1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't you think having dementia or Alzheimer's is like being enlightened?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by TheWigglesSentToSpace, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Honestly... I think you're heavily invested in this concept of being enlightened. Because while what you wrote sounds really beautiful...
    People tend to be nicer when they're out of their mind.
    As much as people can become angry and disconcerted when they have dementia... I'm sure they can also become more "positive" or "nicer." And yet the same can be said about people who are drunk or high.
    And it would be nice to say that when I smoke weed I'm unplugged from the matrix and I'm "tapping into a higher level of consciousness"...
    At the end of the day I'm just high.

It's unfortunate that it has to take being out of one's mind for some people (like myself) to be more overall pleasant people... but on the flipside she could have become worse. And if that were the case— would you be on here talking about enlightenment?

vikingsarehere likes this.
  2. TheWigglesSentToSpace

TheWigglesSentToSpace Fapstronaut

I think it's a bit of a condemnation of our culture when you consider, as you said, that people are nicer when out of their minds. Maybe we all are out of our minds already we just think we are sane because it's an illness we all share.

It's true she could have become worse. Not denying it, though I have no personal experience with angry people with dementia. And no if she had stayed angry or got angrier I wouldn't have made this thread. But I think that dementia approximates enlightenment to an extent that makes it easier for people to open up to it if they are open to it. As you said, sometimes it takes a disaster to become a more pleasant person and dementia is a personal disaster that can do that. It all depends on how you respond to it.