1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How come low testosterone can cause hair loss if it is DHT who causes it??

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by zeke27, Oct 24, 2021.

1. zeke27

zeke27 Fapstronaut

Recently I came with a web article describing that low testosterone can cause hair loss… how can be this possible since is this hormone who causes balding?

2. I think stopping pmo is always a good thing.
    After 3,5 months no fapping I pull less hairs out when I scratch my head heavily.

And indeed, diet is so important, I need to take more care on that area.
    Thanks for the tips @Karl47.

zeke27 likes this.
  3. I understand it like this:

1. Testosterone is produced in the testes. It circulates in the bloodstream, and serves a variety of hormonal functions (including helping build muscle mass).
    2. In the hair follicle of the head the enzyme testosterone 5-alpha reductase is expressed to varying levels (controlled by genetics but also diet - as pointed out by @Karl47 ).
    3. This enzyme converts the testosterone to DHT. Unlike testosterone, the DHT does not then circulate around the body. It stays in the follicle, and at high levels kills the follicle (why the body would want to kill its own follicle? See below).

So a man with high T and/or high hair follicle enzyme may go bald. Also, a bad diet. All 3 may also work together.

Evolutionary explanation: It may be a mechanism to make men more or less attractive to women (depends on the situation). It may signal to women 'this guy has high testosterone'. Why is this important? High testosterone reduces male fertility: high T men are less fertile. But high T makes a man stronger and then more able to engage in violence. So imagine the hunter-gatherer woman is living in a dangerous world with lots of violence - then she might want to mate with a high T male, even though he is less fertile. However, imagine she lives in a world with loads of food and peaceful community - then she might prefer the more fertile low T male to mate with.

There is a similar story with grey hair - which may have evolved to let females know a male is old and therefore less likely to be able to live long enough to raise her kids.

p.s. my understanding is it is high T not low T associated with higher likelihood of hair loss. This is why a lot of roid using body builders lose their hair.

4. karmar

karmar New Fapstronaut

Testosterone is a male hormone. The higher it is, the more hair you have. If it is lower than the norm, it is the opposite. For example, I am a girl, my testosterone is too high, and I have very, very hair. In the case of a friend of mine, testosterone is so low that she doesn't have a lot of hair. Even on the head, she has a lot of hairless places. It's an annoying thing, and that's why she had a hair transplant. Now she is trying to raise her testosterone, but this process is quite complicated. So we need to be very careful about the level of our hormones in the body and to see the doctor regularly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    joetuckeruj likes this.
  5. sam30

sam30 Fapstronaut

I stop eating fast food.. started eating oatmeal