1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Detached

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Hiijustpassinthrough, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Hiijustpassinthrough

Hiijustpassinthrough Fapstronaut

Most of the time I feel really alone. In class I don't really know how to join in but I'm not sure I really want to. Its the strangest feeling always being on autopilot because I feel like I've lost myself. I am generally a naturally good conversationilst but this year I've just been feeling so detached from myself and I can't stop overthinking about the things that make me undesirable or unworthy. I don't want to constantly be operating on surface level interactions but I am so uncofortable being honest about how I really feel most of the time.

I just feel like I show so much more enthusiasm then others or my feelings of friendship aren't reciprocated. I just feel like I annoy people, people I thought saw me as their friend. I feel so insecure and its hard not to doubt myself when I feel like the people I value don't really value me despite me being their through all their ups and downs.

2. maserati23

maserati23 Fapstronaut

I feel the same way. Ive read somewhere that the way we perceive ourselves is nowhere close to what others see. People have their own things to worry about i guess..

3. fedecc

fedecc New Fapstronaut

I relate fully to the first parapgraph in your post, not so much to the second. In fact, in my case its the other way aroud, I rarely show any sort of enthusiasm or strong emotion.

I started to see therapist some weeks ago for the first time (I'm 37) and started to unravel how I I came to be, like you said, so detached. In my case, I figured I developed in my teen years a very insecure personality and a great fear of ridicule (even though I was never bullied or anything like that). I became extremely self-consious and was alwasy overthinking how people would persive me. For example, I would never ask to join any event, like a party, sport or just to hang out with friends, even when I was dying to participate and knew I would be accepted. I still had to wait to be invited, that way I knew for sure they wanted me there.

So my way of dealing with this insecurity was to aisolate myself and avoid any more intimate relationships, whether romantic or platonic. I am good at superficial interactions and conversation, and do just enough social activities not to be a complete pariah, but I never developed any deeper attachment to anyone. No that I am older, I started to feel the need of intimacy a lot more, but even when I try to connect with people when hangin out, going on dates, etc. I struggle to feel anything at all.

I feel like I've been detached and by myself for too long, and now trying to connect with people is like trying to move a muscle you don't have, I just can't...

I infer you are a younger guy, as you mentioned going to class. My advice to you is not to isolate, mentally I mean, don't detach yourself for too long. Try to work in being more open with yourself and with others. Go to a therapist if you feel stuck, even if its just to talk about this. :)

Gina3111 likes this.
  4. Points for honesty. Are you just looking to feel heard or do you want advice?

Hiijustpassinthrough likes this.
  5. Hiijustpassinthrough

Yeah that is true. I want to learn to be less wrapped up in other peoples perceptions. Thanks for the reply.

6. Hiijustpassinthrough

Hii. Hmm its more so to be heard but advice would be nice. Thanks! My profile didn't notify me someone had replied. Sorry for the late replies guys.

Buddhism Is True likes this.
  7. People shape their actions with questions. Questions like "why don't people like me?" don't tend to create the sorts of shapes we want. A better question is "What do I need in order to be happy?" or "What is it that I actually want?" You don't have to answer these questions, exactly. It's more that you need to let them motivate your actions. Other useful questions: "What do I actually think is fun?" and "What do I want from other people?"

Have you ever tried to think in these terms? What are the questions that are shaping your life lately?