1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone got their own tips on fixing a sleep pattern?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mr Rn, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Mr Rn

Mr Rn Fapstronaut

I woke up at 11 today, then wasn't bothered to get up so I slept for another 3 hours. Woke up after feeling very non refreshed considering the extra hours I had slept. I also picked up my phone first thing then ended up in a youtube cycle, only to get up an hour later and have a tiny breakfast. Yes this was absolutely the worst structure of a morning. I've had enough and now I want to try and fix this habit

Heres what I know myself but haven't been practicing:

- Having something to look forward to that is in line with your goals- could be work/ a task/ something productive

- ...Sleep early

- Less screen time before bed - lower brightness of your monitor to help

- set one alarm instead of multiple that you snooze, get up on the first one.

- Get up fast and go to the toilet before reaching for anything - splash your face with cold water

Any other tips?

2. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

3. EpsilonDelta

EpsilonDelta Fapstronaut

Do you have some sense of purpose in life? It could be studies, a job, a hobby or something else I guess. I am pretty much "forced" to go up at 5.45 every weekday due to my job so the advice from @FirefromAbove might not be so bad actually :)

4. FirefromAbove

I have to wake up at 5 am every (almost) day. It keeps me aware of my time and what I do the night before.

5. EpsilonDelta

EpsilonDelta Fapstronaut

Exactly, you realise that you also need to go to bed a certain hour, otherwise it gets painful the next day :D

I'm thinking about starting to wake up earlier, at 5 am as well, to maybe do some physical exercise and/or meditation but it's challenging to go to bed 45 minutes earlier and I think I really need the sleep right now due to my reboot.

FirefromAbove likes this.
  6. FirefromAbove

Take the sleep where you can get it lol.

EpsilonDelta likes this.
  7. Mr Rn

Mr Rn Fapstronaut

I'm a university student, haven't been able to find a job this summer, and I've just had so much time on my hands that I haven't put to good use. Once the term starts again I'll be forced to wake up early

8. Mr Rn

Mr Rn Fapstronaut

Can't imagine waking up that early almost every day. What time do you wake up on weekends?

9. FirefromAbove

Like 9 unless i wanna sleep in

10. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

If you have woke up really late in the day and then later aren't even tired by the middle of the night, early hours of the morning. Don't sleep, fight the tiredness and stay up. Then by the time it gets to night time you will sleep solid and wake up early the next day.

Don't leave your alarm next to your bed. Sit your alarm at the other end of the room, so you need to get up out your bed to turn it off.

11. UncleBarnacle

UncleBarnacle Fapstronaut

There is something to this.

12. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

these tips worked wonders on my overall quality of sleep:

Do you drink caffeine? it's a sleep killer and should be avoided.

Do you get sun exposure during the day? this really helps in getting your sleep cycle back to normal.

Do you have any kind of activity during day time? When I used to go to the gym I used to sleep like a king everyday.

How much do you eat at night? you realize that you burn less fat during night time than you do in the morning? Night snacks keep your body up and running, so try to eat less during night time.

Do you read books? Strangely enough, many people found they're able to sleep better when reading a book before going to bed, rather than using their phones. (it really works, tried it many times myself)

How old is your mattress? maybe it's time to get a new comfy one to help you sleep better!

is your pillow just cotton? maybe your head is big and heats up fast like mine, try a more fancy memory foam, they're cool and soft and they're most suitable for my big head

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Uni_boy22 and Mr Rn like this.
  13. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

There is so much more to sleep, a really interesting book about it is:

Why We Sleep? by Matthew Walker

it has valuable tips about why many struggle with sleep disorder, and how one can possibly treat without the need for any kind of sleep drugs.

Mr Rn likes this.
  14. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

Didn't really see anyone mention it except the one mention about late night eating, but what helps me the most actually is fasting from sunset and not eating until the time I'd want to wake up. This is how people brush off jet lag when they're flying across time zones, I won't get into the science but this basically has to do with how our circadian rhythm works. And waking up tired is usually easier than going to sleep at night after sleeping all day(recall all the mornings you didn't wanna wake up for school vs the nights you managed to go to sleep when your body didn't want to), so if you do start to sleep during the day try to force yourself out of bed before noon and do something out of bed for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes you want to go back to bed, go for it, its better to get rest than be sleep deprived trying to fix your sleep. But you'll find usually you won't wanna go back to bed so soon.

Mr Rn and BrighterFuture like this.
  15. Mr Rn

Mr Rn Fapstronaut

Thank you guys for taking the time to post

Update: I've now successfully started waking up on the first alarm which I find is much more refreshing than snoozing 10 alarms straight. I've also started sleeping a little earlier and waking up earlier too

I'm starting uni in a couple weeks again, that will force me into a new and probably better body clock... as long as I don't pull off all nighters for any assignments

BrighterFuture likes this.
  16. It would be interesting if you had some purpose in life, because think with me, if you don't have what to do in the day for you to get out of the comfort zone that is sleep?

17. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

Wake up early once, it should make you tired during the night so you will fall asleep quicker and develop a better sleep cycle. I agree with others, it is easier to get up early when there is a reason for it - like a job or school.

Hadrian3 and Mr Rn like this.
  18. wicket

wicket Fapstronaut

Avoid caffeine too late and excessive use of it in general and basically cut out alcohol and substances and bingo I can still sleep sound as a baby.

Technically manchild.

Mr Rn and BrighterFuture like this.
  19. Sasukee !!

Sasukee !! Fapstronaut

To keep my answer short and simple , I'll say if you don't have a very strong purpose to wake up early, you'll not wake up, no matter what methods you try. I know it's bit harsh but it's true. Whatever you try to wake up early without that solid reason will be forced and not natural and eventually will not continue for many days. But if you have something for which you are happily (or unhappily, in case of office work, etc. ) willing to sacrifice your precious sleep , then at first place, you'll not need to bother about it at all, you'll wake up anyhow and your routine will also automatically be adjusted accordingly. So try to find out that reason for which you wanna wake up early .

Mr Rn likes this.
  20. Mr Rn

Mr Rn Fapstronaut

precisely, I didn't have reason to wake up in the summer holiday other than applying for placement jobs which where very scarce. I've started uni again and I'm not having a problem with sleep anymore

Sasukee !! likes this.