1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is traveling alone weird?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jrmz94, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Not weird at all! I would love to travel alone, but as a woman, I would be more concerned about safety issues. But even so, it would still be perfectly fine for me to do.

I think travelling alone is becoming more of a normal thing, however I will say, some people probably will find it weird still. But who cares?

I went to a women's faith conference alone once, out of town, and while I could have invited my mom or sister to go, I didn't, because I wanted to be alone. I ran into someone I knew there, and they asked if my mom was there. When I said no, that I was alone, she looked at me like it was super sad that I was alone and invited me to come sit by her. Lol I know she was just being polite, but I found it mildly insulting that it's seen as such a tragic thing for someone to be somewhere alone. I told her no thank you, I'm actually happy being alone.

So yeah, I'm sure some people will find it strange, but do it anyway. Just be cautious, for safety purposes, when travelling alone, and you'll be fine. I used to be weirded out about going to the movies by myself, even though I thought I would really enjoy it, because I dislike all the noises of going with other people (I have misophonia, which makes little sounds like that really difficult). But I finally did it once, and it was so enjoyable. Now I've gone many times since then.

All you have to do is take the leap once, get the awkwardness out of your system, and you'll come to see travelling solo as a normal practice for you. :)

Taylor25 and Buddhabro2.0 like this.
  2. Ohhhhh, that's what it's called. I have that too. I despise the sound of chewing/lip smacking.

EDIT: Upon further reading, maybe I don't? It's said to cause a strong emotional reaction that can impair socializing. For me, it just annoys the hell out of me. :emoji_laughing:

3. Lol yeah, you probably don't have misophonia. You would know if you did. It's pretty terrible. The best way I can describe it is that certain sounds give me the same physical reaction as you would get if someone was screaming an inch away from your face. Pounding heart, adrenaline spike, and intense anger. It's terrible.

I think most people have sounds like that that they dislike, but misophonia is quite a bit more extreme. It almost feels like you're literally being assaulted by sound, and you have a desperate need to escape, but you can't. I've even had this feeling from my own breathing, and even my own heart beat on occasion.

4. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

What's so weird about travelling alone?

I've done this myself a couple of times and it has given me a great feeling. I mean.. at least I won't have to rely on anyone else when it comes to going to places I want to be at by myself.

5. I highly recommend it! I've taken some amazing trips where I just wandered around a new country or city by myself. You can do what you want, when you want. You are not distracted and can observe the area and people in a more profound way in many respects.

Taylor25 and Will Cameron like this.
  6. Rehab101

Rehab101 Fapstronaut

I totally would except I have intense social anxiety. So far I forced myself to travel with partner intentionally. Bitter sweet overall.

7. Yumiyumi

Yumiyumi New Fapstronaut

I don't see anything terrible about being alone, either. I've been living on my own all my life. I travel by myself. It's very comfortable. You are only responsible for yourself. You go where you want to go. I used to love to travel across Canada. https://www.livinimmigration.ca/permanent-residence-in-canada/ Until I moved there myself. Good thing I was alone.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  8. I highly doubt solo traveling is weird. I am planning on visiting Romania as my foreign country to be on and it will be my first solo trip ever, especially in December 2022! What makes solo traveling worth it is to have your own freedom, and you don't even have to worry about someone traveling with you just hearing "Blah blah blah" the whole time. Eat food & drink, shopping, and walking are what make your solo trip magical. As a travel lover myself, I like to explore places where it's silent and peaceful, as well as visit the family.

I've never traveled outside of the USA and I only traveled to see families in the past. Yes, all solo also but that does not count as solo traveling because I consider it more as "international travel" for a reason. I haven't traveled since I visited California to see my mom and went to Disneyland for my 28th birthday in April 2019 and yes, that was way before the Covid19 pandemic.

9. I am planning to go to every island countries in the world. I want to go alone.

10. Kierann

Kierann Fapstronaut

I travel on my own every year for a couple of weeks to some exotic country. My last adventure was in January 2020 to Ghana, shortly before the pandemics started. And being on my own, I enjoy every single day. It's almost spiritual for me. My job is pretty social ( I'm a self- employed teacher) and I often use it as an excuse :D for spending a lot of time on my own. So I definitely have no problem travelling on my own. I love it. Is it weird? It might be for some people but it is who I am and I'm perfectly content with who I am.
    I would enjoy travelling with other people too but for the kind of journeys I have in mind it would really need to be very good friend/ like soulmate level and at this moment I don't really have these kind of people in my life.
    But don't get me wrong. I like people (well from time to time :D) and I make bunch of new friends on each of my adventures. More and more I believe that sooner or later I will find some cool travelling companions right during the voyage and will stick to them in the future too.
    Personally I believe that it is very important to be able to be alone and also to be able to hang out with other people, especially in this order.
    Only yesterday I was checking Nicaragua for summer 2023. Join me guys. Food for one day for 10 dollars, cool volcanoes, super friendly people, fresh air, passion for life, freedom, reboot...only sky is the limit. :)

Rehab101 and Taylor25 like this.