1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you afraid to die?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by TheWigglesSentToSpace, Aug 17, 2021.

1. TheWigglesSentToSpace

TheWigglesSentToSpace Fapstronaut

Or are you not scared of death at all?

If you are afraid: what do you think you fear more: the complete mystery of what lies beyond death, or the suffering that precedes death.

For me I think the big thing is the suffering. I am quite a wimp when it comes to pain. And I'm really not looking forward to all the pain and little indignities and stuff that precedes dying. If it weren't for that I would look forward to death. I'm super interested to discover what lies beyond it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    CarP and Mr.Tony like this.
  2. I'm afraid of both, it's the biggest taboo topic I try to avoid when living my life, otherwise I would go crazy

3. Nope. Not afraid of something that is inevitable.
    I think what was before our birth will be after death. We don't remember the eons that have passed before you and I were born. So, we won't feel anything for the eons in the distant future. It's going to be epic going back to that stage.

GotCaught likes this.
  4. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I am quite scared of death.

TheWigglesSentToSpace likes this.
  5. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

Of course, I'm afraid to die knowing I'll leave my family behind. But, I'll rather die than turning into a zombie in the future.

6. sometimes, most of the time I'm kinda in-between, like I don't fear it but I'm also not exactly looking foward to dying any moment
    I'm just scared of dying of something like cancer or dementia, that doesn't sound fun

TheWigglesSentToSpace likes this.
  7. Blessedby TheMostHigh

Blessedby TheMostHigh Fapstronaut

I don’t want to die, but I’m not afraid to. I know I will be going to a much better place than this world ran by Satan.

vikingsarehere and gordie like this.
  8. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

No, we are so small in the wide universe. But im trying to use best my time left and get good religion points

Stulcifer likes this.
  9. TheWigglesSentToSpace

It's interesting it's a taboo subject, isn't it. Why is that? It's something that we are all going to have to do. Ignoring it won't prevent it.

10. TheWigglesSentToSpace

Hmm, do you think there will be any kind of experience at that stage?

11. mukmewx

mukmewx Fapstronaut

I am extremely afraid of death, it's the mystery of it all, and as I get older the more scared I have become. I have no religion, so I believe that nothing happens when you die, you're just gone, and the world keeps on going as if you never existed. It's so terrifying to me, so unbelievably terrifying. I am actually obsessed with it, I think about it way too often, and I don't know how to stop this fear. I am also absolutely terrified of my last grandparent dying, she's 81 and I hope everyday she makes it 100.

CarP likes this.
  12. TheWigglesSentToSpace

Thank you for your heartfelt answer mukmewx. Yeah, sometimes I'm glibe and say I'm not scared, I am even looking forward to it.... but I think I'm probably just kidding myself. When it comes down to it, when I'm looking death in the face, I think I will be scared too. The potential to lose the most precious thing we have, our experience and our consciousness, is terrible. And we have no reassurances, no one has ever come back from death to tell us what it's like.

Consider this however: consciousness is energy, we experience it as energy. And energy is conserved according to natural laws. So won't our consciousness be transformed into something else at the moment of death. I'm not saying we will maintain our unique identities, but at the very least we should become a basic part of the energy patterns of this world. I don't know if this is the case, but doesn't seem so bad to me.

We also have to ask ourselves which is fundamental: matter or consciousness?. Science tells us matter is the base of existence. But what if it's the opposite and consciousness is the base of existence. After all consciousness has a real effect on the natural world- it is consciousness that determines the position of a quantum particle. Also consider you own experience: in your experience does anything happen outside of your awareness of it? Is there anything outside your consciousness? Try and experiment. Listen to a noise in your room or outside your window, a bird, cars driving by, people talking next door. Then focus on on the feeling behind your eyes, something which is inside your body; even a though like "This is stupid" lol. Go back between the feeling or thought and the sound. Did you find a boundary where "you" started and "the world" began. Is there any fundamental difference between the sound and the feeling? No. There is no boundary, they are both happening in the same field of awareness, the same field in which you are happening. And I submit to you that that field of awareness is beyond destruction, decay, and harm. That is who you really are.

That's just my take on things however. Feel free to take it or leave it if it doesn't feel right to you. Not trying to convince you of anything, just asking- and this is something I think we can all benefit from- to explore these questions through your own experience of being alive. And come to your own conclusions.

mukmewx likes this.
  13. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I'm already dead, just enjoying this tripping experience people call life before returning back home.
    That said, I would be a liar and a fool if I said that I don't mind when this experience will come to an end, the later the better, so many things to try in this awesome place.

mukmewx and CarP like this.
  14. I don't know, but if I were to guess, I would guess on all experience ceasing with my last breath. It'll be nothing, for eternity. To me it represents eternal peace and rest. So I will be looking forward to it, when the time comes.

mukmewx likes this.
  15. Like idc if i die i die right , i dont think about the pain
    But like being younger and thinking of dying at the shit that life offer . These thoughts have changes
    Now i see the big picture and realise the hardship my mother and father would have to go through after if i am gone . So i dontwant to die but still if i die , I die np question asked .

mukmewx and CarP like this.
  16. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I am not scared of death in the slightest, bring it on. I am scared to live!

palindromo likes this.
  18. mukmewx

mukmewx Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for this! It has brought me some peace, it's a nice way to think about it. I love the consciousness is energy part, this is why I'm an organ donor. I find peace in thinking that my body could be used to help and save others, and if my organ are too old to be of any use, well that's even better. At the risk of sounding pathetic, you really touched me with this post, I really appreciate it. I'm going to have to read it several times to fully understand in the second part and try it out, thanks again!

P.S. It doesn't seem so bad to me either as long as I live on in some way, I'm in a better state of mind about death then I was.

19. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

I don't fear death, and to some extend I do want to avoid pain before death but still it is manageable, afterall it won't last forever. Pain is just a small price for salvation. The only thing that worries me is that there is no guarantee that you will die, what if suicide attempt fails, it might leave you alive in a useless body, simply increasing your suffering. I fear from a failed suicide attempt, or else I would had ended myself long before.