1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have a toxic parent?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 3, 2021.

1. A parent who you wish happiness for but often prefers to act miserable. Why would a person want to act miserable? It's a holiday weekend and I wanted to take my elder, disabled parent to the beach but I call and she's weirdly miserable talking about rain from days ago and bringing up negative stories from the news and says she doesn't want to go to the beach. All summer we've been discussing going to the beach.

It just sucks to want to help a parent and wanting that parent to be happy and frequently you see the person prefers to be miserable. I can enjoy the holiday weekend by myself but it just hurts. :( Why would a parent want to be miserable and why do miserable people always want to make others miserable?

Chefb87, Tafi, CarP and 1 other person like this.
  2. I know dealing with someone who is toxic is draining to say the least. I am not a doctor but your parent sounds depressed , its good that you try to help them but in the end they have to help themsevels. I see you noted that they were disabled that can really take alot out of person it effects the persons mood not having the control they once had over things they used to do upsets them. I have had family and that would argue about going somewere if you told them in advance the best thing i found was to just show up at there house and say were going here there were ever .
    Hope it helps

3. You're right, I will keep trying. It is indeed draining, I was happy before I talked to her. I know our parents are human beings and have their own lives but their negative vibes sure can rub off on us when they decide to act miserable. It can be draining but there are good times too. It just hurts so differently when it's a parent acting miserable, really affects me, even though she's hundreds of miles away.

4. Tafi

Tafi Fapstronaut

I have the same thing,and I have joined a group in FB for people who suffer from a toxic parent,if you want to join too and find more people can understand your feeling and feel that you in the right place,you can join to us,https://www.facebook.com/groups/1736978839924820,that's the link of the group

Gina3111 likes this.
  5. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I don't think you know what a toxic parent is.

To answer your question, no one wants to act miserable. Clearly your parent is depressed. This might be a situational or reactive depression or it may be a clinical depression. What they need is your unconditional love and empathy I suggest.

6. Facebook groups are great! I probably used to be a member of that group. I’m trying to stay off most social media but might look into it again! Thanks for sharing

Tafi likes this.
  7. Thanks and I know you are right!

8. So What is toxic?

9. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

10. My dad is the toxic parent. Always miserable, hates his job, addicted to the news. He was also very stern and strict when I was growing up.

My mom is the total opposite. She’s nice and caring. But she will put her foot down when I’m rude or get in trouble.

Leaving my parents house was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I don’t need all that negativity and drama in my life.

Tafi, Chamel and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Lizards Mousqette

Lizards Mousqette Fapstronaut

Sorry to hear that, Gina. People have a rough shake in their 60s and 70s from my experience. I know it’s hard but I am learning myself to be more patient and kind with them.

Chamel and Gina3111 like this.
  12. Yes, people have told me that Patience is the key!

13. Well, i think she is acting miserable because she may has a problem she did not threat before, so she might neglected it and it rooted. I once experienced it. And about someone wanting another to being like such, might be because she wants someone who agrees and accepts the thought. Well, i do not follow the news everyday, so i do not know much of the problems of another communities, countries, etc. I think so much information is useless and unnecessary for survival.

Gina3111_marriedToGod likes this.
  14. If i had childrens, i would give them the best, not let them be fooled by the world. This is my opinion if i were a father, i would not let my kids being negatively influenced.

Gina3111_marriedToGod likes this.
  15. I think a toxic person is someone who we try to talk in a reasonable way, although they do not seem to care about and start to argue.

Gina3111 likes this.
  16. Yes :(

17. How do you face it with your parent, i mean what do you do when you receive such commentaries?

18. Answering your main question, yes i have one. My mom wants me safe, so she sometimes do not agree with my opinions, she tries to convince myself not to do what i figure out. In the other hand my dad does not care much, he agrees, talks about good possibilities.

19. Do you think she believes that her behavior is miserable?

20. Lizards Mousqette

Lizards Mousqette Fapstronaut

@Gina3111 Have you thought about helping your parent get into therapy? I had a mentally ill and drug addicted parent. Later in life he got professional therapy, specifically DBT, and he's like a new man. Might be a conversation worth having.

Gina3111 likes this.