1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Asking her out - should I or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by confident_cobra, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Brief History: I used to go to this gym 4-5 days a week. Usually in the morning at around 6:30am. There used to be a girl in the gym that I used to fancy. She was stronger, taller than me. I used to think, if she can lift those weights, I should try to at least to match that. Then one day, I smiled and said hi to her, and she just gave me this smile that I have never seen anyone smile at me like that before. Like a shy smile and she walked away. Didn't say anything. I thought WOW! Could she be fancying me! But she was stronger than me, may be slightly taller than me as well. We won't make a good couple, right. Girls like guys who are stronger and taller than them, usually. So I dropped the thought of asking her out.

Current: It's been a year since I moved to a different suburb. I now go to a different gym. But I just can't stop thinking about her. And then have regretted deeply for not asking her out in the first place. But today, when I was at the gym, I thought do I still have a chance?

What it takes: It's been a year since I have seen her. Will she even remember me? To ask her out, I will have to go to her gym at around 6:00 am or so, and wait outside nearby. That's almost like stalking! Wouldn't it be too creepy? I really don't mind if she says sorry, she's got a boyfriend, or something like that. My biggest worry is, won't it be creepy just trying to do something stupid like this? When I was at the other gym before, I had a gazillion chances to have asked her out. But didn't. Now it's been over a year since I have seen her. It is crazy trying to do it now. Isn't it too little too late?

Most important. I don't want to come off like a creep. Any wisdom is most appreciated.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  2. Rents77

Rents77 Fapstronaut

That is good thinking...if you're looking to injure yourself in the gym.

In the gym, there's always hot girls with amazing bodies in those tight leggings. But gym is for workouts and and workouts only. If you're looking to date, sign up for dancing or any other type of "socializing" classes. Gyms for me have always been a big no-no.

Not to mention that it's been a year and the best I can say is "that ship has sailed". Seems you're holding on more to a memory than anything else, and you should instead look forward.

Best of luck to you!

3. Ngo27

Ngo27 Fapstronaut

Very true about the timing. It made me think about acting on my situation.

Akbarmagnus, coiled_cobra and Rents77 like this.
  4. Decided that it's not worth it, and the ship has definitely sailed. There will be other opportunities in the future, hopefully.

5. Starseeker

Starseeker Fapstronaut

I know you already made your decision, but i was in a somewhat similar situation recently - told the girl i wanted to date her, she basically told me she had a boyfriend now (and backhandedly told me that i probably had a shot back then but i'd caused that ship to sail by ignoring her all this while). For me that sense of closure both removed my doubts and gave me zero regrets, i actually wonder why i didn't do it earlier.

This is more for future reference about creepiness in general - sure it was going to be a little weird to drive to her gym at 6am just to ask her out now. But being creepy is usually less about WHAT you do specifically (unless it's something really crazy) and more about HOW you say or do that thing.

Like what i've noticed for me personally is the more self-conscious and worried you are about being creepy, the more your worry will lead you to doing some strange thing in the moment that will end up being perceived as creepy. Like imagine arriving at the gym and second guessing your decision, then you start walking towards the facility and then backtrack out of fear, and then walking back and forth towards the gym whilst trying to talk yourself into doing it until you spot the girl coming your way and then either - panic and duck away or suddenly switch up your behaviour and begin to approach her. Pretty weird looking, right?

Compare this to arriving to the gym in the morning, entering the gym to work out and then approaching her during a lull or break in the workout and going "hey, i remember seeing you around - it's been a while" and then shooting your shot then and there (or just asking her if she's doing anything after the gym and then taking her and shooting your shot) . I'd personally say it's not ideal to do so in the gym, maybe a lot scarier initially, but far less weird and maybe slightly cringy at best.

i'd honestly always pick the latter.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    lgustavoms and Akbarmagnus like this.
  6. Yes, confidence plays a big role. But in life, for some reason, some days I feel super confident and some days I feel like a loser. Next time, I will try to remember and ask myself, "How would a confident guy approach this situation?" and may be do it that way.

Akbarmagnus and Starseeker like this.
  7. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

When faced with a mountain. You have two options, walk away from that mountain or climb over that mountain.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  8. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

grandpa these days we just drill through the mountain.

9. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

I make mountains.

10. I’d say definitely visit the Gym again to see if she’s even there. Just confront her and look your best, shouldn’t be nervous or anything. Be excited! Like long time no see! Maybe ask her about her work outs, how much she’s benching or be silly and ask if she’s got abs yet. Woman love it when a man takes action to notice the good. Took me a while to realize this.

I had a similar experience at my gym days. I was working out with my Personal Trainer and this girl literally said “ Don’t mind me just a cute girl working out here.” I felt I missed out on a opportunity. I always kinda look back at it. She seemed a little feisty.

Starseeker likes this.