1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Book recommendations on mental health

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Hey,

I’m looking for books that deal with childhood traumas and how they manifest in adulthood. Specifically growing up with a parent who is one or all of these things. domineering, narcissistic, physically and emotionally abusive, Detached, Not around, anything that relates to a parent not being available emotionally or who doesn’t really take an interest in what their kid does. I’m also interested in anything that talks about not having a biological father around.

apologies for being direct but this is all in an attempt to to gather the tools necessary for personal growth. Also I’m sure there is not a book that tackles all these topics at once (at least not many) so anything that talks about these kind of things separately I’d be interested in as well.

Thanks.

wicket and Buddhism Is True like this.
  2. That's how I felt about my parents and still do when I let myself. Fact is they did the best they could with what they had. Or maybe they were legitimately evil and meant you harm. In either case they didn't know any better and its not your fault.

wicket and El Husk like this.
  3. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

Hello brother. I would 200% recommend reading a book on bioenergetics. There is a book by alexander lower called "fear of life" which discusses the physical manifestation of trauma and so on in the body. Honestly this is life-changing stuff, you should check it out

Optimum Fortitude, El Husk and wicket like this.
  4. wicket

wicket Fapstronaut

Dr. Gabor Maté deals with childhood trauma nothing else comes to mind Jim B. Tucker is the only child psychiatrist I am familiar with at present but he specializes in perhaps a taboo topic relating to childhood experiences Gabor has books on childhood trauma and how addiction develops from it

El Husk likes this.
  5. - Silently Seduced: When Parents Make Their Children Partners by Kenneth Adams (deals with emotional abuse and emotional incest).

- Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents by Lindsay Gibson

- Narcissistic Mothers: How to Handle a Narcissistic Parent and Recover from CPTSD by Caroline Foster

I hope you can get helped by a therapist also, if not already the case. You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing man, and I have no doubt you're already very advanced in your recovery if you're willing to face the core of the issues head on.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    El Husk likes this.
  6. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

Seconding adult children of emotionally immature parents. I didn't finish it admittedly, but from what I read its pretty great. I went through those same things as a kid and this is one of the few books i've seen that really goes after this specific problem in a great way.

El Husk and Optimum Fortitude like this.
  7. Saiba Sakaki

Saiba Sakaki Fapstronaut

Hey, i don't know if my answer would be help but i recently read the "No more mr nice guy". It doesn't talk about trauma but based with what had you experience, it will be good

8. I read that book and I don't really recommend it. I found it to be superficial and condescending. The author wrote another book that completely contradicts what he says in No More Mr Nice Guy and presents himself as some sort of dating artist. Just stupid.

I'd recommend "Not Nice" by Dr. Aziz instead. These books don't specifically tackle the issue of narcissist parenting and parental emotional, sexual or physical abuse though. They deal with problematic people-pleasing tendencies.

Saiba Sakaki and El Husk like this.
  9. thanks for the recommendations guys I've saved these books to my Wishlist.

@Optimum Fortitude I've thought about seeing a therapist, i know it would be wise to do so but its hard to get over that mental hurdle of being in a vulnerable position of opening up to someone. especially when i don't know if that person is just doing it because its their job or if they are just going to tell me what i want to hear and not what i need to hear. i don't know if i would say I'm "advanced in my recovery" just self aware. sometimes i feel like i have the tools necessary to change just applying them has been the hard part. That's probably true for most people on here though, that's why its the hard part because it sure as shit hasn't been easy.

@Saiba Sakaki I read that book a few months ago based on a recommendation from C.S Joeseph. Good book for sure, from what i remember it didn't seem to go deeper then the surface level on many of these subjects though. i did get some pick up artist vibes from the book like optimum was saying from what i remember. its been a while since I've read it though ill probably download it again and re read it just to see if i feel the same way about it or not.

@
    Buddhism Is True I dont believe they were evil none of the abuse was sexual, mostly physical and emotional. i dont hold it against either of them their just human and humans are flawed.

10. Hey man, I can completely relate to you. I was in that same position before. Just like in any other profession, there are good and bad therapists. I quit my former profession and I currently study psychology to become a psychotherapist. That's how much I was inspired by my own journey in therapy. PM me if you want me to help you look for one that looks serious and a good match for you.

It's very uncomfortable to reveal yourself (especially the first sessions) especially to someone that you know nothing about, but it's an important part of the process. And you can disclose things at your own pace. You can talk about anything and everything really.

Therapists aren't supposed to label you, tell you what your problems are or what the answers are. As trained mental health professionals, they're supposed to empower you to meet your own needs and find your own solutions through a wide set of skills including active listening and unconditional acceptance (i.e. no judgment). They're especially not supposed to tell their clients what they want to hear, that's straight up malpractice. Unfortunately, some do and they give the whole profession a bad rap. If you trust the process and give it your best, it can only work. It's the main factor of success.

If you feel like you're making progress on your own right now it's all good. But know that you'll always be able to find people in your area who can help, and who chose to become psychotherapists because they truly want to help other people, and received serious science-based training on how to productively and properly help people.