1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Financial Independence

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by CuckoldsSymphony, Jan 5, 2022.

1. CuckoldsSymphony

CuckoldsSymphony New Fapstronaut

Anyone into FI? I just turned 21 and recently got into track for financial independence. The things I plan to do this 2022:
    Open Roth IRA
    Open an investments account and contribute to it monthly
    Start budgeting for real. Every dollar gained and/or spent will be tracked
    Educate myself more on financial matters
    Learn to program (been trying since 2019 but always fail)
    If everything goes as planned open my own business

I have also some other things in mind for personal development such as :
    Reading more
    playing guitar
    exercise daily
    run or bike at least once a week
    eat healthier
    make friends (i literally have zero friends aside from workmates)

If anyone has the same goals as mine or just want to improve themselves then feel free to add me and we could be friends and chat from time to time.

2. There is always hope

There is always hope New Fapstronaut

I'm 18 & I work a small job (9 hours) & It doesn't pay shit. But it takes muscle to do the job so I choose to do it. I'll continue to do it for 3-5 more months as it'll help me elongate my streak & I have to pay off some debt. Then I plan to change jobs & educate myself about stonks & then invest & after that I wanna hit my peak physique by the time I'm 23-24. I haven't planned anything after that.

CuckoldsSymphony likes this.
  3. @CuckholdSymphony

If I would be your age, then start investing is definitely a good idea.

+

I would also consider watching this guy on youtube:

And concentrate on income streams. I mean, job will only pay you so much. Trust me, I have been in the trenches.

Consider to start working on one income stream. Then another. There is no better feeling than if you make 1/5 of your income in your job and the rest via investments. It has happened to me on several months in a row and it feels like a different world.

CuckoldsSymphony likes this.
  4. oldgoat14

oldgoat14 Fapstronaut

Check out the ChooseFI podcast/website.

5. Mozzy011

Mozzy011 Fapstronaut

Hey man, good for you love it been working on this myself for some time. keep us updated with how you go. I listened and still do to Dave Ramsey (He can be a bit annoying going on about God ect) but has good advice I am baby step 3 and nearly done that. some other good advice when you go shopping take a list and stick to it, you would be amazed how much stuff you buy when you are not disciplined with this. keep us posted mate you got this.

CuckoldsSymphony and tyler_007 like this.
  6. Rick Over

Rick Over Fapstronaut

You've mentioned IRA so I guess you're in the US. One thing about investing in retirement funds, you may not have access to them in an emergency, depending on your local and federal laws. Anyone looking at FIRE probably at some point comes across mention of Vanguard Investments. I'm not and never have been an employee of theirs so there's no incentive for me here to promote them other than to point them out as an option. For anyone wanting to invest in low cost index tracker funds, either as a direct investment or by investing in the stock market directly in the form of ETFs, they are a viable option for a lot of people.

I also found Bernstein's Four Pillars of Investing useful, though it is dated now - but the principles still hold.

7. alikaka

alikaka New Fapstronaut

I am 24 and I have been living on my own for 2 years now, the issue of financial literacy is very important in life, you have to allocate your finances wisely and preferably add more and more to them. During this time, I have learned something, such as saving. By looking at what I pay my energy supplier each month I decided to switch to a cheaper one, and use the money I saved to buy stocks and try to increase my income. The cheapest electricity supplier is Tonik Energy - a new company that aims to save its customers money by offering smart tips to reduce their overall energy consumption over time.

8. King in the making

King in the making Fapstronaut

There's an Youtube channel called 99 Bitcoins, you should definitely learn some stuff there.

9. King in the making

King in the making Fapstronaut

I'm very into investing but with a mindset of having a better standard of living in the future and doing lots of charity, instead of an early retirement idea.

10. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

I'm 24 and i'm on this track too.
    I started 2 years ago with the aim to be financially free, since i deeply believe that if you want to have a great life, the first thing you should achieve is freedom. Working 8 hrs a day, 5 or 6 days a week is not freedom to me

11. I started somewhat late like maybe mid twenties but so far I've made it my goal to max out my Roth IRA and have done so for 3 consecutive years. I wish I would've known about it sooner and started much earlier because of the compound interest. Still better late than never. As for regular brokerage, low cost broad index funds is one of the typical choices

DiegoSR likes this.
  12. If you haven't already, you should check out Graham Stephan on YouTube. He's my favorite finance advisor on there.

13. hewm

hewm Fapstronaut

I'm casually reading The Millionaire Fastlane as an e-book.
    It says that the real money is in creating your own business. Investing is get rich slow.

My thoughts so far are:
    We shouldn't waste time studying investing. Just chose a few robo-advisors and put our money there.
    Instead, use all your brains and time to create a business.

14. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

What level of programming are we talking about here? The basic stuff is really easy if you find a good online course and some time and motivation.