1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The problem with most people here.....

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Beekind, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

.....they want to bench press 250 pounds as soon as they join the gym and then scold themselves because they couldn't.
    Most of the posts here on this forum are of people who want to jump from misery to happiness in one go.

It doesn't work.

You have to give yourself at least 2-3 years.
    You have to do the boring work every single day.
    Breathing - meditation- affirmations- mantras - exercise- reading. Reducing social media. Reducing tv time and connecting with people and nature.

The brain takes time to adapt. Be patient.
    Fail and fail and fail and then fail some more.
    What is few years of "failing" compared to a life of misery?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  2. You re totally right brother

devsMind and Beekind like this.
  3. L@veHerB3tter

L@veHerB3tter Fapstronaut

*humbly accepts slap in the face*

You only get this one though

devsMind likes this.
  4. Tuvok

Tuvok Fapstronaut

The same mindset that sees a guy with 10 million dollars in his bank account and a successful business and calls him lucky.

sclguy, Beekind, again and 1 other person like this.
  5. Don'tLookBack

Don'tLookBack Fapstronaut

I've been keeping track of my streak history in my signature. As you see, I've been struggling hardcore the past week. But this post was very timely. I am absolutely sick of this addiction, and I can't bend to the will of my carnal desires anymore. I have to change my whole lifestyle. Like you said, do the boring work. Freedom doesn't come at the flip of a switch, but I know I can get there.

Wilderness Wanderer and Beekind like this.
  6. Legacy of Lost Soul

Legacy of Lost Soul Fapstronaut

5 years in... still a lots of work ahead of me. I remember being the person u describe. When someone told me back than, that my recovery might take years, I was enraged.

Beekind likes this.
  7. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

@Legacy of Lost Soul That is what upsets me about some people here.
    I tell them that it may take up to 3 years and they think i don't know what i am talking about.

8. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Keep going mate.
    It is when the boring stuff start to become fun, that you will start seeing results

9. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Exactly. Success leaves clues.

10. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Please elaborate.

11. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

Yep, it takes as long as it takes. Your life might turn around in 1 year or it might turn around in 3. You might get lucky with networking and get that dream job faster than you thought, or you might be job searching for an entire year, the list goes on. The time is gonna pass either way. All we can really do is take it day by day, and make the next moment intentional. And it wasn't mentioned, but I see a lot of perfectionism and idealistic goals on here, and I think that needs to stop too if anyone wants to actually make meaningful strides. Much better you do 50% of what you set out to do than 0% because you refused to do anything less than perfect.

12. Archangel VIII

Archangel VIII Fapstronaut

Yeah. I try to constantly remind myself that NoFap (and my fitness goals) is a marathon, not a sprint.

Beekind likes this.
  13. I agree with this mindset here. I was always stuck because i demanded perfection that i never began. Thank you @PegasusKid for the line on doing small things '50% instead of 0%'. The baby steps slow way is the best way to get moving.

I always focus on the end result instead of the beginning steps.

Thanks guys for helping me putting my goals into a better perspective.

Beekind likes this.
  14. L@veHerB3tter

L@veHerB3tter Fapstronaut

I got a weird sense of humor man my bad

The o/p was enlightening.

The joke was about you only getting one free slap before I slap back lol

Beekind likes this.
  15. Legacy of Lost Soul

Being told your recovery will take years - its a freaking hard pill to swallow man...

Opinions of ppl who did not walk the path are worthless.

You are even generous when u say "up to 3 years" :) Im the example of 5 years recovery and Im still in progress..

Psalm27:1my light and Beekind like this.
  16. devsMind

devsMind Fapstronaut

I’ve gone through this thread and pretty much agree with all what has been said but one question arises from my side:

What is actually definition of success in NoFap?
    How to know if one succeeded?
    I am guessing that neither “90 days challenge” nor “you will never ever crave for PMO” are not correct answers or am I missing something?

Wishing all Good Luck and take care!

17. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Success on nofap is the process of rewiring the brain so that it stops escaping to pleasure, every time stress arises.
    This is why it takes time.

For some it will never happen, but that doesn't mean they have entirely failed. They have raised the threshold to stress and now they only relapse when the stress is very high, rather than escaping at any hint of stress.

Kadampa, hollyman, Reborn16 and 2 others like this.
  18. Legacy of Lost Soul

Different people, different goals. Reaching that goal = success.

19. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

You are right.
    That is why i said that not reaching the lofty goal of total self reliance, is still success, because at least your are not fully reliant on p to manage your stress.

Legacy of Lost Soul and devsMind like this.
  20. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

This is a very good summary of the process! should be pinned up somewhere!

I agree with the idea that success usually takes years with NoFap. When I see a thread about someone with a real struggle, I often recommend writing down an outlook for how they want to live in 5 years time - then working backwards from that to see what they can change this year, month, week, and today...

Beekind and devsMind like this.