1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I wanna start reading a book series. Anyone has good suggestions which one to read?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Resilience personified, Oct 29, 2021.

1. I love reading book series a lot! Till now I have read 3 series.
    1) Geronimo Stilton
    2) Harry Potter
    3) Diary Of A Wimpy Kid(just read book 16)
    But all these books are kinda childish... I wish to read more book series but I am confused as to which one I should read. Can anyone suggest me any good series?
    The series should have good and entertaining storyline but it should inspiring at the same time. It should also not be childish.

2. CaptainStrat

CaptainStrat Fapstronaut

Patrick OBrian’s Aubrey/Maturin series.
    Trust me. The gold standard.

Perseverance 16 likes this.
  3. What is it about

4. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

The Witcher! You'll never read anything better.

88991s and Perseverance 16 like this.
  5. I see... your journal is named after it!

6. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

My avatar and username are the second main character, truly my favourite fictional character ever created. If you're into high fantasy, with a realistic twist, I highly encourage you to give it a go! The 4th book, Time of Contempt, and the 7th, Lady of the Lake (as well as the prequel, Season of Storms) are my favourites. The first two books are collections of novellas.

7. I googled it and don't really know where to start from I couldn't find which book is the first one.

8. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

The first book is The Last Wish, but as I said, it's a collection of novellas. The second book, Sword of Destiny, is also a collection of novellas; it starts being full books with the third, Blood of Elves. I highly suggest you start with The Last Wish tbh! And that you read it in order

9. Ok :)

10. A wholesome post I have A LOT OF CHOICE HERE! :)

WildEntheology likes this.
  11. I seem to like:
    THE WHEEL OF TIME(fiction)
    SLIGHT EDGE(non-fiction, self-improvement)

WildEntheology likes this.
  12. What about the slight edge?

13. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Haven't read them. No too much sexual content?

14. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

It is indeed extremely sexual when I think about, wouldn't advise it for everybody, but if you can stomach it... Literally the first page of the first book is fantasised sex lol.

Perseverance 16 and Hadrian3 like this.
  15. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I've been reading a medieval fantasy series called The Riyria Revelations and it was great. It's quite safe to read for younger persons and has comparatively easy English. Noble people, love, war, family, religion are some main of the main themes of it. If you want to read, start from Theft of Swords volume.

Edit: Just read through your post. It's not like those complex books (like the ones @AtomicTango read) but I don't think it's childish at all. It's somewhere in the middle. In terms of being inspiring, not sure what works for you. I guess it's more entertaining and fun to read than being inspiring.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  16. Oh no that would be a problem. I can't stomach sexual stuff.

17. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

That's totally fair enough, especially on that website. But at least, it's a very adult recommendation!

18. CaptainStrat

CaptainStrat Fapstronaut

It’s a series of books about a Royal Navy captain during the Napoleonic times.

It’s the basis for the movie “Master and Commander.” Excellent movie. Brilliant novels.

Hadrian3 and Perseverance 16 like this.
  19. @WildEntheology can you do me a favour?
    Please can you write the name of the wheel of time books chronologically?

20. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

Try asimov's foundation series or GRR martin(even tough it will likely never be finished) or the witcher as has been suggested, i do not recommend non-fiction self-improvement books, to me they pretty much all say the same thing, if you are going to be reading non-fiction might as well read something that will enhance your knowledge such as psychology, biology, anthropology or such. You showed an interest in history in an earlier post you might consider reading some history books too, i know in school most people do not care but great historical figures are an inspiration much better than those self-help book imo.
    There is also the gone series by michael grant i think it is right up your alley, it is sort of lord of the flies but in a more modern setting.