1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to understand

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by Loveless1990, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Loveless1990

Loveless1990 Fapstronaut

My husband is a pmo addict he has been since before we met. I have been looking for info online to help me understand and I am having a hard time with it. I feel so hurt and betrayed. I feel as though i have been cheated on multiple times. I understand addiction and recovery but this addiction has been mentally draining for me. I love my husband but he built our relationship on lies he told me he was in recovery but he wasnt. This has been an ongoing battle our entire relationship. I tried to stay supportive as long as I could. We did covenant eyes and he still continued to relapse and lie about it. He even got another device. After the last time i caught him in the act our relationship changed. We dont even sleep in bed together. We have 2 kids and one on the way the older 2 are old enough notice changes. I want this to work and he says hes in recovery again. I want to believe him but the trust is not there. This has taken its toll on me mentally and physically. My self confidence is at 0 i just feel like im not good enough. He gets upset because he feels like im not trying but i really dont have more to give. I keep telling him it takes time. He talks to people and has support but for the longest time he made me promise not to tell anyone. I need support too. I want my family and i want to be supporive but i dont know how anymore. Sorry for such and long ramble there is so much more on my mind but i dont even know how to put it into words.

2. First, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. This is so painful and unfair. Please know that you're not alone, though. I know it feels like you are most of the time, but there are many of us SO's here who truly understand the agony of having a PA partner.

The trust will not just reappear because he 'says' he's in recovery. He's proven to you multiple times that his words are meaningless. His actions are the only thing you can trust. If he's truly in recovery, what steps has he taken? Does he see a CSAT? Does he attend support groups? What books has he read or courses has he taken to learn about his addiction? Has he done any work to try to find out what drives him to his addiction in the first place? Does he have an accountability partner? If he hasn't done anything but say he'll stop acting out, then he's not in recovery. Abstinence does not equal recovery. If he isn't actively working on his recovery, it's only a matter of time before everything slides back into the old ways. If it was as simple as him saying he won't act out anymore, he would've stopped a long time ago. But, this is an addiction, and that means he can't just fix everything by saying what you want to hear...even if he believes it himself at the time he says it.

He shouldn't get upset with you for not trusting him when he's proven himself to be untrustworthy. HE is the one who should be trying to earn back your trust by being honest and accountable for his actions. Being impatient with you for "not trying" shows he's no where near the place he needs to be for you to begin trusting him again.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh, but this is not your fault. You didn't create this painful situation, and you can't make it all better by just trying harder to trust him. In fact, that will likely make it that much more damaging when the cycle repeats itself. Trust actions, not words.

I can relate to your story so well, and I understand the heart-wrenching destruction that PA brings to your life. Again, I'm sorry for what you're going through.

3. Loveless1990

Loveless1990 Fapstronaut

He is working on his addiction. I definitely can say hes trying. I have taken a step back in his recovery because i told him that he has to work on his recovery before we can even talk about working on our marriage. I just dont like the person the lies and relapses have made me. I feel like i dont know myself. I am working on me too. Honestly trying to take it one day at a time. I am trying to build myself back up.

hope4healing likes this.
  4. I understand this. The betrayal trauma definitely takes its toll. I am not the same person I used to be either, and it makes me sad to think that I'm forever changed because of his addiction. But, I know I can never go back to being my old self. I just hope I can eventually heal enough to become a new, acceptable me.

That's how we have to do it sometimes, but it doesn't make it easy when there always seems to be another setback just around the corner.

5. Loveless1990

Loveless1990 Fapstronaut

I couldn't agree more. I wish you well in your healing process.

hope4healing likes this.
  6. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

I thought I posted a response, but apparently not. If I may ask and I know this is a very personal question, with all that is going on with him, why did you conceive a child? Please don't take offense. I just want to understand your mindset here.

7. Delicatesla

Delicatesla Fapstronaut

My only advice is DO NOT deal with this alone, you too need a support network just like he has - when I kept my fiancés addiction to myself it drove me absolutely insane the feelings of loneliness are unbearable.

He can't expect you to deal with this alone because of the shame cycle he is in - that is just disheartening, why can he get all the support for this affliction and you have to suffer with something you never chose?

Trust just doesn't materialise from nowhere it is earned and he needs to earn your trust by showing you that he is willing to change and you seeing it for your own two eyes!

Do not lose hope, reach out to your friends and family - you need to help yourself now, you are important and you deserve to feel loved and worthy <3

Loveless1990 likes this.
  8. Loveless1990

Loveless1990 Fapstronaut

Thank you so much.

9. used19

used19 Fapstronaut

This is not an easy answer. I conceived our 4th child after about a month of our first dday. We had some life stuff going on related to grief and then that coupled with all the sudden honesty, emotion (when there had been none), sharing, openness, lack of secrets, etc. all ignited a bond that had been there from the beginning. It is easy to forget that a significant other has had her ongoing need for intimacy, for sexuality for a deep bond - and that all of a sudden when that is met it is very easy to want to be intimate physically with your spouse. And sometimes all it takes is one time. I thought I was in a safe window and that the stress from both the betrayal and another aspect of grief that was happening simultaneously, was enough that I was certain I had not ovulated. Nope. In the end it has been good, the pregnancy protected me, my body protected me and at the time when I could have felt so alone that I may have done something horrible, I had my baby to bond to and find solace in.

In a side note, to any woman experiencing betrayal trauma who is pregnant, I would prepare emotionally for some more crap to hit you a few months after baby is born. I was hit with a wall of processing about 3 months after birth, when hormones started shifting back and my body knew that processing my grief and anger fully would no longer be harmful to my baby. I had been worried that I would struggle in labor, but it turns out my body dissociated to protect me, and held on to process later. It may not happen to everyone, but I wanted to put this here in case other women experience the same.

hope4healing and Loveless1990 like this.