1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Temptation is Normal but it Must be Controlled with Goals/Purpose

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Temptation in whatever form, whether it be desires of lust, greed for things or greed for knowledge is normal. We are not bad people because we have temptations. Indeed, these temptations are God given. Without temptation we would not be humans. Even our blessed Lord was tempted. Indeed, that is one of the many reasons He is the one true God. No other religious leader is the Son of God and none came down from heaven to live the life of a human with all of our temptations and troubles. He knows our problems first hand and He showed us how to overcome them solely because He wants our souls to return home.

Our temptations come from the body and they can lead to good things when we make the body serve the soul. This is our challenge, to control our urges and temptations for the benefit of the soul and the glorification of God.

The quest for knowledge is good if it isn't allowed to turn into pride. The desires of the flesh can be good things when they are channeled into a wholesome marriage or even better when they are curbed by truly dedicated people, such as nuns and priests, as a sacrifice for God. Even greed can be channeled into good if the accumulation of wealth is then used to provide for a family and charity for others.

Man is a complicated being. We are not plants or animals whose goals in life are essentially predetermined. We need a goal for ourselves. Goals that master our desires for the benefit of our souls and the glorification of God.

Congratulations to all of you on this site, because you have a goal, a purpose in life, or you are seeking one. What is the purpose you have chosen for your life?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

Thank you @CPilot you're really a Godsent to this group.

3. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

My goal is to do the will of God.
    Just the will of God at any cost.
    My addiction of 20 years has stood in the way unfortunately.
    Making it incredibly difficult.
    Please pray for me.

lord help me likes this.
  4. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I had this addiction for much longer than your good self. Despite that, I think I have done some good things in my life (and some things I deeply regret) but I also see that I could have done those things so much better if I hadn't separated myself from God in this way.

I think a goal of doing God's will is the right one for all believers. It is my goal too. I can see that God has called me to be a loving husband and father but I think that I must do more to define what the achievement of these goals looks like. I pray that I may be given a chance to undo any damage I did to my family as a consequence of my sins. One huge metric, in this aim, would be to draw my children back to the church. They are all adults and I know they can't be forced back to the faith; that approach never works anyway. So, I feel I must set such a compelling example that they choose to come back. This is one of my guiding goals - please pray for me as I pray for you. These are not easy goals but then that means they are probably worthwhile.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  5. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

I will pray for you.

lord help me and Reb10 like this.
  6. JoeXavier

JoeXavier Fapstronaut

Thank you brother! Really appreciate it.

7. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

This is a very difficult question to answer.
    I am over 35 years old but I have never been able to give an answer ...

How is it possible?
    How can I solve this dilemma?

8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Don't despair. Christ has not given up on you. It took me 50 years to gain some control over this addiction. If Our Precious Lord waited patiently for 50 years while I rebuked Him, sometimes daily, He will certainly wait for you to quit this sin and come to Him. The answer you seek begins and is maintained by prayer. Beautiful, heartfelt, fervent, frequent and sustained prayer! If you aren't familiar with the acronym A.C.T.S. as a formula for composing your own prayers, please google it. It is powerful and I have found the sequence is quite important. Prewritten Catholic prayers are great too, but I find that I must compose my own prayers to enter into a real healing conversation with Our Precious Lord.

You also need a practical structure/methodology for your prayers and for that I recommend you search this site for " Mr. Eko's Catholic method". It was the thing I needed to get serious about my journey to quit PMO.

Lastly, I believe that we must recognize we are addicts and just like any other addiction, we cannot afford to expose ourselves to temptation. A recovered alcoholic doesn't choose to spend time in a bar with the smell of alcohol in the air. A PMO addict cannot allow themselves to stare at images and people that ignite our fantasies. Personally, I must examine my conscience daily to consider where I may be allowing myself to get close to the flame and take steps not to repeat it. I find there is always room for improvement here.

Keli likes this.
  9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

To be a compelling example for one's children is a base but it's not enough. For example Jesus - He was in those times 2000 years ago the most compelling example for disciples, supporters which didn't mean that they kept their faith in Him or lived according to His teaching. Let's take for example when Jesus said this - John 6,53 - 66: '... Whoever eats My flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.....On hearing it, many of His disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?......From this time many of His disciples turned back and no longer followed Him.'
    and let's look at this which Jesus said in this context: John 6,65 - ' He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless the Father has enabled them.”
    So without God's grace coming (back) to Him is impossible. Our even most compelling example is only something which facilitates the faith of somebody else but it cannot cause it. The only cause is God's grace. Our good example is like preparing the soil for growing plants. We can fertilize it, water it .... and waiting for the Sun. Without the Sun even the most prepared soil has no possibility to grow plants. It's like trying to grow plants in a dark basement.
    In Poland it's popular among believers to pray each day a decade of rosary for all children from 20 families. 20 married couples join (they don't need to know each other and don't need to live in the same place ). And you've got each day 40 people who pray for your children and you pray each day for your own and the other children from the 20 families. Even if some drop prayer occasionally then most people pray. Each month there is a change of rosary mistery and there is a couple who coordinats 'the family rosary' per emails. We have been in such a family rosary group for over a dozen years. This is only one possibility but for sure: beside one's good example there must be a daily prayer for one's children. We look for our children (giving them food, clothes, textbooks etc.) every day without exception and the same it MUST be with our prayer for them. As long as our children live with us there MUST be a joint prayer of the whole family EVERY DAY. If our children don't live with us we are limited to daily prayer for them.

Only prayer for our children without personal example - it doesn't work
    Only personal example but neglecting daily prayer for our children - it doesn't work

prayer for them + personal example - it works

Not to mention that personal example without being on the path to sanctity day after day is only an illusion and wishful thinking.
    But what to do when we try to be a good example for our children and pray for them daily but they don't come back to God?
    Not to give up and continue doing this - I strongly believe that at least in the last minute our child lives on this earth he will be able to accept God's grace we have prayed for so long and can be saved - but this is an extreme situation althout not to exclude.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Keli likes this.
  10. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Wise words, as always, my friend. There is certainly room for improvement in my daily prayer routine and the rosary is a key component. Please pray for my family as I will pray for yours and let us not forget to pray for everyone visiting this site. They all have the spark of grace as evidenced by a desire to break the chains of this insidious sin and as we know first hand it can be a long process.

As for our children coming to the Lord at the last minute of their lives, I can testify that this is possible. More so, when a parent loses a child, the knowledge that they have embraced the Lord is the single consolation of any value whatsoever.