1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking criticism

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by sam30, Jan 8, 2022.

1. sam30

sam30 Fapstronaut

Why do people like to criticise others? Does this mean the person is insecure and they are projecting their problems onto other? If they do how would you deal with it each every time when you take it in?

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  2. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

I think it depends. When someone that I care about points out something I'm doing wrong in a polite way, I appreciate it because they want me to improve. But I think you are right most people do it just to feel better themselves and belittle others. Now I just try to ignore those people, they are easy to identify and are not worth the trouble

sam30 and Akbarmagnus like this.
  3. FezMan76

FezMan76 Fapstronaut

It depends on the type of criticism. Constructive criticism, even if given in a way that can be perceived as harshly can still help you to fix issues in sports, school, work, and even life. It's much better to be given the chance to fix something now by being aware of it than to suffer the consequences of it later.
    However, you will meet toxic people in your life that will criticize you for small, insignificant things, mostly for not doing things their way. In that case you should just ignore the so called "advice" and move on. Oftentimes if you fire back at them with something it will only lead to further dispute that may drag you down and ruin your day.

In short, accept the advice that will help you improve, not the one that brings you down. Reflect on your actions and behavior to see if you really could've done things better.

sam30 and Akbarmagnus like this.
  4. 1. Criticism is not an issue.

2. Giving and receiving Criticism are skills with a learning curve.

3. People are notoriously bad at:
    A. Communication.
    B. Big Ego.
    C. Being illogical.

4. In other words, we were not made to handle it well.

5. In the past, criticism was closely connected to social status.

6. There was no evolutionary insentive for us to develop that skill.

7. In other words, Criticism goes against everything humanity's past stands for.

I am speaking from the middle class point of view.
    I believe that the self-made rich class will have a different point of view. (more experience)