1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

There are some romances I like but in the case of Worf and Jadzia, it seems forced. Jadzia's transformation from meek and unsure of herself to domineering warrior princess is way more jarring upon this rewatch than it was the first time. In the case of Worf it just seems like he needed something to do once the Klingon war arc was done, cause if not for the romance he would barely do anything in most of the episodes.

Doing the same, but the other way around.

Yeah the image is from their first appearance in TNG. I agree the uniforms look dumb and the reason they changed is obviously because of that, not for any in-universe reason, but I still would have liked to see some acknowledgement of it. Even if it was just some reference to changing uniforms, or if in the flashback episodes some Cardassians in the background wore the old uniform, establishing they have both. Just something simple like that.

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Inquisition. The first appearance of perhaps DS9's most controversial element, Section 31. Personally I really like the idea and the episode itself is good, even if it plays out like a combination of The Drumhead and Future Imperfect.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

"At oh-eight-hundred hours, station time… the Romulan Empire formally declared war against the Dominion. They've already struck fifteen bases along the Cardassian border. So, this is a huge victory for the good guys! This may even be the turning point of the entire war! There's even a "Welcome to the Fight" party tonight in the wardroom!… So… I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning of all… I think I can live with it… And if I had to do it all over again… I would. Garak was right about one thing – a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it…Because I can live with it…I can live with it. Computer – erase that entire personal log."

What more needs to be said about this one?

Pugsley likes this.
  4. Ugh... I could not agree any more. I think their romance severely harmed both of their characters. Which was unfortunate because Worf went from the impulsive punching bag he was in TNG to more intelligent, badass, with a bit of a dorky, uptight streak. He was likable... then he got with that damn Trill. :\ Who is arguably the worst character in the show, mostly because, for me, I hate most of her episodes.

Still, she was better than her replacement.

AtomicTango likes this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I want to say I dont agree that Jadzia is the worst character (the worst main cast member at least) but honestly, every other main character is better than her so I guess she is by default. My issue with her is that her character doesnt progress, she's just a different character after the episode where she speaks to her past lives, like standing up to Curzon/Odo was enough to radically alter her personality. Compare this to say, Kira, a character who is annoying at the start, but transitions slowly over the course of seasons based on a logical progression of events.

I'll have to comment on Ezri when I get to her.

This did get me to thinking, who is the worst character in DS9 in general? With the other shows it's quite easy to pin it down, but with DS9 it's way harder. What do you think?

6. Hm... that is a tough one. Thing is, Jadzia, for me, is terrible when the spotlight is on her, but when she's on more of a side-role or has as much of the spotlight as other characters do in the episode, despite her poorly-done personality change, I liked the new personality. She was at her best after the personality change, but before she got with Worf and when the episode didn't focus on her. When these things happen, to me, she's funny and quite entertaining with memorable scenes (usually scenes of the humorous variety, like when she told Sisko she thought Spock was hot). But the worst character? I'm struggling to choose between her, Jake, or Keiko. I'll explain why tomorrow.

I did love Kira's character development, though. Heck, by the time the show was nearing its end, she became nicer to Quark, even. For good reason. Good character, all-around. Probably my favorite female character in all of Star Trek.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I honestly keep forgetting Jake is even in the show. I was on the verge of saying he's not even in the opening but he is lol. Thing is, there are no recurring DS9 characters that I dont like. So when I say one is "the worst" what I'm really saying is "the least good." I think for me it has to be Jake simply because he barely appears compared to other main cast members (I think there are more than 100 episode he is not in.) Keiko is annoying as hell but I dont hate her, and she is not terrible all the time.

Agreed. A major step up from the female characters in the previous shows.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley Fapstronaut

Love Q. But He didn't work on DS9. Glad he was a one and done. If only Voyager learned that lesson.

9. Warning, this might get a little long. :p

That's my main problem with him. He's so forgettable. He has the least presence and character out of all of them, in fact, I'm struggling to recall personality traits about him. And living in the time and society he does, out of all the professions he could've gone into, he chose to become a journalist. Of all things. His job is to pester people for information, which he does in the show. I'm not saying I need all Star Trek characters to have professions related to some kind of science in the show, Quark being a great example of this, but... a journalist? Really? I remember scenes of him annoying Odo, Kira, and Weyoun. Out of all his episodes, I only remember 4 he has a major role in. I don't recall their names, so bear with me. There's the episode where he's attacked by some kind of succubus-like alien, which I avoid for being an extremely average episode. The episode where Sisko suffers from some unusual accident and he keeps appearing and disappearing around Jake, who spends his life trying to save his dad. I both love and hate that episode since when I first watched it as a kid, it, uh... made me bawl. :emoji_joy::emoji_sweat_smile: Even now, I still can't even think about that episode without welling up. :emoji_laughing: Good episode, though. I just can't watch it. :p

The episode where Jake sees the effects of war first-hand. I don't remember it being terrible, but I can't think of anything about that episode I enjoy immensely. And finally, the Red Squad episode. Which I despise.

With Keiko, the only trait about her I remember is her overt and unnecessary, for lack of a better word, "bitchy" behavior. I understand that the creators of the show obviously wanted to include family themes into the show, but excluding Quark's family, did they have to make the family characters so... uninteresting? I barely remember O'Brien's kid, I can't even recall her name. Molly, I think? Keiko, I only remember liking when she was possessed by a pah-wraith... and it wasn't even her. :emoji_laughing: And maybe that one time Quark hit on her when he was under that influence that made everybody horny for each other. That was funny, I suppose. But I especially didn't like her when she kept trying to get O'Brien and Kira to spend time together when Kira was carrying their kid, to the point where O'Brien and Kira almost started an affair. It felt extremely unrealistic.

