1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I wanna start reading a book series. Anyone has good suggestions which one to read?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Resilience personified, Oct 29, 2021.

1. YES I have interest in History as a story to get inspired from and to take lessons. But I don't like to memorise the answers. I might actually even buy a historical book as well. Ngl I was just searching about a book on Vikings.

Akbarmagnus and WildEntheology like this.
  2. Thanks a lot! :)

WildEntheology likes this.
  3. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I'm inclined to agree about the self-improvement books. But it doesn't mean they're not helpful. Some are really bad.
    But at least those who are mediocre, can be very helpful. I think they can work for some people to some extent.

History is great! I also recommend OP the historical fiction genre. It improve historical knowledge and entertain as well.

4. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

5. FirefromAbove

Around your age I also read the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, but I wouldn't read them if you're easily triggered or don't have a stomach for graphic material, but it is a good series.

Perseverance 16 likes this.
  6. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Did you choose anything to read?
    Let us know if you start reading.

The Wheel of Time seems to be one of the longest and most dense novels ever. I'm hearing there are like tens of thousands of characters and hundreds of storylines throughout the series! Almost unimaginable for me. The author passed away before finishing the series and they hired another writer to finish it. I think it's a big challenge to read it.

What's the series about anyway?:D

Akbarmagnus and Resilience 16 like this.
  7. I choose two books to read. The Wheel Of Time and Slight Edge.
    But I haven't bought them yet. I will most probably buy them next this Sunday. I think The Wheel Of Time is about magic, wizards and witches. From what I have read on Google, The Wheel Of Time has a female protagonist! Which is unique and also interesting! :)

Akbarmagnus and Hadrian3 like this.
  8. FirefromAbove

Reading Dune rn. It is mind-blowing, but I recommend having a good foundation in sci-fi before picking up the book.

9. FirefromAbove

Unfortunately, I saw the movie first (now a lot of my imagination is tainted by the actors in the movie. Which is both bad and good)

I never watched the David Lynch version, but Villeneuve never disappoints and the movie is great, but as with every book... It isn't dune.

I actually bought the last copy at my bookstore the day after I watched it and by god is my mind being blown every chapter. This book is so different from other sci-fis... I can't describe it in any other words. I absolutely love the book so far.

Know this... There's a reason why ppl say the book is impossible to make into a movie. There's just so much.

Hadrian3 and Resilience 16 like this.
  10. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

Never a good idea. I tried dune a while back before the movie came but the lazy world building did me in, maybe i will retry it later.

Resilience 16 likes this.
  11. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I suggest the dune series, with this in mind, i suggest afterwards you view the new 2021 theatrical release of the novel adaptation. The actors show great potential in playing the characters ,I on the other hand, have not watched it yet.

Bman44 and Resilience 16 like this.
  12. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Shai'tan is the Islamic word for devils / the Satan.

My favourite world is something close to the medieval Europe. Is Wheel of Time like that?

Also, I assume you're a native English speaker. It's much more difficult for me to read English books. So, it makes it even harder. (I usually read a book whilst listening to the audiobook)

Resilience 16 likes this.
  13. aricking

aricking Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Sherlock Holmes

Resilience 16 and Hadrian3 like this.
  14. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

If you don't mind reading light novel try overlord, basically a guy who start kind of an asshole and slowly turn into absolute evil i believe dune is somewhat similar to that.
    oh and also he is the most powerful being in the world.

aricking and Resilience 16 like this.
  15. aricking

aricking Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Sword Art Online is another great light novel

Akbarmagnus and Resilience 16 like this.
  16. Also recommend dune books, and Alastair Reynolds revelation space series and anything by Ian banks. But do you need a series? There are more great single books than great series - the road, catch 22, 1984, train spotting, the watchmen, fight club, stone junction etc