1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

JW2021 Bodybuilding Log - Training for Size and Strength

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by jw2021, Dec 20, 2021.

1. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

I can see a lot of change so far. At the time, I am not ripped at all. I am actually bulking or trying to put on size. My intention is to bulk up to around 225 and then I will change up my diet and workout to reduce bodyfat.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  2. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

1/10/21

Day 2 - Quads
    Squat
    175lbs x 5
    195 x 4
    215 x 3
    235 x 2
    255 x 1
    Standing Calf Raise
    255 x 8
    Leg Extension
    135 x 8
    Dumbbell Curl
    35 x 5

I had a very good workout today. It took about 20 minutes. I forgot to check and log the time. It is nice to throw some weight on the bar for my squats. I could have done more but it is all about progression for me.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  3. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

1/11/21

I decided to weigh in and take measurements today. I am 3 weeks in on this training cycle. Just for clarification, I am trying to bulk up on this cycle.

Beginning measurements are on left and new measurement on right

Arm 15-1/4 - 15-5/8
    Forearm 12-1/2 - 12-3/4
    Wrist 7-1/4 - 7-3/8
    Shoulders 51 - 52-1/4
    Stomach 37 - 36-3/4
    Waist 36-1/2 - 36-1/2
    Thigh 24-1/2 - 25-1/4
    Calf 15-3/4 - 16-1/8
    Neck 16-1/4 - 16-1/2
    Weight 190 - 196

Good results so far. In the last week, I am up 1lb in bodyweight and I made small gains in arm, shoulders, and thigh. A unintentional bonus is I dropped 1/4 in my stomach. I'm happy with these results. I am noticing a lot of difference in what I see in the mirror.

I think I could have done much better though. I missed some workouts last week and my diet was off. I had some missed meals and hardly drank my protein shakes.

This is one of the reasons I take measurements every week. If I get off track, it will show up in my results and I can make a shift. I would rather make the shift now than later.

One big positive from the last week is the strength gains I made. In my experience, if I nourish my body properly the size will follow. On to a new week.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  4. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Workout 1/11/21

Day 3 - Chest and Lats
    Bench Press
    115lbs x 5
    120 x 4
    125 x 3
    130 x 2
    135 x 1
    Lat Pulldown
    120, 2 sets 8
    Dips
    2 reps
    Cable Flies
    50, 2 sets 8
    Seated Lat Row
    130, 2 sets 8
    Tricep Press
    60 x 8

Very good workout. I am really adding some weight to the bar! Of course, the place I am heading is somewhere I have already been so I expect size and strength to come back quickly. Wednesday is a planned day off:)

Ketherlonk likes this.
  5. Ketherlonk

Ketherlonk Fapstronaut

Awesome JW. It must feel great to feel your strength and your body coming back!

6. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Yes, it is a great feeling. I didn't think it was possible a year ago. I thought I was done concerning bodybuilding. I had a hard time just getting through the day with work and such. It turns out it was my PMO habit that was draining my energy.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  7. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

Thank you for this journal! You're a big inspiration, and your progress only confirms it!

jw2021 and Ketherlonk like this.
  8. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

01/13/22

Day 4 - Shoulders Traps
    Military Press
    115lbs x 5
    120 x 4
    125 x 3
    1 Arm Dumbell Lateral Raise
    25 x 6
    Wide Grip Upright Rows
    125 x 8
    Shrugs
    185 x 8
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl
    35 x 5

I had a good and quick workout today. I powered right through the lifts. I have made good size and strength gains in this cycle. I can tell my body is getting tired. Once the body puts on so much size, it just doesn't want to put on any more. Once you have used the preworkout supplements, the body starts to get a tolerance to them as well. I am likely to start a deload soon. The purpose is to back off to a moderate weight and give my body a break from supplements with the exception of the multi vitamins. We will see how things go!

Ketherlonk likes this.
  9. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Day 5 - Hams
    Dead Lift
    155lbs x 5
    165 x 5
    175 x 5
    Leg Curl
    60 x 8
    Calf Extension
    225, 2 sets 8
    Reverse Curl
    70 x 5

Today is 1-17-22. I took 4 days off from the gym. I had a tough 4 days for one and also I felt like my body just needed a little rest. All is good now and I plan to resume normal workouts. I am about 4 weeks in and I am going to stop bulking for now and give my body a break. I am up about 5-7 lbs and look much better in the mirror. I am going to go back to a regular diet and still try to gain some strength. Once I start plateauing, I will do a deload cycle. I had a good lift today. The hardest part about my deadlifts is my hands are weak and it is tough to hold the bar. I may have to resort to wraps. We will see.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  10. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Just a update. I have been away from the gym a few days. I took a medicine that has completely wiped me out for the last two days. I'm giving my body a chance to heal up and then I am going to go again.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  11. Ketherlonk

Ketherlonk Fapstronaut

Good luck man. "See you in the gym" hopefully soon, haha :)

jw2021 likes this.
  12. Ketherlonk

Ketherlonk Fapstronaut

Hey JW, I finally got myself some creatine (monohydrate), I read some published research on it and am feeling quite confident now about its safety etc. I read that the recommended protocol is (1) load with 20 g/day for about 5 days, then (2) take 5 g/day to maintain your level. My question is, does is matter when you take it, i.e. before/after meals, before/after workouts, bed, etc.? Also whether it's better if you drink it with juice or water (I have the powder).

