1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why English spelling is so messed up

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Happy Gnome, Sep 18, 2021.

1. As a native speaker even I misspell words at times. For someone learning the language as their second or third language, it must be a nightmare. If English isn't your first language and you had to learn it, how do you cope with English spelling?

Robert.G99 and GotCaught like this.
  2. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I didn't have much problems with it. I don't know. I memorise the spellings easily. Sometimes I set my own pronunciations on the words so that I remember the spellings. A more relevant pronunciation. As if it's a Latin word maybe.

PS Misspelled pronunciations at first. Wrote pronounciations, because I confused its spelling with pronounce. relative words but surprisingly different spelling.

3. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Why is American spelling so messed up? ;)

4. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

5. Wow you must be good at memorization, I would be terrible at it I think. I've taken a look into French which has a very similar problem ("faim"- hunger is pronounced "feh" the vowel being nasalized, "-ois" is pronounced "-wa" for some reason, and French has a bunch of dipthongs and tripthongs you don't pronounce, also most of the time you don't pronounce the last consonant in a word- most of the time because sometimes you do) and the headache with looking at a French word and having no idea how to pronounce it makes me want to give up on learning it.

I submit to you that it is actually British spelling which is more historical and makes less sense :p. Theatre vs theater, colour vs color, apologize vs apologise- in each case it appears to me that American spelling more closely approximates how the word is actually pronounced. Though personally I find British spelling more fun and actually used to use them myself until my college forced me to change and adapt American spellings.

The thing about Welsh is that once you learn the spelling rules it is very regular and it's easy to figure out how to say a word by how it is spelled. Not so much with English.

Personal anecdote, I've known how to say Llanfair PG since I was a kid when my dad and I tried to learn Welsh. I say it with an American accent, sure, but all the sounds are in the right places.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
    Hadrian3 likes this.
  6. I have no idea, i learned to speak English thanks to video games, movies and online forums ... how i learned to spell...i have no freaking clue

I live in Croatia, our spelling is easy as it can get, but language in itself is very rich with words, to kind of elaborate it better there are various ways to come up to most original swear words ever, can you do that in English ? I doubt :emoji_sunglasses:

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  7. FrequencyLimbos

FrequencyLimbos Fapstronaut

unrelated, one of my posts was removed pending a review of sorts title was "My hatred or dislike of women" i asked to basically be proven wrong and welcomed opinions opposing mine, i don't see what I've done wrong here.

8. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

It is always a good point of banter. :p I live on the South Coast and here we pronounce drawing as draw-ring. o_O So, in the Midlands and the North they laugh at us for that. :D It makes the world go round I guess. ;)

I hope you are keeping well btw. :)

9. FrequencyLimbos

FrequencyLimbos Fapstronaut

it's not soccer it's football lol

Hadrian3 and skaterdrew like this.
  10. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Right! ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  11. Haha, it adds some variety and spice to life! That's one I hadn't heard before, really interesting there isn't even an "r" there so wonder where that came from lol. I have some experience in linguistics and consonants tend to disappear and get simpler, not show up from nowhere haha.

I am thank you for asking. :) Hope you are as well.

hope4healing likes this.
  12. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yes, I have no idea where it comes from either. :rolleyes: It just shows how much we are influenced by local pronunciation haha.

That's good, I am doing well thanks. :)

Stulcifer and hope4healing like this.
  13. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

For me, guessing the correct pronunciation of a word according to its spelling is a far bigger problem. E.g. "ea" is pronounced something close to /i/ (meat, read, etc.) in many words and sometimes I unconsciously choose to pronounce the "ea" like /i/ and later I realise it's wrong. Once I pronounced "heavy" like that and the Hongkongese girl almost laughed at me, after correcting me.

I've seen a person pronounce the "ea" in the word "header" like /i/ on television more than one time.
    "ea" can have several different sounds: meat, bread, break, theatre, etc. Even two words with same spelling are pronounced differently: read and read.

Sometimes I pronounce "i" like /ai/ wrongly. I used to think hidden is pronounced like hide.
    Also, I used to think the word "etc." is pronounced like "ETC" and not "et cetera".
    I could bring more examples.

14. Robert.G99

Robert.G99 Fapstronaut

Well, not really, it's not a nightmare. Yes, it is hard to learn a new language, especially for someone from a country who doesn't use the Latin alphabet. For example, I consider English much easier to learn than my native language (Romanian) where the pronunciation is very hard even for a native speaker. For example, if you are not a native speaker it's almost impossible to understand the Moldavian accent. It's like 2 different languages if you hear them. But I consider French harder than every romance language and Romanian after that. I can decently read in French, but I don't understand very much. The easiest language, for us romanians, to learn is Italian. It's pretty similar but easier in pronunciation.