1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT ARE THE TOP THINGS THAT CAUSE YOU TO FALL?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Plan: Resist negative thoughts, assist positive thoughts. Positive thoughts are not going to stay, they need to be assisted. Negative thoughts are not going to leave they need to be resisted.
    I am starting this thread so that any of us can share what causes a fall. Then we can all band together with a bunch of solutions and things to try.
    My top reasons for falling are money, frustration and when I see something I should not see.
    What are your top ones?

2. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

I've talked about this a lot lately but for me it is novelty. A new video. A new idea. This is what triggers the part of my brain that doesn't want to escape PMO. The voice that says "it's not fair that you've stopped PMO when this new thing is here for us to enjoy" activates in response to such things.

3. Lost Hope

Lost Hope Fapstronaut

Addiction, loneliness, frustration.

4. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We always have to give up something great. Our flesh says that ___ is great. The Bible says that having Jesus' fullness of joy in us for the whole month is great. I am really pushing my "The Bible says be filled with the Holy Spirit"
    articles because I want people to experience a few days, or weeks or months of something spectacular, powerful, and joyful.
    I have zero interest in giving up the purpose and joy that I now have. But... just two days ago I started slipping, and in that condition, I didn't care about the destruction P brings. I didn't remember that I would be lowering my joy for the month.
    That is why we work so hard to gain skills for quitting. I made it through that rotten day and the next day remembered what I really want and how great it really is.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  5. batsy64

batsy64 Fapstronaut

Lonliness, frustration, depression, being idle

6. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

There is a church saying: Jesus is all I need. For most people, it is partially true at best.
    But for people who fight to be filled with the Spirit and who fight to find their purpose. The saying becomes completely true.
    Pray to be filled with the Spirit to be empowered to help someone else's loneliness problem.
    God has something great for you (and everyone else) to do.

7. Lost Hope

Lost Hope Fapstronaut

How can i do that?

"Having first cast the beam out of your own eye, you can the better see to cast the mote out of your brother's eye"

True, but i don t know my purpose yet. I pray to find mine, i don t know what to do more than that.

8. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

I will be writing an article in about 1 week and I will address every single issue that anyone says causes them to fall. They will not be miracle cures, but... like I always do, I will try to come up with a bunch of stuff to pray about and work on.

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  9. I think right now my two triggers are stress from work (mostly caused by procrastination) and the appearance of my wife (get depressed and feel bad for myself). Neither are good reasons, but there they are. With work, I'm trying to stop procrastinating and be productive--God gave me a vocation, and I need to lean into it. With my wife, I need to learn to love and appreciate her--my addict brain wants "better," but she is what I need.

10. Oh, a third big trigger is all the attractive women at church. I'd have to say those three are my biggest triggers.

I am hoping that a reboot will help to fix all three of these issues: increase my ability to focus and concentrate on my work, be less affected when seeing other attractive women, and grow in my desire for my wife.

Thanks for your posts, @timcia .

11. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

90% of us need to pray 3 times a day: Father, take away this spirit of lust and help me to love my wife. That is what I strive to do.

12. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

My post today on thinking is timely for this. It is an issue what we think about. But it may be an even bigger issue that we are not thinking about what we should be thinking about.
    Thanks for the great comment. Tomorrow I will write about whether Christians miss out on pleasure or not.

13. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Someone noted in this thread that frustration made them fall. Their tip has caused me to write about overcoming frustration many times since then. If you share what causes you to fall you may be inspiring articles that help others.

Secondly, we will all try to give you tips to help your specific situation (if we can).

Thirdly, it is vital to get to the root cause of whether sin is involved in the situation. For example: You hate your job. You get frustrated, and that causes depression and you fall.

Instead, ask God how to handle this situation. Pray: “Father, show me how to change so that I don't get so frustrated with this situation.” Next, get wisdom from the Word. The Bible says: "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."

Fourthly – purpose. Are you available for the Holy Spirit to work through you at work? When someone seems down, or when the Holy Spirit guides you, simply say something. If they say their life or situation sucks. You can say: “My faith really helps me through things like that.” If they show interest allow the Holy Spirit to speak through you. Simply start telling them how prayer, Bible study, and your relationship with Christ have helped you. If they need something special, the Holy Spirit will tell you what to tell them.

Lastly, go to war with what causes frustration. Pray constantly about these triggers and do internet searches to learn how to fight the things that cause you to fall.

Study, pray, and fight frustration. If you consistently do that, the Holy Spirit will start to show you clearly how to overcome.

14. -Video games (but not in social situations)
    -Being too long without God
    -Tolerating other sins
    -Laziness

15. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Video games in moderation are okay. Many people sometimes get into excess. In excess they are exhausting. If they lead to sin you can try this rule. If I go past my deadline to stop it is borderline sin. Lastly, it is interesting to look up Bible verses about playing and games.
    Praying to stop on time helps a lot of people. But once you blow past your deadline the prayers may start to be less effective.

16. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

Great difficulties in my fight against PMO are caused by my anxious, nervous, irritable and tendentially melancholy nature.
    Are there any of you who are in the same condition as me?

If I didn't have this disposition, I am convinced that my fight at the PMO would be much easier.

17. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  18. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Jesus sacrificed His body on the cross for us. The absolute least we can do in return for Him is to take quitting seriously.

Satan uses the same tricks time after time to get us to fall. If you fall, consider sacrificing a few minutes to write down in a notebook exactly what led up to it. Second, tell someone here what happened and ask for tips about what to do next time in a situation like that. Third, spend some time in prayer and ask God what you should have done. Fourth, do research on what made you fall. If loneliness overwhelmed you, determine to look up verses about loneliness next time. Fifth, think and pray about which Christian trait you need to be stronger in the next time you are in a similar situation. Pray about how often you need to pray about acquiring that trait. Sixth, we always have a choice of running from sin and studying things at this site. When we choose the wrong thing… destruction happens. Write down in your notebook how you feel about the darkness and destruction and future destruction that is still coming. Consider praying: “Father help me to not overestimate the (very short-term) pleasure of lust, and help me to not underestimate the problems it always causes.”

Consider printing out this list and putting it in your notebook. Seventh, write down the answer to every question about what happened. Eighth, spend three or four days adding to your notes as you continue to pray, think, and plan.

Finally, when a similar situation happens again… get out your notebook and read your prophecy about your future. Then write down your new ending.

I refuse to underestimate the negative long-term effects of lust. It is the least that I can do after what Jesus did for me!

Please share what causes you to fall.

Tao Jones likes this.
  19. Stressful interactions with those close to me are a huge trigger for me. Those are the times I need to be most on guard. And when I am very tired in the middle of the day, which thankfully happens very seldom.

timcia likes this.