I don't hate Cassidy, though. I don't care about her in the slightest, she too is an extremely boring character, but nothing about her made me hate her. In the end, though... I can't decide. I dislike Jake and Keiko equally. To me, the show didn't need both characters and they could either use a serious re-write or just take them out the show entirely. Although... Keiko was acted decently.

EDIT: ...I keep forgetting about Ezri. Disregard everything. She's my number 1 pick. Unnecessary, bad actress, bad writing, unlikable, just... everything about her is awful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2021
  10. Like Troi? :emoji_joy:

11. Almost done with Enterprise, which I now have a changed opinion on. Truthfully, I kinda wish the show didn't get cancelled. It had... some stuff going for it. But afterwards, DS9 is next and I look forward to it immensely. :D

12. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Nice. Honestly my only two complaints about enterprise is the intro song and the whole xindi threat. The romance of T'pol and Trip started to get annoying after they went around and around and around before they finally just said fuck it lets go. I will say I loved Dr. Phlox, one of my favorite star trek characters.

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I kinda feel the same way about the mirror universe stuff in DS9. At first the concept was novel but as they did it again, and again, and again, it just turned into a vehicle for Nana Visitor to dress up and ham it up something fierce.

Hot take, but I don't like what they did with the mirror universe in general after TOS. I think a much more powerful concept would be have the Terran Empire be the ones who occupy Bajor in the alternate timeline, and have the entire premise of main DS9 inverted as a result. They really missed the opportunity to have the mirror Cardassians be much more benevolent and have mirror Dukat be some selfless military leader who is fighting to free Bajor from a tyrannical Sisko.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The episode you are thinking of is "The Visitor" and honestly it might be my favourite DS9 episode, it's at least high up there. But it isnt good because of Cirroc Loften, it's good because of the guy they got to play old Jake. In most regular episodes Jake feels like an afterthought, and because he's not in most of them, it's like he's not there at all. I mean sure the station is big, but it's not THAT big, where the hell is he when all this crazy stuff is happening on a daily basis?

I mean to be fair Molly is a child, how interesting do you expect her to be lol. As for Keiko, she's another character who doesnt appear often enough to cement herself as a character who matters. Sometimes it's easy to forget Miles even has a wife. He has a more intimate relationship with Bashir lmfao.

I like Cassidy. But again, she barely appears. I think the reason for that is she kept being too busy with other projects to appear on DS9. But that makes her arc progression super drawn out and disjointed. She gets sent to prison, comes back like a season later, is in one episode where she doesnt do anything, then vanishes for another season.

I understand that if they did what I'm about to suggest, it would make Kira the only woman in the main cast but damn, the host after Jadzia should have been a man. Would have been super interesting to see all the characters react to this, especially Sisko, who took a while to adapt to Jadzia in the first place.

I am sensing sarcasm?

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think ENT is really underrated. Is it as good as DS9 and TNG? No, but I also think a big reason people didn't like it is because of franchise fatigue at the time it came out, not its actual quality. The other shows took a while to find their feet, hitting their stride in seasons 3 ish, but for some reason people forgive those other shows but not ENT for being worse at the start. If ENT got 7 seasons it may have ended up being one of the best Trek shows imo, but it never got that chance.

gsherman100 likes this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

"Then who needs dinner? Why don't I get it over with and kiss you right now?"

[​IMG]

I don't care, I love this episode. It's so unfathomably cheesy but it's so satisfying to see Odo finally get what he's wanted for the entire show. The scene where they finally kiss is perfectly shot and the way everyone on the promenade just stops to watch is goofy as all hell but wonderful. What can I say, guess I'm a romantic at heart.

Mixolydian likes this.
  17. I rate it above Voyager personally. The story was much more engaging than Voyager- with the conflict between Vulcan and Andora, the Xindi and the overarching Temporal War theme. And it's sad we only got four seasons of Commander Shran.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'd need to rewatch both to see where I'd place it, but I remember Voyager having A LOT of filler episodes that really made it a slog at times. Tbh though, it's almost an unfair comparison. Voyager got the seven seasons to tell its story, we can only speculate on whether ENT would have been better or worse. Personally, I think the First Contact War, with the coalition of the four species fighting Romulans they never see, sounds cooler than what they did with the Borg in Voyager.

19. It's unfair in Voyager's favor since it got 7 seasons and Enterprise only 4. Which is all the more telling when I say I prefer Enterprise over Voyager. I don't remember much of the Voyager episodes I watched, and I watched all 7 seasons probably twice. I remember the characters more... which was the best part of the show imo. But with Enterprise a lot of the story stands out to me to this day. It was much more engaging and though the story telling was a bit rushed in season 4 when they were trying to tell a story they had scheduled over more than one season into one season, they did a good job to make it very engaging. One thing though... they should have just ended with the conclusion of the Xindi war. The episodes about the Nazi aliens and there much too rushed explanation about the beginnings of the Federation fell flat for me.

20. Agreed. I mean... at least he had that cool battle with Kira, though. :emoji_joy:

This isn't true at all. Numerous child characters in media can be very engaging characters. They're just less common because most adults don't know how to write them.

Exactly. How the hell did he end up having a far more engaging and entertaining relationship with his best friend than he did his wife. I guess from a writing perspective, it's easier since they both serve in Starfleet, but it's still unusual at the least.

That's my main issue with her. For me, it's hard to decide if I like the character or not because we barely get to know her. I get why she's part of the show, but I wish she was on it more.

That would've been hilarious to watch, considering it would've been extremely awkward for Worf. And a bit for Bashir too. :emoji_joy:

You are not. For me, she's one of the weaker female characters in the entire series. I wouldn't say she's the worst, though.