ask her out, maybe you can find friends like this, if not you would 100% enjoy the experiment of morning exercise in public parks anyway! so try it!

The_doc likes this.
  3. n2kv

n2kv Fapstronaut

I was in the same situation when I first arrived in my current city, didn't know anybody. My advice (which worked great for me): take a class in something that you've always wanted to learn. It has so many advantages ! It keeps you busy, forces you to get out each week, and meeting people is super easy that way. For me it was rocknroll dancing class (yeah, I know what you're thinking, it was only to meet girls, but no I really wanted to learn how to dance ;) even if I met my ex-gf there...), and it was a HUGE step to go to the first class BY MYSELF. But I'm glad I did, I'd do it again anytime !
    Anyway, this is what I recommend from my experience, but I'd be very interested in what others have to say !

Cheers !

NewGrip and Sign of the Times like this.
  4. Yada91

Yada91 Fapstronaut

Yeah I myself overcame anxiety also. For me I moved, country. I got myself a job and started meeting people at work. Whilst I don't see Amy of them out of work, it gave me confidence to reach out to muay thai classes. Again once a week for me I get to talk to people about things we all have in common. I also think the martial arts helps self discipline and focus. Just small steps but it's a marathon not a Sprint.

5. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

I know that you said you are not a fan of social media and I'm not either, but I do use a site to find activities that I enjoy like: Hiking, biking, happy hours, etc.
    The site is meetup.com - Look at it, put in your zip code an interest and you will find lots of groups of people that meet for a few hours to enjoy things and company.

6. Sign of the Times

Sign of the Times Fapstronaut

Thanks heaps I will check it out

7. Temujin

Temujin Guest

I have been going to the local pub. However I've been turning up at the time when the staff often end their shifts. So I have been drinking and relaxing with the bar staff and waitresses.

I am also a quiet guy. But I find that if you are quiet and relaxed people treat you well. Especially if they have been dealing with loud clients all day.