1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like you don't fit in this world?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by lonercub, Dec 16, 2021.

1. lonercub

lonercub Fapstronaut

Feeling depressed lately.

I have low self-esteem. Many times I look at others and see them much superior to myself.

For example at work, sometimes I see the detail in which things need to be done, or the enthusiams people have for their work, and I am like, I just don't care. Like it's amazing how some tasks require so much attention and time and I'm like, how people even care to put so much effort into such things.

Now you might say, probably loss of motivation is common, but is having so much enthusiuam, ambition and motivation for work even good for us? I honestly find it meaningless.

The seeker likes this.
  2. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

Someone told me recently they never worked a day in their life. That was after a career in 9-5. They just really wanted to make a difference in that industry and the people it affected...

I guess it depends how you value what you're putting your time & energy into.

Making a million bucks while screwing over small villages and bulldozing the rainforest, or volunteering for free while you help a charity and see the differences you make in person.

You might find something in the middle. Make some money to support a good lifestyle, and be proud of how you did it.

Then again, sometimes an experience working at an unfulfilling place can inspire one to seek an alternative! Working at Amazon Fulfillment Center - SOUTH PARK - YouTube

The seeker and DeeJ4y like this.
  3. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

Sometimes you need a job that will give you a living. But if you do not feel like it is your purpose or in some way giving something to your purpose then I think you should consider other options. To quote Big Sean from all the people, "to me working is a purpose if is not then it is worthless". Everything we do here on earth is our purpose here. Do you have plans that excite you? What do you enjoy? I have also been in phases where I had no goals to aim at. I still sometimes do. It is normal and that is the only way to guide us to think about what exactly we want in life. These are difficult things so do not feel bad for having to struggle thinking about them. I just hope you believe me that it serves a purpose to finding your purpose.

4. beaverreaver

beaverreaver Fapstronaut

You're feeling depressed and your counter says 0 days. Do you think that these thoughts will last after you come out of the depression? I doubt it, and hopefully we see you having all the ambition and motivation you ever needed after few months.

5. Improv3r

Improv3r Fapstronaut

Most of us feel depressed lately that's not just you. The times we live in definitely takes its toll on us.
    I have low self-esteem as well but thinking others to be superior hardly. I wanted to ask you a question so I can determine if you feel the same:

Do you feel others are superior than you in your work or superior in general? Many times I thought others being superior in terms of COMMUNICATION rather than anything else.
    In fact most of the time I KNOW I am superior to them for anything else but don't show it off. In terms of communication though I sometimes feel I lack it.
    So think on that too.

People that worked longer than you or have higher drive in your chosen field will normally see stuff in bigger detail. That shouldn't be a downer for you.
    For enthusiasm though I agree with my peers that you need to think if what you are doing is making you happy at all or you just live it day by day.
    Plus don't beat yourself too much about it. There are people that would think YOU crazy for the stuff you put effort into.
    For example I put effort in being good in a video game. There are people who would think I am mental and wasting my precious time on Earth.
    Which they probably are right for but meh... Get my point?

It is both meaningless and not so much! Let me explain why...
    Working 9-5 is completely meaningless when you put it on a scale YOU compared to someone that is RICH.
    There are rich people that haven't moved their finger and have mountains of money. Think Kendall Jenner who is like a billionaire for what... being pretty?
    Or being from a famous family? You have probably more skill than her in anything really but it is what it is. 9-5 is for poorer folk or say the middle society.
    Ofcourse there are rich people that bust their asses working even longer but those are the leaders, the drivers of society which we are not.
    Normal jobs that will not make you rich ever (the 9-5ers) are basically to keep poorer folk occupied plus someone HAS to do it.
    Until we have robots doing it for us there are jobs that HAVE to be done and we can't ALL be rich and famous and sit around doing nothing... someone has to work in the pit.
    While you waste your life doing this there are rich people that had awesome parties, orgies and whatnot that you would never be a part of until you die but life is life.
    You just popped up here with us middle people and have to slave it off but who cares... I mean it is what it is.

Now in terms of why it is NOT meaningless is because you get a lot of skills during the whole process and I don't mean just job skills I mean people and mental skills.
    You get stronger, faster in doing tasks, your mind races, you get more analytical and stuff and you in general become better human being.
    You start to view life and its everyday chores differently but that in turn makes you think about the world in different perspective.
    I have a friend that hasn't worked a single day in his life and he is 32 years old!
    His views about life, relationships, work etc. are so skewed it's sometimes difficult to have a normal conversation with. You see what I mean?
    Most people avoid him maybe for a good reason but he is not a bad person! In fact he is a good friend and good listener. That doesn't make him bad per se.
    There are gurus out there in YouTube and whatnot that will tell you you have to cut such people from your life 100% of cases! Family or friends alike!
    But very few of us are going to consciously make that choice. I know I won't because I am an empathy guy myself. Some would say I am weak willed.

So yeah enough ranting... you are just a tiny speck in a solar system and a planet hurling around its orbit... everything is meaningless and yet it isn't.

P.S. - although we are in the NoFap forums don't think that stopping PMO is magically going to boost your confidence, drive and power.
    That's so much hocus pocus and unproven scientifically that we don't even have to go there although there are Fapstronauts that are going to tell me I am wrong.
    Just go with the flow and take care!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  6. redskins2015

redskins2015 Fapstronaut

Learn to be present in whatever it is you do, be 100% …if it is your work, be all in abs do your best to at the very least be an ally for those that work around you….

If you want another job, something in your “passion”, put a 100% when you get home from work or during any free time into searching and perusing another job (resume, applying, researching)….it’s when we feel we need to do something bout our situation and STILL don’t do anything about it, is when we feel down n depressed…because we are truly disappointed at ourselves…sometimes choosing the “easy” route and not taking action or procrastinating, feels good at the moment, for immediate gratification, but does nothing for our long term satisfaction and self esteem…just like…..you guessed it, NoFap…

Good luck and remember, nothing good in life comes taking the easy route. If it did…life would have nothing to teach us

7. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

I feel the same often. I won't use your post as a launching pad to rant about my own shit, but just know I've been in that same mindset for a while so I get it. A lot of people don't really get how depression works and that can certainly make you feel like you don't belong, like there's something about you that's just inferior or defective and you're just not on the same "level" as others so to speak. But your relation to other people does not justify or reject your worthiness as a human being. I hope you can find something that sparks that feeling of care for you, and life starts to seem a bit less bleak and a bit more impactful. I'm sure you can get there eventually.

8. New Journey

New Journey Fapstronaut

It really depends what you do in most cases, but not all. I used to work in an office and I hated it. Some people love their work. Some offices have award ceremonies and shit. I really couldn't care less. Work nights out? Again I couldn't give a shit. Just because you don't have enthusiasm could just means you need to find something else, but it could also mean you don't care about the corporate bollocks that companies try to spin on you to try and keep you motivated. Some people love it, some don't. Nobody likes a jobsworth at the end of the day.

Finding what you want in life is never going to be easy, although some people are lucky enough to know what they want as soon as they leave school. I've only just had a career change and I'm 35. Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs personality test? It won't change your life, but from experience, and from others I've spoken too, it helps to explain why you do certain things. https://www.16personalities.com/ If you do do it, just click on the first thing that comes to you - don't dwell on the question. I found it interesting anyway.