1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Non religious fapstronauts out there?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Gleemonex95, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ColeO

ColeO Fapstronaut

Like I said, I became Atheist for a few reasons because I can't just say "I don't believe in God" just because I'm not getting the results I want. But I appreciate your respect man, and yes inner strength is everything. If you don't have a good foundation you'll crumble, even with people helping to hold you up.

2. AmazingFapMan

AmazingFapMan Fapstronaut

I'm Celtic Pagan, myself. While not non-religious, I'm different from, say, Christians because in paganism we celebrate sex. One of our "holy days", called sabbats, is about the Goddess and God coming together and making love and bringing life to the world. Often, if two pagans are in love, they too with have sex on that day.

As such pagans have a much more open mindedness about sex than many other religions. Sex in any form, as long as it is between connecting parties, is totally fine and, as I said, celebrated. Even fapping,in a way, is celebrated. It depends on the individual, but masturbation in ritual can be a celebration of the ability to bring life, dedication of the intimate nature of sex to the Goddess or simply using the sexual energy (there is a lot about energy and its uses in paganism) as a ritualistic/magical power.

This is one of the reasons why, in my introductory post, I said that to stop fapping isn't my main goal.

3. fapcultative

fapcultative Fapstronaut

You did well, you took the control over your life, and you are the only one who can and should do it.
    Prey and God's advice must be just a "complent" to YOUR life (If you need it)

so what for do you have a GPS navigator in your car? to go where YOU want to go but with help if tou need it:D

4. CosmicWisdom323

CosmicWisdom323 Fapstronaut

I see that there is some discussing here about creation. Below is an argument I formulated regarding creation.

Creation: The action or process of bringing something into existence.
    Starting Axiom: The Universe exists. (Assumed to be True)
    Given that the Universe exists, we have two options:
    Option 1: The Universe was not created, and has always existed.
    Option 2: The Universe was created, and came into existence at some point in time.
    Modern cosmology, primarily the Big Bang Theory and Inflation Theory, imply that the Universe came into existence approximately 14 billion years ago.
    If we accept that the Universe came into existence approximately 14 billion years ago, then we have two options:
    Option 1: The Universe was created by nothing.
    Option 2: The Universe was created by something.
    If we accept Option 1: The Universe was created by nothing, we have ended our discussion on the topic. However, to me, this solution seems deeply unsatisfying, and also does not explain how something came from nothing.
    If we accept Option 2: The Universe was created by something, we must then ask, what created this “something”. To simply our discussion, let us refer to this “something” as the Creating Force. Again we have two options:
    Option 1: The Creating Force is eternal, and has always existed.
    Option 2: The Creating Force was itself created by something else.
    If we accept Option 1: The Creating Force is eternal, then we have again ended our discussion on the topic.
    If we accept Option 2: The Creating Force was itself created by something else, we again must ask what created this “something else” and again we have the same two options as above leading to an infinite regression of creating forces. At some point we must accept the impossibility of an infinite regression of creating forces and conclude that there is a Primary Force of Creation that is itself uncreated possessing eternal existence.
    Therefore since the Universe exists and came into existence approximately 14 billion years ago, we have only two options to explain this:
    Option 1: The Universe was created from nothing.
    Option 2: The Universe was created through some chain of creation events beginning with an Eternal, Creative Force.

5. pauts

pauts Fapstronaut

Wrong. The Universe in its present state started 14 billion years ago. It is not known what was before, it might have existed forever in a different state.

JRtheFox likes this.
  6. quin

quin Fapstronaut

I was barely raised Catholic but never really bought it...even when I had to go to Sunday school. I eventually was totally atheist for many years. I eventually started to dig deeper into reality and the mind while exploring the past and present histories of cultures all around the world and started to practice a few forms of non-religious/deity-less magick. Now, I've been incorporating a path of esoteric Buddhism into my life called Dzogchen. Its all about developing a perfect balanced state of being. A tremendous task especially for a westerner. Its not really a religion, but is a path stemming from Buddhism. In fact, it was driven underground for quite some time.

