1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone read The Couple's Guide to Intimacy:?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Reverent, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

2. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

Haven't read the book so can't really comment on it. I do have this thought though that I think you should consider. When was the book written? If it was before 2017 I would throw it in the trash. I would also consider the fact as I've read elsewhere repeatedly that it is most important to work on the addiction and betrayal trauma independently first before giving any consideration to working on the relationship. Go take the test: https://intimacyanorexia.com/ia-test/, but remember to answer the questions as you view your husband.

Psalm27:1my light likes this.
  3. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

@happenstance I'm not sure who your comment was directed? Thanks for the response.

Yes me and my wife have been in recovery for over 4 years. I agree you must work on addiction and betrayal trauma independently.

We also fully understand the differences between codependency vs betrayed partner models of therapy. Certainly not all books are equal, but not all pre2017 books are trash.

We are very much in the reintegration stage of our healing, and we find very little resources among that, though we are open.

masimas and hope4healing like this.
  4. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

Curious, are u religious?

5. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

Sure

6. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

Would you kindly be a little more specific? What religion are you and do you actively participate in it?

7. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

Nope. Don't need the judgement, don't see it's pertinence.

hope4healing likes this.
  8. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

If that is what you see it as then you don’t need my recommendation either. Best of luck to you.

9. You don't have to spell out all your religious beliefs just to ask for a book recommendation. You already said you haven't read the book anyway.

Reverent likes this.
  10. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

Good grief! You see, you already drew a foregone conclusion about my intentions based solely on your complete ignorance of what I was about to say, and then you give me this diatribe about recommending a book I haven't read? Who does that? No, I wasn't about to recommend the book you asked about, but another one. But it doesn't matter now because you're never going to find out what book it was. Good luck.

Reverent likes this.
  11. I wasn't drawing any conclusions, nor was I speaking about your intentions. I simply stated that fact that there isn't a requirement for someone to offer up their religious perspective in exchange for a book recommendation. And, the reason I said that was because, after saying he didn't want to share it nor saw the relevance of it, you made it clear that you wouldn't give your recommendation without it. And, that's fine. You don't have to recommend anything to anyone if you don't want to...the same way he doesn't have to share his beliefs if he doesn't want to.

My two sentences were hardly a diatribe, nor were they intended to elicit a hostile response. In any case, I'm confident that @Reverent will be ok even without ever knowing which book it was.

12. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

My bad! For some reason I was thinking you were the OP. I guess I should have paid closer attention to who was posting the message. My apologies for that.

But this brings up another point entirely. There was a reason for asking what religion someone is if the book is written from a christian perspective and they are muslim or vice versa it wouldn't necessarily apply to them. I didn't even want to get into a religious debate or discussion which you seem intent on making it one. So yes there is good reason to ask the question before I recommend a book that is written by someone who believes in buddhism in this case. And if that is my requirement then so be it. It makes no difference whether you agree with it or not nor do I care. No he doesn't have to disclose his religion nor do I have to disclose the book. Thanks for stating the obvious. At this point I could care less.

Reverent likes this.
  13. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Ha?
    The modern shit is trash.
    The old books are more honest since they don't have to be politically correct.

14. @happenstance @Beekind ;)
    I have A Couples Guide to Intimacy and found it helpful, but after about 1/3 of the way through realized that we were (or at least just me) probably not ready for it. My wife resonated a lot with the things it said - I'd recommend reading it together, out loud. It has some possibly helpful example scenarios, but I could see them being distracting if they aren't relatable to the specific reader/couple. But overall it is very detailed and comprehensive in the approach to reintegration.

Reverent and Beekind like this.
  15. happenstance

happenstance Fapstronaut

Thanks but I leaned from Doug Weiss's IA program and that works great.

Beekind likes this.
  16. blackkathy

blackkathy New Fapstronaut

Curious, are u religious?