1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of Buddhist school you associate with?

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

What kind of Buddhist are you?

1. Theravada

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Mahāyāna

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Vajrayana

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. None

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I just posted the main three schools in a poll for simplicity. But it would be awesome if you could also post below and specify a tradition within a school, if you feel like it. And what do you like about that particular tradition? Our Buddhist forum group has decent amount of members already and slowly growing, so it would be interesting to see what kind of flavors we have here.

Personally I would probably say that I am none. Because I just generally see myself as just a Buddhist first, and not so much as a type of Buddhist. Because I think it would limit me in terms of growth and development. I just take a lot from different traditions and apply what makes sense to me. But that being said, Theravada appeals to me a lot. One of the things why is probably because I find out it lays very straight forward and simple path to follow. Also Zen because of it's simplicity. But generally I would say I lean more towards Zen.

How about you? :)

Christoph108 likes this.
  2. Awakening123

Awakening123 Fapstronaut

Hey I am not really a Buddhist but been to a 2 month buddhist meditation retreat which I enjoyed. They practiced the Thervada tradition which is also popular among the westerners. I didnt know this group existed until today.

Christoph108 likes this.
  3. Endlessknight

Endlessknight Fapstronaut

I respect all the vehicles and very much enjoy learning about each of them but consider myself Theravada.

Christoph108 likes this.
  4. Beamer

Beamer Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

My Journal
    I'm also following Theravada ways :)
    I try to live a peaceful life by giving attention to:
    1./ Loving kindness (metta), like the love of a mother for her child, endless love and caring, always.
    2./ Compassion for others (and yourself) (karuna)
    3./ Being happy for other people's happiness (mudita)
    4./ Evenness of temper (upekkha), it's like watching your adult kids live their life without interfering, only support them if needed

I find great comfort in it :emoji_slight_smile:

5. Awakening123

Awakening123 Fapstronaut

How do you do Metta meditation? Can anyone who has done it for long time chip in? Thank you.

Christoph108 likes this.
  6. MeoG

MeoG Fapstronaut

I did Vipassana 10 day retreat 10 years ago. Was on and off with the practice since, but always have a thought at the back of my mind to get back. So it's Theravada. Believing that one should take care of themselves first before trying to help others (if cabin pressure changes, secure your mask first, before trying to assist others, yada, yada :))) ), therefore Mahayana feels as a bit of a stretch for me now. Also I live in a place where people mostly practicing Vajrayana, but that requires mind to mind transition with your guru, and I haven't met any gurus here that I'd find resonance with. So definitely Theravada.

jun007 and Christoph108 like this.
  7. I follow Vajrayana Buddhism and this is the school that I am committed to mostly. However, alongside that I learn Theravada and Zen to whenever I can. This is the cool thing about Buddhism, because you can learn from any school of Buddhism without breaking Refuge Vows.

Christoph108 likes this.
  8. Mahāyāna here. Soto Zen to be specific

Paranimmita and Christoph108 like this.
  9. webdevil81

webdevil81 Fapstronaut

I'm just getting into buddhism after finding my way from meditating on insight timer. Started reading 'Zen Mind, Beginners Mind' and am very much enjoying my spiritual renaissance.

10. RememberTheCant

RememberTheCant Fapstronaut

Theravada - Thai Forest - Ajahn Chah lineage.

I also like the teachings of Zen master Dogen very much.

Christoph108 likes this.
  11. Zori

Zori Fapstronaut

Same here. I'm appreciating all of the online teaching events recently.

12. webdevil81

webdevil81 Fapstronaut

I am kind of just starting my journey in all this, been reading 'Zen Mind Beginner's Mind' by Suzuki, I am just about to start 'The Way of Zen' by Alan Watts and after I have 'What the Buddha Taught' by Walpola Rahula. I'm also working through 'Intro to meditation' on the Tergar website with Mingyur Rinpoche and enjoying his style so far.

Any further suggestions on furthering my learning would be welcomely received.

13. webdevil81

webdevil81 Fapstronaut

Soto Zen is something I have been looking into as there are Soto Zen teaching in Brighton where I live.

Christoph108 likes this.
  14. fahpplebees

fahpplebees New Fapstronaut

Pre-Sectarian Buddhism, informed by scholarly work in the Early Buddhist Texts. I enjoy the works of Bhikkhu Analayo and Bhikkhu Sujato.

Christoph108 likes this.
  15. PeaceOnEarth108

PeaceOnEarth108 Fapstronaut

Amazing that there are so many schools and directions I've never heard of :)

Vajrayana, Karma Kagyu, Diamond Way Buddhism. My heart belongs to Karmapa and Ole Nydahl <3

Paranimmita likes this.
  16. jun007

jun007 Fapstronaut

I think I am Mahayana Buddhist, mostly attended temples founded by Master Sheng-yen. Previously also read books by Thai forest tradition. One of them is called small boat, big mountain. A lovely collection of teachings from both the Theravada tradition and Vajrayana tradition.

Christoph108 likes this.
  17. Theravada, Thai Forest Tradition.

Christoph108 and I'M DC like this.
  18. Cease2020

Cease2020 Fapstronaut

Theravada, new to Buddhism, no temple in my area. Amy tips for meetings and sessions online?

PeaceOnEarth108 likes this.
  19. jun007

jun007 Fapstronaut

I attended an online retreat led by Ajahn Sona last year. He’s based on Canada and studied in Ajahn Chah’s monastery in Thailand. His stuff on YouTube is good for beginners. Have a try.

PeaceOnEarth108 likes this.
  20. Teapot

Teapot Fapstronaut

A Soto Zen guy myself, so I clicked Mahayana. But reading Dogen, I'm never able to make any sense of his teaching without always keeping the 4 noble truths and the eightfold path in mind. Dogen also openly states that satori is not the goal of practice. "What is the goal then?" one might ask. As a good Zen master he is very nebulous with his Shikantaza, "just sit", "just practice without goal", but ultimately, the goal is attainment of nirvana of course, as far as I can tell.

So maybe it's just my character to seek a connection between things, but I feel like there can be no Zen (and maybe even no Mahayana) without Theravada. It's just more of a new perspective on the same teaching, than an actual break with old tradition. You can't really be "Mahayana-only". I find that the very basis (4 noble truths and eightfold path) has to be the same, or the teaching of Zen cannot be meaningful.