1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is too much to share when telling my fiance about my addiction?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by puravida.21, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Psalm27:1my light

Psalm27:1my light Fapstronaut

Never claimed to be perfect, but I think it’s common sense that getting married too young is not the best chance at success. I do think it’s far smarter to have yourself some what together ie college graduate or career in place before you embark on trying life with another person. I’m not saying it’s the the only way, just betters your chances of success. That being said both my sisters got married at 18 right out of high school and one is still married one (45 yrs) and one divorced.

2. Soldado_De_Dios

Soldado_De_Dios Fapstronaut

i'm no 18 yr old kid either by any means.....sry

3. She was not claiming to be perfect, nor was that her point. She's simply sharing her experiences and opinion as someone who's been through this. No need to be so rude.

Sam-wise likes this.
  4. Soldado_De_Dios

Puro Cariño!

5. Psalm27:1my light

We dated 5 years

6. Psalm27:1my light

Together 35- dated 5 married 30. How does that not add up ? He had a past, maybe not as colorful as a 30 ye old but he definitely had a past at 19

7. Psalm27:1my light

I’ve been with him 35 years that’s exactly what I stated. Married 30, my gosh do u really think the 5 years “ not married” wasnt time invested in the relationship?

8. What she said does add up, and it's true. Are you here to participate in a civilized exchange about the topic, or are you here to nitpick and create conflict which takes it off topic?

9. Soldado_De_Dios

Yea....Don't...you might make him cry

10. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

You tell her exactly what you have listed here and then you tell her as much as she wants to know after that. If she wants to know everything you tell her everything, and I mean everything. Otherwise you are lying to her.

hope4healing likes this.
  11. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

You sound very bitter. Many marriages last decades and many, if not most, of them are very happy. I have been married 2 1/2 decades. We have had some issues and when the addiction came to light it was rocky for a few years, but he has been in recovery for a number of years now and we are happy together. There's no reason to project your misery onto others. Marriages can and do last happily, even with addiction as long as the addict is committed to recovery.

hope4healing likes this.
  12. I have been around here for a long time, and I have seen that the "climate" is actually quite respectful of everyone most of the time. With the exception of an occasional post by someone who would rather stir up trouble than to offer something helpful, there is a lot of good information and support for each other.

Stating how long you've been married is not about "boasting." It's about giving a little background information about yourself to help validate that you might know what you're talking about. Obviously, someone who's been married for 20-30 years or more might know a little more about marriage than someone who's never been married or even been in a relationship. It isn't necessary to take every statement that someone says as some sort of challenge or an attempt to 'one-up' someone else.

I haven't seen any examples of husband-bashing here. However, sometimes we state facts about things that have happened or choices that were made by an addict that were harmful to others, and if you take that as husband-bashing, then I guess you have a long way to go in recovery. Everyone here has a right to share their experiences and the way they feel about them. If you choose to take that personally or internalize it out of shame, then that's on you, but it doesn't give you the right to nit-pick them or criticize them as if they're in the wrong for sharing their side.

If you believe that then why are you here? To spread around your misery amongst people who are actually trying to better themselves? And, again, you have a lot to learn if you believe that this forum, where people are mostly helpful and supportive to each other, is a reason people are addicted to P. I doubt that one single person could honestly say that the "climate" here is perpetuating their problem.

Give me one example of how NoFap fits the definition of a hate group.

13. iamShinra

iamShinra Fapstronaut