Have2stop likes this.
  13. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

There is a lot of debate and discussion on creatine. I do not use it by itself anymore because I feel there is a sufficient amount in the supplements I already use. I used creatine when it first came out. I loaded with 5g twice a day for about a week and then I went to 5g a day after words. My preference was to take one 5g dose immediately after a workout. Back in the day, I took mine with grape Koolaid:D. Most people I know took theirs with water.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  14. Ketherlonk

Ketherlonk Fapstronaut

Awesome, thanks. I have a lot of Gatorade in the house, so I think I'll drink it with that, not too far off the Koolaid :)

15. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

I really like the Gatorade idea. I will try that if I ever use creatine standalone again.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  16. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Wow, I have totally fell off the wagon with this workout log. It is time to pick up the pieces, put them back together, and go again! If you follow my journal, you will know I started a 88 day challenge to improve my business and life here at home. I set a very rigorous schedule for myself! It worked for a few weeks because my body was built up. I ended up running my body down and now here I am.

I am going to get started back today. I had planned to do a deload but no need for that. It has been over a month since I worked out. I am simply going to start again and plan for better results this time. I have once again convinced myself that a run down and weak body will not perform well when working hard to reach ones goals.

I want to apologize to all those who were following. I hope something I have done here has helped and will continue to help.

As always, I welcome comments and questions.

Ketherlonk likes this.
  17. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

I took measurements today. The first number is where I started when this log began and the second set on numbers are from today,

Arm 15-1/4 - 15-1/4
    Forearm 12-1/2 - 12-3/8
    Wrist 7-1/4 - 7-3/8
    Shoulders 51 - 51
    Stomach 37 - 36-1/2
    Waist 36-1/2 - 36-1/2
    Thigh 24-1/2 - 24-1/2
    Calf 15-3/4 - 15-7/8
    Neck 16-1/4 - 16-1/4
    Weight 190 - 189

Basically I lost all the progress I made physically. This is what happens when you do diet/training for a month and quit. Bodybuilding is something that must be committed to and become a part of your life or this will happen over and over. Enough of the negative.

I am starting back today. I imagine I retained a good deal of my strength. I am going to change my diet up a little to try to regain what I lost. Basically, my day will look like this,

Whole Food
    Training/Post Workout Shake
    Whole Food
    MRP Shake
    Whole Food
    MRP Shake

Three meals a day and three meal replacement shakes a day. I really want to bulk up and get back to where I was a few years ago. This will be the MRP I will start with,

1 Scoop Whey
    1/2 Oatmeal
    1.5 cups whole milk
    1 TBSP Peanut Butter
    1 TBSP Honey

All grinded up in a nutribullet. This should get some pounds back on me in a hurry!

Ketherlonk likes this.
  18. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

Day 6 - Upper Chest and Lats
    Incline Bench Press
    105lbs x 5
    110 x 3
    115 x 3
    120 x 2
    Behind Neck Lat Pulldown
    110 x 5
    Incline Cable Flies
    40 x 8
    Seated Undergrip Lateral Rows

Nice workout after being away for a while. The lat pulldowns were a bit of a strain for me but I think my body will recognize that it is game on again and I'll adapt to the weight and lifts quickly. It would be like it was when I first started this log because it had been years since I worked out.

A quick reflection

I've learned a hard lesson over and over again. I will workout and get my body strengthened. Then I get this goal and I want to put my full effort into the goal. I quit working out, quit eating right, and go after the goal 100%. I do great the first couple weeks and then my progress slows all the way down to a crawl. This happens because I neglect by body from exercise, proper nutrition, and sleep.

Here is the lesson. If I spend a little time exercising, eating right, and getting proper sleep, I get way more done. I get so much more done with a strong body vs a weak neglected body. May I never have to learn this brutal lesson again!

Ketherlonk likes this.
  19. Ketherlonk

Ketherlonk Fapstronaut

Awesome my friend. Welcome back to the gym :)

jw2021 likes this.
  20. jw2021

jw2021 Fapstronaut

It is great to be back. Fortunately I retained most of my strength it appears. Leg day may be challenging the first few days though. I expect the size to follow rapidly.

Ketherlonk likes this.