1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Scripture reading, meditation, and the EUREKA moment!

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

I just finished reading a book on mathematics, and towards the end the author highlights some misconceptions of our understanding of ‘genius’. Yes, mathematicians are generally very smart people, but the idea of super-savants who can prove difficult theorems with little effort are rare. A ‘EUREKA!’ moment is not necessarily encountered during a period of intense study and it is not necessarily clear when one is approaching one. Often, despite weeks, months or years of seemingly fruitless labour, the eureka moment comes out of nowhere. The mathematician might be thinking about his problem while doing some unrelated task until suddenly the penny drops and he has his answer, as clear as day.

As a scientist I sometimes have similar moments while driving home after work, or while I’m on the toilet!

But even if these epiphanies happen not during but after periods of intense study, that intense study is still necessary. You won’t have a eureka moment in the car without having first dedicated time and energy into the study.

Eureka moments with God

The Bible frequently reminds us to study God’s word and meditate on it.

“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” - Joshua 1:8

“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.” - Psalm 1:1-3

“when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;” - Psalm 63:6

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” - Psalm 119:105

“My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.” - Proverbs 3:1-2

But, perhaps you often feel you are getting nowhere when you read God’s word or seek Him in prayer? No closer to God, no closer to solving life’s problems and no closer to overcoming PMO. But keep at it because perhaps it will not be during these studies or periods of meditation that God speak to you (though He might do of course!), but after.

Long periods of study and meditation prepare us to hear God more clearly. The answers may not come immediately but the more time we spend with God and His Word, the more prepared we will be to hear them and understand them.

Eureka moments with recovery

Key to my recovery has been recognising what drives me to PMO and to the specific sexual desires I have. This involves a long hard look at my childhood, what I was missing then, what I’m still missing now, how I’ve sought to fulfil the needs with PMO and how God actually fulfils the need. I have also examined my failings more generally, how PMO may have exacerbated them and vis-versa, and what I’m more generally letting stand between my relationships with God and with other people.

At first glance this may seem wishy-washy and perhaps you see no connection between certain events in your childhood, certain behaviours now, and your PMO habits. In many cases perhaps there genuinely is no connection, but in some fragment of cases there probably is, and you will not be prepared to recognise them unless you start looking.

Once again, the answers may not come to light straight away. But by spending time trying, spending time understanding God’s will according to the advice I give above, you may just one day – while walking the dog or driving home or washing the dishes - have a EUREKA moment that God uses to free you from your addiction or other sinful practices.

Stommy and Tao Jones like this.
  2. I think this dynamic is what truly drives the "10,000 hours = mastery" canard. If our minds are steeped in something, then we begin to filter all of life through that lens. Unexpected insights pop up all the time. But we can only give this level of focus and attention to a few things in one lifetime, so we must choose carefully. Investing time in our connection with God, via whatever spiritual pathway we choose, will never be wasted. Nor will time invested in loving relationships with others. Set aside a little focus every day for your vocational work, and maybe a hobby or two, and that is about all you can manage! But it is more than enough for a rich, rewarding, deeply satisfying life. Eureka! :)

Stommy and XandeXIV like this.
  3. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

What do you mean specifically?

4. I am saying that if you give appropriate time to connecting with God, other loved ones in your inner circle, your vocation, and a hobby or two, you will not have any time left over -- and your life will be simple and deeply satisfying.