But anyway, I'm giving up pmo because I personally just find it to be abrasive and deformative to the mind and I simply cannot allow something so stupid to corrupt my life and my body. If some people want to use God in this and it works for them, then that rules. But overall, I think the drive to quit pmo, at its core, is an intuitive receptiveness of your own higher self letting you know what you need to do.

7. CosmicWisdom323

CosmicWisdom323 Fapstronaut

Hi Pauts,

It is true that the universe in its present state started 14 billion years. It is true that it is not known what was before. So it agree it was created or came into existence at a point in time.

So what caused it? Either something or nothing. The something, what I called a creative force, could be anything...say an endless, eternal cycle of big bangs and big crunches...or M Theory Branes repeated colliding into each other for eternity.

Thus the argument remains solid and you actually agree with the conclusion "The Universe was created through some chain of creation events beginning with an Eternal, Creative Force." when you say "it might have existed for ever in a different state." That state would be the eternalness that eventually resulted in the creation of our universe.

8. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

9. I'm not sure if a cause/effect relationship is the proper way to look at it. Human minds are pretty limited in this capacity, it's great to use philosophical deduction to try to reach a conclusion here, but I don't think it works. I've taken a philosophy of religion class and most Christians that accept the Big Bang Theory claim that God exists outside of Time and Space (not entirely relevant, but I think it shows the kind of philosophical acrobatics you can play here).

Because we are limited to our perception of the 4th dimension, and have barely a functional awareness of the higher dimensions, I don't think we can assume anything now. The human urge to reach a conclusion now, to have absolute knowledge now is what is preventing us from getting a true understanding of the reality we live in. It may well be that we are not evolved adequately or our understanding of mathematics/physics is too rudimentary to make any assumptions.

I think understanding of the universe comes from ideas that can't be expressed with words because language is inherently limiting. That is why I reject the notion that you can view everything in a cause/effect context or a causal chain. We were evolved to understand cause/effect because it had its uses in our early stages, but I do not believe it reflects the Greater Reality.

10. law_001

law_001 Fapstronaut

LOL!!
    I can't agree with you more, you made my day, now I am an atheist.

Whom do you pray to?
    Of whom are you afraid?
    You alone are your enemy
    You alone are your friend.

Hope I make some sense to you

11. Morrow

Morrow Fapstronaut

Hi, Im atheist too. But I think its maybe nearly the same for religious and unreligious people, when we see God not as an external but an internal power that is rooted in your mind and gives you some ideas of moral and greater good. Siegmund Freud called this the Superego, and I think there is some truth in it. The difference may be, that religious people all try to talk about the same god and th same rules, while essentially they all have their own litte god in them, who is a moral instance of their own. The rules this god makes, may be similar to the rules other gods make for other people, because you were influenced by the same holy texts or education, but god is only a part of yourself. Just like the freudian superego is.

12. FireKoi

FireKoi New Fapstronaut

Non religious here!

Realized how distructive this was in many aspects of my life. Doing this for me. Feel free to chat!

13. OscarWao

OscarWao Fapstronaut

Hey, I'm an agnostic atheist. (I admit I don't have all the knowledge in the world, but I also reject the claim that there is a god.) I am also a fapstronaut. Feel free to friend me or talk as you like.

14. PrinceYann

PrinceYann Fapstronaut

Hey, I'm an agnostic atheist. I think God is just a human tool (a toy) - for social control, for art, for communication about the unthinkable...

If you believe in God, please, don't talk to me about that or I will become bored and look elsewhere for a company, but I don't think you should die or that your religion should be gone forever, so stay cool.

15. nopenofap

nopenofap Fapstronaut

Well, I would call myself non-religious.

Officially, I'm Catholic, but I'm not believing.

I don't really like religion at all, but I definetly accept religious people, as long as they aren't extremists or fundamentalists, because extremism is always a bad thing.

16. Soul Cage

Soul Cage Fapstronaut

With you there Law_001

We are answerable only to ourselves, realising that there is no father figure that is judging you or that is going to offer your ultimate salvation or damnation... that is liberating. More importantly it puts the responsibility for your life squarely back in your own lap.

This amusing infographic puts things back in perspective.... follow it down to the bottom of the page....

http://imgur.com/e9DJjCo

17. ChrisHaven

ChrisHaven Fapstronaut