1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Masculinity

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. It seems to be the case that countries that have more rights for women have less women taking up STEM studies. Sweden, considered the most feminist county in the world, has the least amount of women taking up STEM subjects. https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-equality-countries-stem-girls-3848156-Feb2018/

I think this is due to women needing to get better jobs so as to be more independent from men in countries with less economic opportunities and with poor social welfare for women.

From the article:
    "STEM careers are generally secure and well-paid but the risks of not following such a path can vary. In more affluent counties, where any choice of career feels relatively safe, women may feel able to make choices based on non-economic factors."

"Conversely, in counties with fewer economic opportunities, or where employment might be precarious, a well-paid and relatively secure STEM career can be more attractive to women."

she-dernatinus likes this.
  2. she-dernatinus

she-dernatinus Fapstronaut

You are right about this point, fewer economic opportunities can create pragmatic mindsets in females. But in my country, girls always were high-ranking students regardless of their motivation for choosing their careers. This proves they have as much potential to indulge in logical analysis as their male counterparts.

Another reason, is that western culture seems to associate STEM, particulary engineering, heavily with masculinity (I had been told I was chosing a man's job). Add to this the different roles we internalize since early childhood, and the different skills encouraged and cultivated in little boys and girls.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. she-dernatinus

Using this logic, we can also explain how men in the west turn to STEM. Culture is still inclined to perceive providing as men's duties, and since men learned to cultivate STEM-related skills since early childhood more than girls, it would make sense for them to opt for such high-paying jobs they were better prepared to adapt to, in order to achieve successful relationships and careers.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    The Passenger likes this.
  4. but simply labeling everything 'toxic masculinity' or 'racism' is ok right?

5. Were you told you were choosing a man's job by someone in the West? I find it a bit odd that Eastern countries would be more progressive culturaly when it comes to viewing jobs as being for men or women when the men in these countries would be considered more opresessive to women? Or have I misunderstood you here?

6. 1. Strength
    2. Honor
    3. Wisdom
    4. Courage
    5. Justice

7. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

This thread is hilarious, keep it going people

8. It is Finished

It is Finished Fapstronaut

I don’t know what’s going on in this thread but last time I checked both men and women are being subject to mandatory vaccination. The fact is, both sexes are victims of the “elites” controlling, authoritarian, dehumanizing methods. The war between average men and women is nothing but a distraction to keep us divided so that they can continue to get away with their agendas. @she-dernatinus @Meshuga @FirefromAbove @WildEntheology @SickSicko @Dioplleo_547 @cato-the-younger @PatrickBasedman

9. she-dernatinus

Not necessarily, I still think Western countries to be more progressive. However it doesn't mean there aren't few remaining rigid ideas qualifying some careers as rather masculine or feminine .

The one who told me I have chosen a 'man's career' is a user in Nofap.

10. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

I have no stake in this thread other than to watch ppl waste their time.

I agree with you

SickSicko and It is Finished like this.
  11. PatrickBasedman

PatrickBasedman Fapstronaut

Here's the phone king, the Based Department is calling.

12. It is Finished

Yeah... and he was literally trolling you. I don't know how you haven't noticed that you've made yourself a target for trolling and people saying things just for the sake of triggering you.

13. she-dernatinus

I considered that possibility back then, to be honest. But I could never be sure whether he was trolling or not, since the topic of our discussion had casually revolved about random life issues, studies, and university. There is no way he'd have gotten his inspiration solely from my replies in that specific thread.

I don't see how anyone could be triggered. Unless that user was explicitly told of my questions regarding whether my career was firmly viewed as masculine or not, from a trusted source on top of that. Supposing that member was indeed trolling. Then someone must, privately, have told him to qualify my career choice this way. And this person is likely suffering from chronic trolling as well.

Second, he is not the first one to make this statement. I had received similar remarks from other members who didn't suffer from a chronic trolling illness. This is what made me lower my doubt a bit. Furthermore, reading his response made me feel happy instead of triggered. I'll let you guess why.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  14. Quezatolah

Quezatolah Fapstronaut

Let me just say that it's not masculine to have vices or be controlled by them, so everyone who is here doesn't know what they're talking about by default.

SickSicko likes this.
  15. she-dernatinus

@It is Finished I wouldn't advice those pseudo-fapstaunauts to troll anyone. They also have open mental wounds and scars that could be targeted. It's the same reason for their trolling attitude after all.

I almost forgot...do you actually have an idea who the user I am referring to is ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  16. she-dernatinus

Anyways, I am sure @SickSicko has something to say about this too.

17. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

About what?

18. she-dernatinus

Did you read my response to itisfinished ?

19. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Yeah I did, what's your point?

20. It is Finished

People could have read your previous posts and got the gist of what you're about.. did you not consider that? When i used the word triggered, I didn't mean that it must have a negative connotation. Simply put, a better use of words could be to provoke, or get a reaction out of you.
    Yes I'm well aware, as I read that interaction between you two, and it was quite obvious to me that he was trolling you.

21. she-dernatinus

I did consider that as well. But I never spoke about it in detail with anyone, except with a few users in private conversations. A minimal number of people know the nature of my career choice. And who will bother themselves searching older posts to find only mild references to my private life ?

And why would he use my career choice to provoke me? Of all the things I have stated since march 2020. Even in that thread, there is nothing to guarantee him using that card would indeed provoke me. So where did he get this idea ? Supposing you are right of course.