1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My Farewell Letter to PMO

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Hammond Egger, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger Fapstronaut

Dear PMO,

My journey with you started when I was around 10 years old. As a child, I had a very difficult life. My father used to belittle me, verbally abuse me, threaten me and terrify me every time he would come home. I remember hearing the door open when he came home from work and my little heart would start beating so fast. I was so scared. My mother was kind to me, but she never protected me from my dad. She never got in his way and stood up to him. I had no comfort, no safe zone, no love, no warm and loving arms to hold me and tell me its going to be okay.

My childhood taught me that people should never be trusted. If my own father treated me so badly, how can I trust others to treat me better? I became the loneliest little boy in the world. As a result, in search for love and comfort, I turned to you PMO. I discovered you when I was most vulnerable, and I became hooked to you. Every time I PMO'd, I felt loved, safe and wanted. You numbed all my loneliness, sadness and fear. You became my safe zone.

After years and years of using you to stop the pain, I started to hide myself away from the world. "I don't need anyone," I said to myself. I had no true friends, no love, no genuine relationships. This is when I started to realize that you were only a temporary bandaid to my problems, but PMO, you eventually made my life much worse. For you see, now I know that sadness, depression, loneliness and heartbreak are not emotions we should run away from. Because we can never experience the opposite (love, happiness, peace and joy) if we numb ourselves from our emotions. Emotions are what make us human. I became a robot. I was numb. I couldn't feel anything anymore.

What I learned was that you eventually made me much lonelier than I once was when I was a child. I became extremely alienated from the world, and that which I needed most was further away from me because of you, namely love. PMO, you kept me away from experiencing true love and joy. Now I know that you tricked and deceived me into thinking I needed you. The more I used you, the more lonely I became.

When I started to practice nofap, I began to understand how much better my life is without you. I became more confident, experienced more happiness, made new friends, and attracted some beautiful babes into my life. Yes, I must admit you made me feel good temporarily, but the more I used you, the less you worked for me. The lows became more frequent and the highs became almost non-existent. You tried filling the void within me, but you were unsuccessful. I need real connection. I need true love.

Now I know that I don't need you anymore PMO. I will be much happier without you. Now that I'm leaving you, I can already imagine myself with a lovely, beautiful wife in my arms and a precious daughter who's going to be my everything. I'm going to love that little girl so damn much. I'm going to experience so much love in my life. It's time to part ways PMO. Thank you for trying to comfort me when I was a child, but now it's time for me to experience real love and connection.

Goodbye and farewell PMO.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    JoeinMD, AversioN, Intonator and 20 others like this.
  2. breaking-myths

breaking-myths Fapstronaut

Oh man you write so beautifully.

3. Hammond Egger

Thank you my friend.

4. Epic.

Try Interlude5 and Coak Hakola like this.
  5. iamShinra

iamShinra Fapstronaut

6. HelperX

HelperX Fapstronaut

Sorry about your struggle during your childhood and beautiful words regarding your exit from PMO. Good luck in life dude. :)

Try Interlude5 and Coak Hakola like this.
  7. Hammond Egger

Thank you brother!

HelperX and Try Interlude5 like this.
  8. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

It's a wonderful letter - a great start.

Just a thought for down the road if you ever feel inclined to do so, Did you ever consider writing a letter to your father, even if it's a letter you never deliver. In there you can express your hurt, how you were affected, and how you'll never treat you own child that way, one day. And, if you're really open to it, you could even tell your father that you forgive him - not for the purpose of excusing his behavior, but for the purpose of untying yourself from him and from your past. You no longer want your father's baggage as your own - you are separate from him now, and he perhaps had his own existence of self-hatred to have treated others, especially you, that way. Maybe that's how his father treated him? You of all people, as an adult now, can understand what that can do to a person, even if you were not able to understand such things as a child. It could be a very therapeutic process for you in writing such a letter, bringing self-healing to the very wound that opened you up to PMO, a secondary affliction. Another thought it to compose a letter to your mother, as well.

Best wishes!

9. Hammond Egger

This is a beautiful suggestion brother, I will definitely be doing this in the days to come but I feel like it will be very difficult for me. It's going to force me to relive a little of the things he did to me and it will definately be an emotional letter, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Same goes for my mother. Although she was great to me, she never defended me against my father which hurt me very badly as well. Thank you for the advice!

10. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Yes, it's meant to re-live the pain - to feel and sit with the memories, shed some tears even, and pray to God, possibly. It's a very intense spiritual exercise. Often addictions are escapes from things we don't want to face or feel anymore. You've already demonstrated that you can look at the hurt from your first letter - now enter into the wounded feelings and let them go, even as you're letting addiction go. This may not be a one shot deal, but it's a great beginning. Perhaps you should even be in a special, secluded space when you write and reflect on this letter. Yes, you also will likewise acknowledge - in a separate letter and at a separate time - the ways your mother failed you even though she was good and loving in every other way.

11. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Another strategy for anyone wanting to revisit their past and introspect and heal from within - and remembering not just all the sorrows but all the joys and fortunate times, too, is to do a life review. And, by this, I mean to drive, if possible, to one's first childhood home (whatever that looks like), assuming one does not still live there. Park in the street, and think about what happened to you from ages 0 to 5 yo, what you were told, perhaps the earliest memory or memories you have, and reflect on what life was like. Then, one can drive to the second home where one's family moved to next (or whatever that looks like) and reflect on the same sorts of things - one's relationship with each parent, siblings, neighborhood friends, etc., and so on to the next house, if there was another. Also, in the process of doing this, one can revisit one's primary elementary school (even if just parked in the parking lot or walk around the building if possible), then to one's middle school, then, hight school, even college, etc. Engage each location as close as possible (remotely parking at a minimum, or walking around the place as possible and preferred). One does the same sort of reflection - what was life like - what memories were joyful, what was painful. What were friendships and relationships like. One can also visit other significant places: places of worship, athletic fields, libraries, amusement areas, parks, landmarks - whatever was significant to one's life. Laugh, cry, feel joy, feel pain, feel the love, feel the hate, remember the bullies, remember the trusted fried - that kind of thing. Allow yourself to feel it all - and hold it all as sacred, because it is what you experienced - and you yourself are sacred to God. Offer forgiveness with tears, if you can to those who mistreated you, etc. Write a letter if you feel inclined. Let is all go. Now, of course, if one's earliest homestead is too far off to drive to, one can pick a symbolic place to represent it for the reflection - a local landmark, or a house that resembled the first home, etc. The same with other places and institutions. The exercise is to reflect on our life and family and friends (and enemies) as we lived it from age 0 to our present age, etc. It's a very powerful and amazing retreat and exercise to do alone sometime - take a day that you have free, where you also have some privacy and solitude to yourself, and treat yourself to such a life review. Report back here, if you can, with your experience.

Coak Hakola likes this.
  12. eternal fanatic

eternal fanatic Fapstronaut

Awesome - you are a really good writer! This almost had me in tears. I think we all have goodbye letters we need to write to PMO. I'm not quite ready--I still have a long road ahead of me, but I look forward to the day. Thanks for your motivational words.

Coak Hakola likes this.
  13. oe123

oe123 Fapstronaut

You are a true inspiration to us all brother. Even after your tough childhood, your determination to better yourself and to beat PMO is motivation to myself and others on this journey of leaving PMO behind.

Coak Hakola likes this.
  14. Hammond Egger