1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Transcendental Meditation?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 17, 2017.

1. has anyone learned this technique? Did it help, is it worth it?

Ayjaydubya likes this.
  2. im_alive

im_alive Fapstronaut

I heard about this a while back, and went to see someone about it. A teacher. I didn't go through with it but interested in what others have to say!

3. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go through with it?

im_alive likes this.
  4. im_alive

im_alive Fapstronaut

I couldn't post on here, there was an issue with the website. I tried to post on your profile, not sure if you saw it?

Anyway the main reason I didn't go through with it was because they advise that you do 2 x 20 minutes per day. I have a busy life and couldn't commit to that. I still use headspace and I get great benefits from it.

5. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

If you ask it if its worth it just dont do it. If you heard about it just try. I tell from my personal experience that when i practiced meditation I achieved very blissfull calm state.

6. Ayjaydubya

Ayjaydubya Fapstronaut

I have found meditation to be a helpful process for personal growth.

7. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

What have you gained or get from meditation as personal growth?

8. Ayjaydubya

Ayjaydubya Fapstronaut

It is hard to quantify or put into words. You have to enter it with no expectations of getting "something" out of it. Its effect usually isn't noticeable within the actual practice. What you notice is a better understanding of who you are and notice areas of your life where you need to grow. It brings more peace into your life. It helps you live in the present moment. It helps you to accept what is. You can more easily go with the flow. Again you usually don't experience it in the practice itself--it will often seem like a waste of time. Its effect accumulates over time.

im_alive and Dziki007 like this.
  9. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

Exactly, i asked you in more like retoric way and seems you undesrstand that practice. There is no purpose in meditaton. You just learn to be in present moment, and even sometimes be in very blissfull state ^^ Thats why people intrested in meditation shoudnt ask first what they can gain from it but just be pure intrested in this method and practice just be in present.

im_alive and Ayjaydubya like this.
  10. Ayjaydubya

Ayjaydubya Fapstronaut

Noticing your moniker, you may be interested in Centering Prayer. There is a lot of information on line @ contemplativeoutreach.org. It is kind of like the Christian version of TM. Perhaps we should start a meditation group here. Many people who struggle with addiction are encouraged to begin a meditation practice.

11. Spoons Heaven

Spoons Heaven New Fapstronaut

Don't learn transcendental meditation from the organization!!! It's a scam!! I paid $750 dollars with the student discount and it was a complete rip off! They tried to induct me into their cult!!
    https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Meditation-Pathway-Personal-Freedom/dp/097646554X. That book teaches you EXACTLY How to do it. They say that they give you "your mantra" based on everything about you. Don't believe it. Read this before you make any decisions!! http://www.suggestibility.org/

im_alive likes this.
  12. I learned the TM (Transcendental Meditation) technique in the 70's and I find it to be tremendously helpful.
    The problem is of course I FAIL TO KEEP TO A MEDITATION SCHEDULE. There is no doubt that it is beneficial, but only if I do so on a regular basis. Let me know if you want a meditation accountabilty person!

13. Waltz

Waltz Fapstronaut

Meditation is a state not an activity, what you do does not matter. Whether you're singing, dancing, cooking, working or doing nothing (sitting down with cross legs and a handsign) if you lose sense of everything body, mind, time everything, that is when you enter the state of calm the Sanskrit word for it is samadhi. So to experience this you have to first forget about body (if you practice for long time you'll realize that it's painful, physically) first transend your experience from physical to mental then forget about you're mind too after that when there's nothing left that is when you enter into what you call transidential meditation.

Don't fall for these programe selling scums, they're just doing business out of something divine, if you're really serious about meditation then read the book A MILLION THOUGHTS by Om swami. Just read and you'll find all the answers you need. Hope this helps.

FapistMonk likes this.
  14. Mindfulness of breathing can take you all the way to the deathless, not that there aren't other useful techniques.

FapistMonk likes this.