1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Isolation, not enough human contact, causing increased chance of depression?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Apr 29, 2022.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

This seems to be something I hear a lot about people who are unemployed for whatever reason, who don't get enough human contact, because they're unemployed, they isolate, they don't see other people anywhere near as much as they should.

This does make sense to me, that people could suffer from depression because they don't see other people enough, they're stuck in the house too much.

But then I hear a lot of other people talking about the solution for these people is getting back into employment asap, getting out into the world, seeing other people etc.

But something I was thinking. Think of all the people who now work from home these days. Where their jobs consist purely of online work, telephone work, all from home.

I guess what I am getting at is I don't see much difference between someone who is unemployed who is stuck in the house too much, who doesn't get enough human contact vs someone who works from home who is stuck in the house too much, who doesn't get enough human contact. I don't see how these two situations are much different, in terms of their lack of social contact, being isolated etc.

A lot of these people are actually employed, yet they're still suffering from depression for the exact same reason as the unemployed people.

But then I also hear that a lot of people actually like working from home, actually preferring it. Obviously not all people, but a lot of people. So yeah it's just a strange one for me.

2. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

I believe PMO plays a significant part whether one suffers from depression, or whether or not one would isolate from others. Due to PMO addiction, many people lost motivation in life and become depressed. Also, their physical and mental health declined. These factors may cause someone to quit his job, staying unemployed and not wanting to meet anyone (isolating himself). In this case, there's an indirect correlation between isolation and depression. I am not sure about working from home, but I guess it may also be a trigger to PMO for some people, due to much less time spent outdoors.

I agree staying at home for too long may contribute to depression, yet I believe there are many other factors.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  3. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

Yea, human contact does seem to be important for us humans. Being alone sometimes can be nice though, too.

As far as depression.. there are a lot of different causes for that I think... probably will depend on each individual case.

But I think good, genuine, and healthy human contact makes most people happy

4. Julian Baker

Julian Baker Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

This is a really good topic to raise and a huge area of debate in Psychology in the area of 'social interaction' and 'the need to belong' and what it means to be lonely. We are social beings and studies clearly show that we are generally healthier and happier and thrive more when we have supportive social networks, but in the modern world a social network can take so many different forms and can be enagged with on so many different platforms.

I think covid helped to re-draw some social lines which we are maybe still adjusting to as a (global) society, and like skaterdrew says, there's definitely some grey areas because of the ability to work from home and maybe people are just learning to adapt. I know my neighbour became really depressed because she felt so isolated through covid as she had to stop being a kindergarten teacher. For me, I'm pretty well trained to be alone and could easily handle what covid threw my way.

In some ways I feel I have more options to connect because of the internet and Zoom meetings, for example, but it's not the same as in person interactions which are a bit more intimate. That said, connecting with a community of people going through similar experiences as me, like with you guys here on Nofap, has helped raise my spirits at a particularly difficult time in my life and when traditionally closer relationships like family and friends haven't been there at all.

Still, I'm with brokenmillenial when he says too much isolation isn't good for you.

brokenmillennial likes this.
  5. BootstrapBill

BootstrapBill Fapstronaut

I think there is also the fact that if you are unemployed obviously you become stagnant in life . You lack the financial backing to do a lot of things. And if you have a social group but your life is on pause because you can barely afford to live that can kill momentum in people's lives on top of social isolation and a sense of failure the unknown for the future ontop of extremely restricted income it's easy to see how people become depressed in this circumstance. Basically your life's on pause while you have no money no friends no gf . And you barely have enough to eat every day . So there's that. Pmo is a temporary bridge to feel something . But is also part of the demise because it kills motivation. Speaking from someone who has been long-term unemployed 2 years it fucking sucks . But so does work . Every job miserable exhausting slave labour. Too tired for life . So this is it . If there are women and good social circle in work ( previous employment) it makes work more than work . My uncle and aunt work in the same building he's a director she is a secretary they've been together 20/30 years . Guess every man has to make his own opportunities. But I mean just look at covid everyone in lockdown was complaining about the impact of isolation. But the unemployed, the disabled and potentially people working from home had been experiencing the social isolation from COVID long before COVID

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    BrighterFuture and desmond318 like this.
  6. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Ah, but you see, loneliness is only one reason for unemployed people being so often miserable.

Humans have evolved to have a natural urge to be useful to the society, because small hunter gatherer tribes couldn't afford to "pull dead weight" by supporting members who weren't doing their part. I spent a couple of years of my life doing basically nothing and living off of social security. At the time I felt worthless and at a constant threat of becoming a social outcast despite the fact that I had supportive friends and family. It's very deep rooted in our psychology I think.

Also a lot of people who end up being unemployed long time might struggle finding employment because of being depressed and miserable rather than being depressed and miserable due to their unemployment.

7. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

I relate with this so much, I lost all motivation due to not keeping a social circle around me + losing my short time jobs over and over again
    not sure if I can name this "depression" but yeah I'm just feeling weak and disappointed all the time

Even during lockdown, I couldn't care less, but it did really have an influence on my social circle and the outcome of my life

This topic is the best definition me right now, keep the knowledge flowing in, i'm highly interested